Biking more and more

NightSG

So much more fun than just doing a loop and ending up back home without doing much in between.

https://texasfromtheothersaddle.wordpress.com/2017/10/01/s24o-dinosaur-valley-state-park/

Plus I got a cool dinosaur book for my oldest, a couple of mineral samples and a 3D postcard for my youngest, (and the fun of telling her "I hauled rocks 30 miles on a bicycle for you, so you could act a little more appreciative") and a DVSP patch that I need to sew on one of my bags so I can remember to build the collection as I head out to farther away parks.  I think Lake Mineral Wells at about 53 miles is the next target.  Lake Meridian, while slightly closer, has a real monster of a hill in the last couple miles, and I have friends near the far end of the MW Trailway that will put me up in a much nicer accommodation than a hammock in the park, plus no camping fee.

Edited by NightSG

Guest LiterateParakeet

I loved this. You just got a new follower!  Bike touring is something I want to get into.

How long have you been biking? 

Edited by LiterateParakeet

Off and on for 7 years. Started bike commuting pretty much exclusively in March of 2016 after my Pontiac died. 

Rode up to Mineral Wells and Weatherford this weekend, but ended up having to call for a ride after 73 miles when my back wheel started having problems. Would have been a tricky fix on the road, (though I have a friend nearby with a small workshop who offered his couch for the night) and the only person I could think of who would recognize the three not so common tools I'd need from my garage had a truck anyway, so I just had him come get me.

FWIW, if you're looking into touring, rail trails can be great, since they don't exceed the old railroad's ruling grade, but that also means climbs can go for miles.  On the Mineral Wells to Weatherford trail, going east, you're climbing almost continuously for about 5-6 miles on a fine gravel surface.  Getting back on asphalt after that was a pretty interesting experience; it really felt like I'd had about a half pound of sugar and a couple of energy drinks.  Suddenly 10-12mph wasn't a grueling challenge anymore.

Guest LiterateParakeet

Rail trails, huh?  I'll look into that.  We have a lot of beautiful trails here in Washington.  Being a female, it's a little iffy to go alone.  I'm trying to convince my hubby to be my riding buddy.  

Do you ride year round?  I suppose the weather in Texas is pretty tolerable.  I could ride in the winter here, but I'm a whimp and I hate the cold.  I'll need some fenders too.

I've ridden in everything from 114F down to 17F.  Cold is actually easier, as you can always add more layers, though that day I overdid it a bit and was starting to sweat through the inner layers by the end of the commute.  Getting your cold weather gear sweaty pretty much kills way too much of the insulation, and there's no way to fix it on the road.