Mormon Land

Grunt

47 minutes ago, Grunt said:

How am I supposed to know that? 

Because it was a podcast about Mormons, their views, and their culture.

Here's a hint: If it's not produced by the church or one of it's affiliates, it's probably an open sewer.

When the angel Moroni told Joseph that his name would be had for good and evil I think he meant Joseph and all that stemmed therefrom -- as in Mormondom.

I take it as a comfort (not to be confused with "proof") that the church is God's work. Satan and his minions are working overtime.

LDS Perspectives and Maxwell Institute are both pretty good podcasts.  I find Leading LDS to be kind of hit-or-miss, depending on the guest.

I also listen to Radio West hosted by by Doug Fabrizio, a local NPR guy in Salt Lake.  He occasionally does LDS-oriented stuff—usually when the Church is in the middle of some local controversy.  I find myself often wanting to yell at my iPhone when I listen to him; but I think the process leaves me better informed.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

4 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

...Here's a hint: If it's not produced by the church or one of it's affiliates, it's probably an open sewer....

This forum is not produced or affiliated with the LDS church - is this forum an open sewer?

M.

12 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Here's a hint: If it's not produced by the church or one of it's affiliates, it's probably an open sewer.

As Maureen pointed out, this is definitely too narrow of a window. In fact, I believe it is important to sometimes look at sources outside the church. That does not mean I take every report, including those anti-LDS, and listen to all they have to say. But different views, so long as they are sincere and approached in the right attitude, can give us perspective and broaden our understanding. For instance, the church has published articles discussing difficult topics in the last few years. It seems to me that these were related to the comments about the church white washing their history.  For this reason and many others, we need to be open to and recognize opposite opinions, even if we ultimately disagree.  

I'm going to roll back what I said ever so slightly and restate:

Here's a hint: If it's not produced by the church it has potential to contain sewage.

Note I'm removing affiliates of the church, as I have been recently reminded that Deseret Book has some stuff that I consider downright insidious.

Guest MormonGator
On 10/4/2017 at 6:57 PM, Grunt said:

How am I supposed to know that?  I see a podcast about Mormons, their views, and their culture and think I'll dive right in.  It needs a disclaimer.

Don't worry about it bud. When you are outside the LDS bubble/culture sometimes it can very confusing about what podcast/blog/website is "faith promoting" or detrimental to faith development.    

On 10/4/2017 at 6:57 PM, Grunt said:

How am I supposed to know that?  I see a podcast about Mormons, their views, and their culture and think I'll dive right in.  It needs a disclaimer.

Just ask me. I excel at telling people what to do and what to think. :P

Guest MormonGator
15 hours ago, beefche said:

Just ask me. I excel at telling people what to do and what to think. :P

"True freedom is doing what I tell you to do."-Shift the Ape from Narnia.