Strange things people do

zil

When I'm driving alone (which is the vast majority of my driving), I crank the music up as loud as it will go (so that I can't hear myself) and sing along (at the top of my lungs, with whatever emotion is relevant to the song).  I'm reasonably certain I'm not the only person who does this (though I don't often notice others doing it, and TV would have me believe everyone else is laughing at me while I do - which is fine by me, because, to quote one of my favorite sing-along songs, it makes me happyyyyyyy).

The strange thing, though (not that above isn't necessarily strange), is that a fair number of the drivers immediately in front of me seem to get upset by this.  They seem to think I'm screaming at them instead of singing along to the MP3 player.  Some of them get really upset.  Some of them spend so much time looking in the rear view mirror that they can't maintain their lane (at least, I assume that's why they can't maintain their lane).  Some have pulled off to the side of the road, glared at me as I drove on by, and then pulled back out right behind me.  More than one has flipped me off as I drove past while they were in another lane.  I can only remember this happening in Utah.  I suppose it could be because freeway distances are too far to make out details in the rear view mirror, and Okies don't care what the driver of the car behind them is doing, but it seems strange...

It's almost enough to have reverse lettering put at the top of my windshield: "I'm singing, idiot."  (But that doesn't seem very charitable, and I just can't see myself leaving the "idiot" part off.... :annoyed: )

So, what strange things do people do where you are? :D

Well, there was this one lady that had her radio so loud that it went through the car between us and then the sound penetrated our vehicle too.  I couldn't understand how she wasn't deaf.

Then the bass hit, and it was like a minor earthquake hit our car doors.  I think the people in the car next to us (between us and the ladies car) glared at her and may have made some bad gestures with their hands or something like that.

:P

Just joshing around with the idea presented in the original post.

1 minute ago, JohnsonJones said:

Well, there was this one lady that had her radio so loud that it went through the car between us and then the sound penetrated our vehicle too.  I couldn't understand how she wasn't deaf.

Then the bass hit, and it was like a minor earthquake hit our car doors.  I think the people in the car next to us (between us and the ladies car) glared at her and may have made some bad gestures with their hands or something like that.

:P

Just joshing around with the idea presented in the original post.

Subwoofers rock! ;)

Guest MormonGator
Just now, beefche said:

Do you mean strange things people do in public or private?  :P

Hey now, what you do in private is your own business-keep it that way! ;)

3 minutes ago, Vort said:

I like to crank General Conference to the max and then shout along with Elder Oaks.

That literally had me laughing out loud.  And the music wasn't loud enough to drown me out.  Of course, I'm not in a car, so that's more common than not...

PS: I'm guessing even Elder Oaks would laugh at that.

4 hours ago, zil said:

Guess it's a good thing you're not in Utah - that's illegal here.

ETA: Oh, I get it. :lol:

I guess they turn a blind eye to it in certain swampy parts of Florida.

Letting oneself become part of the collection also sounds like a strange thing to do :) 

Some strange things people do that I've only noticed since working at a call center.

I'm always looking for a "hello?" when someone picks up the phone because a lot of times the phone system will mess up; it'll stop ringing in my headset but nobody has actually picked up. Sometimes people will pick up the line and just sit there silently, and while I'm still trying to figure out if it's an answering machine, a system malfunction or if someone is actually there, they'll all of a sudden in a really annoyed voice say, "HELLO???" like I'm the idiot who just answers my phone without saying anything.

A lot of times, because I'm wanting them to take a survey, people "expect" me to know when they are busy. Like it's the most obvious thing in the world, "Um, we're eating dinner right now!" Yeah, because duh. Or, "OBVIOUSLY, I don't have time for this!" What? Did you catch sight of me at your window, peering in? How did you know that I was deliberately calling you while you were busy? That sounds like the optimal situation for everybody if my motives were simply to irritate you.

Another one that gets me is a lot of surveys are about goods and services and one of the opening questions will be for you to rate on a scale, 0-10, how likely you are to recommend that service to a friend or family member. An 8 or lower prompt a change in the next question from "What do you like about ___?" to "What could ___ do to better meet your needs?" People will rate it a 3 or a 4 for the first question and then when I ask the next, they have "no idea". One of my prompts is to specifically ask why they'd rate them so low on the scale and sometimes it's still, "I don't know" "Just handin' out low numbers I guess. Feelin' kinda discontented today."

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, a mustard seed said:

Some strange things people do that I've only noticed since working at a call center.

I worked at an incoming call center in college for a popular (at the time) womens clothing company, J. Jill. I know what you mean about the call center thing! 

25 minutes ago, zil said:

Hate to break it to you, @a mustard seed, but absolutely no one wants a solicitor (and asking for opinions is soliciting) to call them, ever.  Get used to people hating you. :)

Ah, lol. Well, while I did know that, I see that it doesn't fit the thread topic of "strange" after all. What I am describing above is just the natural order of things.

I actually don't mind phone calls for survey's as long as it's done nicely and properly.

What I don't like...phone companies (AT&T) that sell their customers numbers to these call centers and expect that people are going to be happy about being cold called for no good reason.

3-4 call centers calling me each day at all times of the day.

What I'd prefer...and what I do answer...

When there is some sort of survey online, if they want to do a follow-up survey on the phone, I'm normally very happy to do so.

When some service I've received asks for me to do a survey on their service or product, I'm more than happy to do that.

In the former, I hate the cold calls, many times on things I could care less about.

In the latter, I have experience and know what my opinions are, and can regulate how many and when I am contacted about them.  Wish more companies would do the latter instead of the former, I expect they may get better survey results that are more accurate then when they do the former.

23 hours ago, zil said:

When I'm driving alone (which is the vast majority of my driving), I crank the music up as loud as it will go (so that I can't hear myself) and sing along (at the top of my lungs, with whatever emotion is relevant to the song).  I'm reasonably certain I'm not the only person who does this

Yay!  We auto voice talent folk will someday rule the world!

Here is a bunch of us: