First date ideas?

8 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

tennis

Hard to talk while playing tennis - you kinda have to yell back and forth across the court - just my perception.  Ping-pong, on the other hand, is a little easier (for talking - I wouldn't want to try playing, I suck at it).  Pool - if you can find a table that's not in a bar - might be OK.  Arcade games (do they still have these?).

Around here, there's an ice cream shop that does a painting class (for people who can't paint), like once a month - you could sign up for that.  (Really, people can make better paintings than they think they can, given a little instruction.)  As I recall, everything is provided, you just show up and pay.

Some of my favourite first dates involved going on picnics where there was ample time to do the shopping together which was particularly helpful with my future wife because she has a lot of food sensitivities and couldn't just go eat out. I also enjoyed dates involving making meals together. 

I agree with the general idea of doing something somewhat active that allows for conversation. I agree that minigolf works well. If you have a corn maze in your area that can be kind of fun. You could build a kite together and then go fly it. You could be bolder than I ever was and sign up for a ballroom dancing class and explain you need a partner. I would suggest that you find something that you enjoy, or at least think you will enjoy if you are getting adventurous.

Also, don't take yourself too seriously on a first date. It really is an opportunity to get to know someone and have some fun. In any event you probably can't go any more wrong than I did the time that I was given some professional wrestling tickets at work. I had only been in the ward three or four weeks and really didn't know anyone, so my room-mates were going to set me up on a blind date if I didn't call up someone myself. So I called a sister in the student ward and asked her to go to this wrestling event with me... suffice it to say the concept of professional wrestling was lost on this dear young lady and we didn't stay at the event more than 30 minutes before we decided to simply go for a walk instead. I could've been embarrassed about the whole thing or worried that I'd ruined any chance to get to know that particular sister any better, but instead I have a fond memory of a first date that was so horrible it was great. 

I can't believe that you Utahrds are talking about "first dates" when there are children starving! The world has REAL problems, you know! Get out of your cultural bubble, you pathetic sheeple!

This PSA brought to you courtesy of Europe and the entire northern Hemisphere. Helping Utahrds in a non-judgmental way since 2017.®

5 minutes ago, Vort said:

I can't believe that you Utahrds are talking about "first dates" when there are children starving! The world has REAL problems, you know! Get out of your cultural bubble, you pathetic sheeple!

This PSA brought to you courtesy of Europe and the entire northern Hemisphere. Helping Utahrds in a non-judgmental way since 2017.®

Erm.  Isn't Utah a subset of the northern hemisphere?

21 hours ago, Danny Phantom said:

Hey all! Just trying to brainstorm some good first date ideas that would allow for a good amount of conversation while not allowing too many opportunities for awkward silences. Does anyone have any good suggestions?

well, my advice to you would be : interested is interesting. It is always good to show interest in your opposite. 

also, I would not take her or him to dinner at a place I haven´t eaten before. Check it out first, no worse date spoiler than a location that does not do or perform as it was expected. 

also take it easy. a first date is not a proposal ;-) other than that be charming, polite and attentive. Be daring and delicate alike . =)