Fountain Pen Fun

Guest LiterateParakeet

Just now, zil said:

5?  The Tradio, the Franklin Covey, and two Lamys.  What's the fifth?  Oh, that calligraphy?

The Styluscript I got from Michael's.  It's not as good as the Tradio even.  My other kid ended up with it.  Yes, he also wants his own pen.  So, I guess I'm gonna get 2 more All-Stars for their Christmas presents.

Guest LiterateParakeet

LOL, Anatess, I love that you have "connected" with fountain pens.  I agree; they are AMAZING.  Lamy's are my favorite pen too.  If I could only have one pen (horrors!), it would be one of my Lamy's (I have four).  

Oh my stars, that Lamy Blue Black is beautiful!  I really like your handwriting too...like zil said it's easily legible, and fun to look at.  I think that blue black might just be the color I have been searching for.  I've been trying different blues, but haven't found just the right thing.  I think Lamy Blue Black could be it.  Can't wait to try a sample!!!  Off to Goulet Pens....

Well... check-writing was a fail.  It looks great on the check but it doesn't go through the carbon copy.  But then... who cares about the carbon copy anymore anyway?  They got the check image on the online bank statement now.  My husband says, "well, the copy is for when the bank messes up!".  Hmm...

17 hours ago, zil said:

I really recommend getting ink samples rather than full bottles (although for basic colors it's less risky).  Anywho, here's a page with all the reds they have at Goulet Pens.  If you like some, let me know and I'll look up reviews on it - red inks can be tricky.  I personally recommend against Noodler's (the brand), others like them, but I find them problematic.

Forgot to post the link!

https://www.gouletpens.com/ink-samples/c/21/?sortBy=productName+asc&facetValueFilter=Tenant~Ink_Color%3Ared

4 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Well... check-writing was a fail.  It looks great on the check but it doesn't go through the carbon copy.  But then... who cares about the carbon copy anymore anyway?  They got the check image on the online bank statement now.  My husband says, "well, the copy is for when the bank messes up!".  Hmm...

Yeah, the whole point of fountain pens is that you don't have to press down hard.  But carbon copies require you to press down hard.  There are vintage pens (you know, from back in the days when carbon copies represented a technological advancement) with nibs designed for this, and you can try pressing straight down, but be careful, if you spring the tines (splay them), you'll ruin the nib - hold the pen perpendicular to the paper if you're gonna try it.

You may have to switch to some modern technology for checks - like cash, online bill-pay through your bank, credit cards, keeping the receipt, or using a check register... ;)  I'd suggest using a rollerball, but that would be blasphemy!

2 minutes ago, zil said:

Yeah, the whole point of fountain pens is that you don't have to press down hard.  But carbon copies require you to press down hard.  There are vintage pens (you know, from back in the days when carbon copies represented a technological advancement) with nibs designed for this, and you can try pressing straight down, but be careful, if you spring the tines (splay them), you'll ruin the nib - hold the pen perpendicular to the paper if you're gonna try it.

You may have to switch to some modern technology for checks - like cash, online bill-pay through your bank, credit cards, keeping the receipt, or using a check register... ;)  I'd suggest using a rollerball, but that would be blasphemy!

Hmmm... a different fountain pen for check-writing... 

Yeah yeah... still write checks.  The piano teacher wants checks.  She says it is much easier for her records.  The drum teacher also wants checks and so does the lawn guy and the house cleaner because they don't have card swipers and I can't hang on to cash.

Just now, anatess2 said:

Hmmm... a different fountain pen for check-writing...

Not sure you'll find that good a candidate for carbon copy writing - it takes a surprising amount of pressure (once you get used to not applying pressure).  It's about the only thing ballpoints are good for.

Meanwhile, my bank will let me use the online tool to pay anyone with an address - if necessary, the bank will cut and mail a check for me. :D

17 hours ago, zil said:

Has anyone been watching the BYU show Extinct?

SPOILER ALERT (names left out so-as not to really give anything away)...

In one of the episodes, during a flashback, the former FBI agent character is interviewing another character, and in FBI dude's front suit coat pocket is a blue Pilot Varsity fountain pen:

:)  It made me smile.

Never saw a single BYU show but this conversation just happened one second ago:

Mr. Anatess <looking at bank statements>:  Who just spent $150 on stationary?
Anatess:  I did.  It's not just for stationary, it's for my pens.  It's a splurge I know but I haven't bought anything for myself in a long time.  I tried calling you before I bought it but you didn't pick up your phone.
Mr. Anatess:  You don't have to defend yourself.  Just making sure it wasn't fraud.
Anatess Jr:  Mom hasn't gotten anything in a while... so she spends $150 on a pen... like, that's a whole pair of Michael Kors shoes.
Anatess:  The pen is mightier than the shoes.
Mr. Anatess:  That's almost a shotgun.
Anatess Jr:  I could've invested that money, wait a few years, and buy a Falcor Petra.
Anatess:  Get your own money.  I'm spending mine on pens and stationary so you can go shoot stuff while I write about it.
Mr. Anatess:  I could've gone to a football game.
Anatess Jr:  We're boycotting the NFL.  Mom, go get another pen before Dad spends the money on tickets.

Boom!  And just like that, I can buy another pen...

10 hours ago, zil said:

Happy Fountain Pen Day (first Friday in November) from Nib & Inky!

FPD2017.jpg

Check with your favorite fountain pen store today - some have 1-day sales! :)

http://www.fountainpenday.org/

Great.  I read this at 9PM.  And I was so looking forward to getting that green-colored Al-star for my kid.

• 2 weeks later...

Ha! I knew if I looked hard enough, I could find a reason why this thread should be taken down and now I’ve found two reasons. First, this thread needs to be taken down as it violates the Mormonhub rules and terms of service. Paragraph 7 of the Mormon Hub Terms of Use Agreement – Content/Activity Prohibited - bans content that contains nudity, but every picture of a fountain pen that I’ve seen on this thread is completely nude. Second, Rule number 2 states that  Keep in mind that anything posted, uploaded, or otherwise displayed on the site should be understandable.” This thread violates this rule because surely no one would really understand all this nonsense about fountain pens being a good thing.

• 4 months later...
33 minutes ago, Grunt said:

It's a Monte Verde Cube.  

I had no question.  That must have been left in my buffer from another question I never asked.

Interesting.  How does it write?  You must be shopping in completely different places - a lot of your pens are ones I've never heard of. :)

No offense, but that blue ink looks seriously yawnville - it's like it's trying to imitate a bic round stick! :eek:

6 minutes ago, zil said:

Interesting.  How does it write?  You must be shopping in completely different places - a lot of your pens are ones I've never heard of. :)

No offense, but that blue ink looks seriously yawnville - it's like it's trying to imitate a bic round stick! :eek:

I'm on MassDrop a lot.  

That blue ink was a cartridge that came with the pen.  Nothing I bought.