Hello!  I'm a Christian but I have always found myself drawn to the Mormon church,  I find it so fascinating and I love that it answers some questions surrounding my faith that my own church doesn't.  I was wondering if there's any factual evidence to back up the Book of Mormon? Thank you so much to anyone who takes the time to answer my questions! 

Hi @Wondering_orchid, welcome to the forums and checking out the Church!

13 minutes ago, Wondering_orchid said:

I was wondering if there's any factual evidence to back up the Book of Mormon? Thank you so much to anyone who takes the time to answer my questions! 

Which types of evidence are you wanting?

I would suggest that the best type of evidence comes straight from asking God and listening to His Spirit testify of Truth.  After all, God is the source of all Truth and it is through His witness that we know the Truth of all things (like that Jesus is the Christ).  

Factual evidence?  Absolutely.  Conclusive, convincing evidence?  No, not much.  

Factual evidence includes the testimony of the three and eight witnesses (the more people claim to have seen an item, the less likely it is to be made up or fraudulent).  And also a host of other things that, while absolutely not conclusive or even convincing, constitutes factual evidence.  Here's a decent summary of them: http://www.jefflindsay.com/BMEvidences.shtml

It's important to remember that evidence is not proof.   The millions of Mormons didn't get convinced by looking at the archaeological record or anything like that.  The Book of Mormon promises a spiritual confirmation - direct communication from the Lord that it is what it claims to be, and the church is what it claims to be.

4 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Factual evidence?  Absolutely.  Conclusive, convincing evidence?  No, not much.  

Same with the most important fact: that Jesus Christ was/is the Son of God and Savior of the world.  No archeological evidence or man is ever going to scientifically prove that to anyone. 

Edited by Jane_Doe

Welcome, @Wondering_orchid! :)  I hope you stick around and we can enjoy many conversations.

As already mentioned, all the facts in the world, all the evidence in the world will not be nearly so convincing as the Holy Ghost.

As evidence of this principle, I offer cigarettes and potato chips.  All the evidence you need that these are bad for you is printed right on the outside of the packaging.  And yet, some people still smoke cigarettes, and even more people (myself included) enjoy far too many potato chips per annum. ;)

@DoctorLemon, was it you who recently listed a boatload of evidentiary reasons to believe in the Book of Mormon?

(Firefox, in case you were wondering, needs to add legal and financial terms to its dictionary.)

Here are thoughts from other members of the Church that they feel gives evidence to the Book of Mormon.

1) http://www.jefflindsay.com/BMEvidences.shtml

2) https://www.fairmormon.org/archive/publications/archaeological-evidence-and-the-book-of-mormon

3)

4) http://bookofmormonevidence.org/

In sharing these though, the greatest witness we can receive is from God through our own personal study and prayer.

Thank you for replying to my question! What I mean is; is there any evidence to support the Book of Mormon? In the way that there is evidence from both Christian and non Christian sources that confirm that Jesus walked this earth?  I have great faith in Jesus as my saviour; I just feel that outside that it's very difficult to figure out which church is true to God!  

29 minutes ago, Wondering_orchid said:

Thank you for replying to my question! What I mean is; is there any evidence to support the Book of Mormon? In the way that there is evidence from both Christian and non Christian sources that confirm that Jesus walked this earth?  I have great faith in Jesus as my saviour; I just feel that outside that it's very difficult to figure out which church is true to God!  

Human archeologists can say that a dude named Jesus was around Jerusalem ~0 AD.  And also that a dude named Mohammad was around Mecca ~600 AD.  And some dude called Buddha when and where he should be.

But human archeologists can never prove to you that Jesus Christ was the Son of God.  That knowledge you have comes from God.  And God likewise is the one to grant you the knowledge of which church is truly His.

Edited by Jane_Doe

18 minutes ago, Wondering_orchid said:

As a Christian, how do you feel those who lived before Christ was born discovered the truth that a Savior would be born? There was no evidence that a virgin would give birth. There was no evidence that Jesus walked the earth. All they had at this time were prophecies that a babe would be born to a virgin. Yet they believed a babe would be born that would bear the sins of the world and save them.

The next question will be direct (not intended to cause any contention) regarding the last sentence specifying, "outside that it's very difficult to figure out which church is true to God!" Do you feel (as a Christian) prayer is "difficult", or do you feel God is able to reveal truth through prayer that you can understand and know for yourself (as a Christian)? (James 1: 5-6)

I would recommend exercising that great faith in our Savior that he indeed does have the ability to reveal truth to you, outside of archeological evidence, to know which church is true to God. And as with Peter, there is no greater witness then revelation from the Father -- not of flesh and blood. :)

46 minutes ago, zil said:

Welcome, @Wondering_orchid! :)  I hope you stick around and we can enjoy many conversations.

As already mentioned, all the facts in the world, all the evidence in the world will not be nearly so convincing as the Holy Ghost.

As evidence of this principle, I offer cigarettes and potato chips.  All the evidence you need that these are bad for you is printed right on the outside of the packaging.  And yet, some people still smoke cigarettes, and even more people (myself included) enjoy far too many potato chips per annum. ;)

@DoctorLemon, was it you who recently listed a boatload of evidentiary reasons to believe in the Book of Mormon?

(Firefox, in case you were wondering, needs to add legal and financial terms to its dictionary.)

I did write a list, but for some reason I can't find it using search functionality at the moment.  

Some of the evidences I can think of off the top of my head include: the presence of chiasmus in the Book of Mormon (Bible-era complex poetry), hebraisms (Hebrew-based names and words), wordprint studies (revealing multiple writing styles - and thus multiple authors - who wrote the Book of Mormon, none of whom match Joseph Smith's writing style), the presence of complex philosophy (remember, Joseph Smith was an uneducated backwoods farmboy at the time the Book of Mormon came forth), incredible internal consistency (again, Joseph Smith was a backwoods farmboy), the presence of Arabic grammar and words (revealing semitic origins), internal consistency regarding Nephite vs. Jaredite naming systems (revealing two distinct cultures), a very accurate portrayal of Lehi's journey across the distant and then poorly understood lands of Arabia (again, brought forth by Joseph Smith, an uneducated farmboy), and in the Church outside the Book of Mormon, the accurate restoration of numerous complex First-Century Christian beliefs and practices including baptism for the dead, temple worship, the role of faith and works, and a general "feel" that is extremely similar to what the early church fathers wrote about in their writings.  It should also be noted that Joseph Smith, a backwoods farmboy, was able to convince a number of men of great renown, to put their reputations and even lives on the line in testifying of the Book of Mormon, the existence of "golden plates" from where it came, etc. - either Joseph Smith was the most talented conman in history (unlikely, since he suffered horribly for his religious beliefs and was ultimately murdered before he turned 40) or he is exactly what he purports to be - a prophet of God.

I have a very hard time believing that a backwoods uneducated farmboy, Joseph Smith, could fraudulently bring forth a work such as the Book of Mormon based on the partial list above.  In other words, something is going on here that is bigger than Joseph Smith being a con man.  As such, I am personally inclined to believe the most logical conclusion is Joseph Smith is exactly what he claimed to be - a prophet of God, who really did translate the Book of Mormon by the power of God, and who really did restore Christianity to its First Century roots.

Moreover, I think the above evidence of Joseph Smith also is evidence that Jesus Christ and God exist and are exactly what they purport to be in the Bible and Book of Mormon.  If you prove Joseph Smith was a prophet, then you prove that Christ is the Son of God and God the Son, and God the Father exists.

At various times in my life I have seriously questioned my faith and have seriously investigated other religions.  However, every time this happens and I seriously and prayerfully search I always wind up coming to the conclusion that Joseph Smith really was a prophet of God and the Church is true.  The above evidence helps to remind me that something wonderful and miraculous is going on with Joseph Smith and the Church he founded.

Of course, what really keeps me anchored is the Holy Spirit testifying that the Church is true, that Joseph Smith really was a prophet.  No words can do justice to these feelings I have within myself.  But my testimony does include the above knowledge as well.

Edited by DoctorLemon

2 minutes ago, zil said:

I think you mean "across Arabia" or "to the Americas" or something?

indeed, it is "across Arabia".

Lehi's journey is geographically very sound and descriptions match up to what the geography of Arabia really is.

It would be like if you wrote a book about a trek across Madagascar, and got all of the geography and descriptions of conditions right.  Now, imagine if you did this while living in a log cabin in the American frontier 200 years ago with almost zero formal education and very little by way of reference books, etc.

Edited by DoctorLemon

8 hours ago, Anddenex said:

As a Christian, how do you feel those who lived before Christ was born discovered the truth that a Savior would be born? There was no evidence that a virgin would give birth. There was no evidence that Jesus walked the earth. All they had at this time were prophecies that a babe would be born to a virgin. Yet they believed a babe would be born that would bear the sins of the world and save them.

The next question will be direct (not intended to cause any contention) regarding the last sentence specifying, "outside that it's very difficult to figure out which church is true to God!" Do you feel (as a Christian) prayer is "difficult", or do you feel God is able to reveal truth through prayer that you can understand and know for yourself (as a Christian)? (James 1: 5-6)

I would recommend exercising that great faith in our Savior that he indeed does have the ability to reveal truth to you, outside of archeological evidence, to know which church is true to God. And as with Peter, there is no greater witness then revelation from the Father -- not of flesh and blood. :)

Hello!  In answer to your question, I don't find prayer difficult, but I do find it difficult to figure out what is God speaking to me and what is just me!  I feel convicted by God to seek more of His truth - There are just so many different opinions and beliefs I'm finding it hard to know what is the right path to pursue!  Thank you for taking the time to reply to my questions! :)   

5 hours ago, Wondering_orchid said:

There are just so many different opinions and beliefs I'm finding it hard to know what is the right path to pursue!

Man does that sound familiar:

8 ... but so great were the confusion and strife among the different denominations, that it was impossible for a person young as I was, and so unacquainted with men and things, to come to any certain conclusion who was right and who was wrong.

...10 In the midst of this war of words and tumult of opinions, I often said to myself: What is to be done? Who of all these parties are right; or, are they all wrong together? If any one of them be right, which is it, and how shall I know it?

11 While I was laboring under the extreme difficulties caused by the contests of these parties of religionists, I was one day reading the Epistle of James, first chapter and fifth verse, which reads: If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

12 Never did any passage of scripture come with more power to the heart of man than this did at this time to mine. It seemed to enter with great force into every feeling of my heart. I reflected on it again and again, knowing that if any person needed wisdom from God, I did; for how to act I did not know, and unless I could get more wisdom than I then had, I would never know; for the teachers of religion of the different sects understood the same passages of scripture so differently as to destroy all confidence in settling the question by an appeal to the Bible.

Joseph Smith - History 1

11 hours ago, Wondering_orchid said:

I feel convicted by God to seek more of His truth  :)   

Wonderful! Thank you for responding. This statement above is the most important aspect of being followers of Christ. Without this desire, conviction, we will not learn any more than we do now know. The Lord bless you to recognize what he wants in your life.

@zil's last response sums up to me what you are feeling. We all go through a similar though, "I do find it difficult to figure out what is God speaking to me and what is just me!" As I study the scriptures now, and even hear on mormonhub.com, thoughts are presented and at times I have to patiently wait for the witness from the Lord that something is true, because I am not always sure if it is me also. So, wait patiently, continue to study, and God will reveal truth.

My recommendation, study the Book of Mormon. Before you begin reading, pray to Heavenly Father for his love, mercy, and grace. When you read think upon how much God loves you, how much Jesus Christ loves you, and what they have done for you. I promise you, in the name of Jesus Christ, you will receive a witness that the Book of Mormon is true, and you will know it is from God and not yourself -- your own feelings. :)

I am the son of two converts, my parents went through this process.