Always good, want to be bad

MollyMormon

18 hours ago, MollyMormon said:

You made some really good points. Thank you. By naughty I mean things like trying alcohol or gambling or watching bad movies, etc. I'm not sure why I'm feeling that way, other than I'm like the most boring person ever...never drank, tried any drugs, gambled, had sex before marriage, dated before I was 16, said a bad word since I was in 5th grade, watched a rated R movie (I actually don't even watch PG-13 movies), don't drink caffeine, etc. I'm about as straight laced as they come. I am feeling like I somehow missed out a little on the more typical "rebellion years" of young single adulthood, since i got married and had kids so young. I never got to spread my wings and experiment, and now I'm wishing I had, I guess. 

There is a quote from President Monson that has kind of become a Mormon platitude. It goes, "find joy in the journey". In general I like the quote but I have always been a little disappointed because it is missing an important word. He was talking about life and how we should live it. He says, "This is our one and only chance at mortal life—here and now. I plead with you not to let those most important things pass you by as you plan for that illusive and nonexistent future when you will have time to do all that you want to do. Instead, find joy in the journey—now" ("Finding Joy in the Journey", GC Oct 2008, italics added). Did you catch it? It's the word "now". Some time ago after reading this talk and others, the spirit whispered to me that religion is intended to bring us joy now, not simply tomorrow, not after we die, now! This started changing how I lived my life. I started asking myself questions like, "Am I miserable today? Why?" I started to realize that much of my religious posturing had not brought me closer to the joy I sought. My religion was not taking me where I needed to go and something was wrong. That may be what you are feeling and if it is I'm here to say that that feeling my indeed be very right.

Now, as others have done I must provide a word of caution. Because you have found that you need to change do not make the mistake of assuming that sin is what is missing. That path will lead to almost nothing but despair. But make no mistake, some of what we call "religion" is not the real thing and instead of providing joy can bring us down. Maybe I can provide an example from my own life. I once went on a date with a girl who would not watch any movie that had a swear word in it. As we were talking I asked her if she had seen The Truman Show. She asked, "does it have a swear word?" I was shocked. I didn't know if it had a swear word! How was I going to remember that? After all, that was totally beside the point. The movie was not about some swear word. It was about experiencing life! It revealed what made us human and our need to connect with real people. She had cut herself off from that because the movie might have a swear word.  Now that is just one example, but if your life is composed of these types of rules in all sorts of areas your false sense of "religion" will cut you off from living to the fullest.

Jesus him self once said, "I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly" (John 10:10). I urge you to go and find the abundant life. Use the spirit as your guide and let go of so many rules. After all, that was a large part of Jesus' message. The people were bound down by the Law of Moses. Over and over again Jesus broke the rules. Not God's laws but the false structures that men had built up. Let the spirit be your guide. Find the false structures you have built up that are causing you to not connect with people and situations that will allow you to live in joy today.  

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, DoctorLemon said:

I knew people who would not let their children hang out with me as a child because I was Mormon and therefore I might be a "bad influence".

That's really sad. I'm not sure I know of any LDS parents who won't let their kids play with non-LDS kids. I didn't think it was that kind of world anymore. 

20 hours ago, MollyMormon said:

You made some really good points. Thank you. By naughty I mean things like trying alcohol or gambling or watching bad movies, etc. I'm not sure why I'm feeling that way, other than I'm like the most boring person ever...never drank, tried any drugs, gambled, had sex before marriage, dated before I was 16, said a bad word since I was in 5th grade, watched a rated R movie (I actually don't even watch PG-13 movies), don't drink caffeine, etc. I'm about as straight laced as they come. I am feeling like I somehow missed out a little on the more typical "rebellion years" of young single adulthood, since i got married and had kids so young. I never got to spread my wings and experiment, and now I'm wishing I had, I guess. 

So, if I understand you right, you feel as if you missed out on things because you got married young and then had children at a young age as well, but never participated in what the world sometimes calls...fun.

It's been a while, and they do hit upon this in Young Single Adults which you missed, but it sounds almost like you are experiencing temptation from what we would call peer pressure.  It may not be the same peer pressure that you have from friends asking you to do things, but the type of peer pressure where you see things of the world and how they portray it as fun for young people...and you say...gosh...that looks fun.  I sure think I missed out by not doing that.

This is just another form of temptation.  I've been unfortunate (though some wouldn't see as such, it really is to me) to serve in leadership positions where I've had people confess things to me.  It is never fun.  It is never enjoyable.  As much as people say it, in this situation there really is basically two kinds of people.

The first have no regrets.  They have no desire to repent.  They tasted of the world and loved it.  They want to continue doing this.  They normally either stop coming to church (which is the most typical thing that occurs), or even worse get excommunicated or ask for their names to be removed.  This is a very sad situation when it happens.

The second are remorseful.  They literally wish they had NEVER DONE THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE.  They regret that they fell into temptation.  If they could tell you one thing, it probably would be...DON'T DO IT.  Stop wondering about it while you are ahead.  No matter how fun it may appear, no matter how much you think you missed out...DON'T DO IT.  It is not worth it.  The painful road to recovery, the painful memories and how it has impacted their lives is something that they would well have wanted to do without.

If the entire world decided it was cool to point a gun to their head and pull the trigger...would you do it.  The result if it was loaded being that you would seriously be injured.  The rest of your life you would bear the scars, even if it didn't kill you.  The rest of the world says it's absolutely fun, the thrill is something you can never experience if you don't try it at least once.  You see how cool it is in TV, movies, and every other form of media.  90% of the rest of the world, and even 20% of Mormons have done this.  Would you therefore want to put a loaded gun to your head and pull the trigger?

Even if you survive, you still would have the scars for the rest of your life.  Something there would remind you of what you did in your past.  Now, the lord would restore all that was lost.  In the next life, it would be as if it never occurred, but in this life, there still will be reminders of what happened.

What you are proposing in some ways is to do that spiritually.  You have seen how fun it seems from TV and media and other sources to get that spiritual gun and point it at your head.  This is what peer pressure, or the temptation of the world can do to a person.

A normal LDS saint will say...What are you thinking!   Do you realize the harm you can do to yourself?  It seems crazy, and yet, that's the type of spiritual temptation which may lead to spiritual suicide is doing.

Instead of analyzing your life from the world's perspective, look at it from reality.  Hopefully you have a good marriage with children.  Take joy in the children and your family and realize...that's what is really important.  You got to experience something that others are actually envious of most likely.

I will share one story of two daughters.  There was the older one and the younger one.  The older daughter was VERY talented.  She had a great ability on the Violin, made straight A's in school, and got a full ride scholarship.  The Younger daughter was very jealous of the older daughter.  She thought the older daughter was blessed with everything.  That everyone loved the older daughter, and that the older daughter was so talented that she was able to do all these things that the younger daughter could never dream of.  The older sister had a ton of praise from the world.

However, the secret was that the older daughter was actually jealous of the younger daughter.

The Younger daughter got married very soon after graduating high school to her recently returned missionary sweetheart.  She could not understand her older sister's reaction in some ways.  The Older sister had felt isolated at times from friends and others.  All her friends were gathered from those who hung around with her younger sister.  Her younger sister was considered very beautiful and charismatic, and while the older sister was not married, the younger sister got married rather quickly.  She then had children.  The Older daughter knew the importance of family and children, and wished that she could have the blessings the younger sister had.  She didn't get married until she was near 25 (which is actually still young in today's standards), but was jealous of her sister's blessings.

It was irony that both were jealous of the other.  They both had blessings that they each could enjoy.  Rather than listen to their father that they were both loved tremendously and each were blessed of the Lord in their own way, they took to looking at the other one's life and feeling that they were lacking in something.   They should have realized the blessings they had in being righteous and following the Lord, and enjoy the things that he blessed them with, instead of looking at things that they didn't have and wanting that instead.

Today, (I hope at least) it appears they've made peace and realized that they both were very blessed in their lives.  It took a while though, and their jealousy was something that if they had shed it and learned to enjoy what the Lord had blessed them with, they could have avoided years of jealousy, pain, and at times, harsh treatment of each other.  All that envy and coveting is wasted time.  How much better to enjoy what you have now, and the great blessings you enjoy. 

It is a blessing to be pure, it is something that very few in this world can actually enjoy.  It is something much more special than all that alcohol, gambling, or any other detriments that may tempt you.  Remain clean, and learn to love the blessings that you have been given rather than fall to the temptations of the world that give the illusion of fun, but in reality will only attempt to destroy the blessings you have now.

Edited by JohnsonJones

31 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

That's really sad. I'm not sure I know of any LDS parents who won't let their kids play with non-LDS kids. I didn't think it was that kind of world anymore. 

You have to remember, West Texas is kind of a religious bizarro world.

In high school, we did not have school dances other than prom because certain Protestant denominations which shall remain nameless had an absolute fit about dancing years ago.

This religiousness didn't effect the bars, strip clubs, etc. in my hometown, which were apparently thriving... 

Edited by DoctorLemon

Guest MormonGator
5 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

You have to remember, West Texas is kind of a religious bizarro world.

In high school, we did not have school dances other than prom because certain Protestant denominations which shall remain nameless had an absolute fit about dancing years ago.

This religiousness didn't effect the bars, strip clubs, etc. in my hometown, which were apparently thriving... 

I love Texas and I love my time there, but it's a different world for sure. I understand the best I can, which I freely admit isn't worth much. 

2 hours ago, DoctorLemon said:

Your new Protestant fundamentalist neighbors (about 80% of the population) are going to be shocked!  "What do you mean, you don't believe in every point of the Nicene Creed?  Heathen!"   People will genuinely think you are genuinely edgy for practicing your own religion. 

This is almost enough to make me commission a Sheathen flag and move in.  Does Pecos count as West Texas?  It seems like it ought to.  My family own land near there, and I've been thinking maybe someone should plant a house on it to keep an eye on the weeds, or something.

4 hours ago, zil said:

This is almost enough to make me commission a Sheathen flag and move in.  Does Pecos count as West Texas?  It seems like it ought to.  My family own land near there, and I've been thinking maybe someone should plant a house on it to keep an eye on the weeds, or something.

It is all good fun... until you see an "expose on brainwashed Mormon cultists" on the local news for the hundredth time.  Then it starts to get old.

13 hours ago, Dillon said:

In my experience when a woman that married young and has only been with one man their entire life gets a little older and starts talking about wanting to be bad it many times involves the hottest guy at the bar and a cheap motel.

Hmmm...I'm not really sure what to say, other than...I've never been to a bar. And I love my husband!

12 hours ago, Bad Karma said:

Drink a monster, listen to 80s heavy metal, leave all the cupboard doors open, just because...  Go to a restaurant, order milk with your meal, ask for a straw, blow bubbles in your milk while humming, you'll drive everyone nuts. Draw smiley faces on every piece of paper you handle, this is going to make people confused yet too afraid to ask why.  As a matter of routine, start talking to yourself every time someone is looking at you.  There, now you've been rebellious, you didn't get yourself excommunicated, divorced, arrested, etc, but you will have managed to unbalance your own little corner of the world just enough to make life interesting.  Have fun...

Ha ha! Thanks for making me laugh! 

10 hours ago, DoctorLemon said:

Hey, I thought of another way one can be a total rebel and still a good Mormon!

It's simple: keep practicing Mormonism, but move to West Texas.  

Your new Protestant fundamentalist neighbors (about 80% of the population) are going to be shocked!  "What do you mean, you don't believe in every point of the Nicene Creed?  Heathen!"   People will genuinely think you are genuinely edgy for practicing your own religion. 

Growing up in West Texas, I was often seen as being edgier for simply being a Mormon than many of my Atheist friends were seen for being Atheists.  I knew people who would not let their children hang out with me as a child because I was Mormon and therefore I might be a "bad influence".

I wish I could say I was joking.

Unfortunately I'm not able to move to west Texas at the moment, but thanks for the idea anyways! ;-)

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, MollyMormon said:

Hmmm...I'm not really sure what to say, other than...I've never been to a bar. And I love my husband!

Ignore him. His view of women is incredibly disturbing and not worthy of your time or thoughts. 

Edited by MormonGator

9 hours ago, james12 said:

There is a quote from President Monson that has kind of become a Mormon platitude. It goes, "find joy in the journey". In general I like the quote but I have always been a little disappointed because it is missing an important word. He was talking about life and how we should live it. He says, "This is our one and only chance at mortal life—here and now. I plead with you not to let those most important things pass you by as you plan for that illusive and nonexistent future when you will have time to do all that you want to do. Instead, find joy in the journey—now" ("Finding Joy in the Journey", GC Oct 2008, italics added). Did you catch it? It's the word "now". Some time ago after reading this talk and others, the spirit whispered to me that religion is intended to bring us joy now, not simply tomorrow, not after we die, now! This started changing how I lived my life. I started asking myself questions like, "Am I miserable today? Why?" I started to realize that much of my religious posturing had not brought me closer to the joy I sought. My religion was not taking me where I needed to go and something was wrong. That may be what you are feeling and if it is I'm here to say that that feeling my indeed be very right.

Now, as others have done I must provide a word of caution. Because you have found that you need to change do not make the mistake of assuming that sin is what is missing. That path will lead to almost nothing but despair. But make no mistake, some of what we call "religion" is not the real thing and instead of providing joy can bring us down. Maybe I can provide an example from my own life. I once went on a date with a girl who would not watch any movie that had a swear word in it. As we were talking I asked her if she had seen The Truman Show. She asked, "does it have a swear word?" I was shocked. I didn't know if it had a swear word! How was I going to remember that? After all, that was totally beside the point. The movie was not about some swear word. It was about experiencing life! It revealed what made us human and our need to connect with real people. She had cut herself off from that because the movie might have a swear word.  Now that is just one example, but if your life is composed of these types of rules in all sorts of areas your false sense of "religion" will cut you off from living to the fullest.

Jesus him self once said, "I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly" (John 10:10). I urge you to go and find the abundant life. Use the spirit as your guide and let go of so many rules. After all, that was a large part of Jesus' message. The people were bound down by the Law of Moses. Over and over again Jesus broke the rules. Not God's laws but the false structures that men had built up. Let the spirit be your guide. Find the false structures you have built up that are causing you to not connect with people and situations that will allow you to live in joy today.  

Wow! Thank you for this! Definitely some good things I need to think about!

8 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

So, if I understand you right, you feel as if you missed out on things because you got married young and then had children at a young age as well, but never participated in what the world sometimes calls...fun.

It's been a while, and they do hit upon this in Young Single Adults which you missed, but it sounds almost like you are experiencing temptation from what we would call peer pressure.  It may not be the same peer pressure that you have from friends asking you to do things, but the type of peer pressure where you see things of the world and how they portray it as fun for young people...and you say...gosh...that looks fun.  I sure think I missed out by not doing that.

This is just another form of temptation.  I've been unfortunate (though some wouldn't see as such, it really is to me) to serve in leadership positions where I've had people confess things to me.  It is never fun.  It is never enjoyable.  As much as people say it, in this situation there really is basically two kinds of people.

The first have no regrets.  They have no desire to repent.  They tasted of the world and loved it.  They want to continue doing this.  They normally either stop coming to church (which is the most typical thing that occurs), or even worse get excommunicated or ask for their names to be removed.  This is a very sad situation when it happens.

The second are remorseful.  They literally wish they had NEVER DONE THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE.  They regret that they fell into temptation.  If they could tell you one thing, it probably would be...DON'T DO IT.  Stop wondering about it while you are ahead.  No matter how fun it may appear, no matter how much you think you missed out...DON'T DO IT.  It is not worth it.  The painful road to recovery, the painful memories and how it has impacted their lives is something that they would well have wanted to do without.

If the entire world decided it was cool to point a gun to their head and pull the trigger...would you do it.  The result if it was loaded being that you would seriously be injured.  The rest of your life you would bear the scars, even if it didn't kill you.  The rest of the world says it's absolutely fun, the thrill is something you can never experience if you don't try it at least once.  You see how cool it is in TV, movies, and every other form of media.  90% of the rest of the world, and even 20% of Mormons have done this.  Would you therefore want to put a loaded gun to your head and pull the trigger?

Even if you survive, you still would have the scars for the rest of your life.  Something there would remind you of what you did in your past.  Now, the lord would restore all that was lost.  In the next life, it would be as if it never occurred, but in this life, there still will be reminders of what happened.

What you are proposing in some ways is to do that spiritually.  You have seen how fun it seems from TV and media and other sources to get that spiritual gun and point it at your head.  This is what peer pressure, or the temptation of the world can do to a person.

A normal LDS saint will say...What are you thinking!   Do you realize the harm you can do to yourself?  It seems crazy, and yet, that's the type of spiritual temptation which may lead to spiritual suicide is doing.

Instead of analyzing your life from the world's perspective, look at it from reality.  Hopefully you have a good marriage with children.  Take joy in the children and your family and realize...that's what is really important.  You got to experience something that others are actually envious of most likely.

I will share one story of two daughters.  There was the older one and the younger one.  The older daughter was VERY talented.  She had a great ability on the Violin, made straight A's in school, and got a full ride scholarship.  The Younger daughter was very jealous of the older daughter.  She thought the older daughter was blessed with everything.  That everyone loved the older daughter, and that the older daughter was so talented that she was able to do all these things that the younger daughter could never dream of.  The older sister had a ton of praise from the world.

However, the secret was that the older daughter was actually jealous of the younger daughter.

The Younger daughter got married very soon after graduating high school to her recently returned missionary sweetheart.  She could not understand her older sister's reaction in some ways.  The Older sister had felt isolated at times from friends and others.  All her friends were gathered from those who hung around with her younger sister.  Her younger sister was considered very beautiful and charismatic, and while the older sister was not married, the younger sister got married rather quickly.  She then had children.  The Older daughter knew the importance of family and children, and wished that she could have the blessings the younger sister had.  She didn't get married until she was near 25 (which is actually still young in today's standards), but was jealous of her sister's blessings.

It was irony that both were jealous of the other.  They both had blessings that they each could enjoy.  Rather than listen to their father that they were both loved tremendously and each were blessed of the Lord in their own way, they took to looking at the other one's life and feeling that they were lacking in something.   They should have realized the blessings they had in being righteous and following the Lord, and enjoy the things that he blessed them with, instead of looking at things that they didn't have and wanting that instead.

Today, (I hope at least) it appears they've made peace and realized that they both were very blessed in their lives.  It took a while though, and their jealousy was something that if they had shed it and learned to enjoy what the Lord had blessed them with, they could have avoided years of jealousy, pain, and at times, harsh treatment of each other.  All that envy and coveting is wasted time.  How much better to enjoy what you have now, and the great blessings you enjoy. 

It is a blessing to be pure, it is something that very few in this world can actually enjoy.  It is something much more special than all that alcohol, gambling, or any other detriments that may tempt you.  Remain clean, and learn to love the blessings that you have been given rather than fall to the temptations of the world that give the illusion of fun, but in reality will only attempt to destroy the blessings you have now.

Thank you so much for your perspective! It really means a lot to me! I love everything you said!

On 10/13/2017 at 2:54 PM, MollyMormon said:

Right...I in no way want anyone to think I'm saying I'm perfect, as that is far from the truth! It's just that I've always taken the rule follower route to the extreme. I guess I just don't know how to let my hair down without sinning because I've kept myself in a bubble my whole life and obeyed above and beyond what I think is normal. I feel like I "missed out" on spreading my wings and experimenting a little. It sounds dumb, I know.

Sounds a little bit like you might be going through a bit of a mid-life crisis (it can come at earlier ages for women).

Individuals experiencing a mid-life crisis may feel:[12]

• a deep sense of remorse for goals not accomplished
  • a fear of humiliation among more successful colleagues
  • longing to achieve a feeling of youthfulness
  • need to spend more time alone or with certain peers
  • a heightened sense of their sexuality or lack thereof
  • ennui, confusion, resentment or anger due to their discontent with their marital, work, health, economic, or social status
  • ambitious to right the missteps they feel they have taken early in life[13

There are plenty of things you can do that still allow you to explore, grow and achieve without doing something sinful. Consider yourself extremely blessed that you have committed no major sins in your life. Sinning only leads to a path that you will wish you hadn't taken. I never went through a wild phase in my early years.

But what I do find interesting as I get older is that just about everyone who did go through a wild phase, pretty much stops if they want to have any semblance of a decent life.  Generally those who don't stop are using it to cover up facing up to their real problems and overcoming them.

You can absolutely live an enjoyable fun, filled life without sinning yet at the same time without acting like you are in church 24/7.  Life is meant to be enjoyed, so enjoy it.  A quick example, my only real "wild" side was that as a teenager every now and then I would go to rock concerts-U2, 3rd Eye Blind . .. etc. (they could be a little raunchy with some drugs)  I went on my mission and when I came back none of those things really appealed to me. 

Now that I'm a little older, I actually like going to rock concerts . . . but I'm very selective about where I go and what I do.  The bands I see don't have any swearing in their lyrics, they don't talk about sex,drugs, rock&roll. They might swear a bit on stage, generally not too much (thankfully). Generally speaking it's just some good heavy metal with some very talented musicians, that can really rock out, they sell alcohol (but I don't drink and I've never seem someone totally hammered at these things); people smoke outside (I've never smelled marijuana at these places).  Generally speaking, I could take my kids and I wouldn't feel bad (it would be too late for them).

So maybe you just need a change of pace.  For a flavor, think .. . ah love it:

7 minutes ago, JoCa said:

Sounds a little bit like you might be going through a bit of a mid-life crisis (it can come at earlier ages for women).

Individuals experiencing a mid-life crisis may feel:[12]

• a deep sense of remorse for goals not accomplished
  • a fear of humiliation among more successful colleagues
  • longing to achieve a feeling of youthfulness
  • need to spend more time alone or with certain peers
  • a heightened sense of their sexuality or lack thereof
  • ennui, confusion, resentment or anger due to their discontent with their marital, work, health, economic, or social status
  • ambitious to right the missteps they feel they have taken early in life[13

There are plenty of things you can do that still allow you to explore, grow and achieve without doing something sinful. Consider yourself extremely blessed that you have committed no major sins in your life. Sinning only leads to a path that you will wish you hadn't taken. I never went through a wild phase in my early years.

But what I do find interesting as I get older is that just about everyone who did go through a wild phase, pretty much stops if they want to have any semblance of a decent life.  Generally those who don't stop are using it to cover up facing up to their real problems and overcoming them.

You can absolutely live an enjoyable fun, filled life without sinning yet at the same time without acting like you are in church 24/7.  Life is meant to be enjoyed, so enjoy it.  A quick example, my only real "wild" side was that as a teenager every now and then I would go to rock concerts-U2, 3rd Eye Blind . .. etc. (they could be a little raunchy with some drugs)  I went on my mission and when I came back none of those things really appealed to me. 

Now that I'm a little older, I actually like going to rock concerts . . . but I'm very selective about where I go and what I do.  The bands I see don't have any swearing in their lyrics, they don't talk about sex,drugs, rock&roll. They might swear a bit on stage, generally not too much (thankfully). Generally speaking it's just some good heavy metal with some very talented musicians, that can really rock out, they sell alcohol (but I don't drink and I've never seem someone totally hammered at these things); people smoke outside (I've never smelled marijuana at these places).  Generally speaking, I could take my kids and I wouldn't feel bad (it would be too late for them).

So maybe you just need a change of pace.  For a flavor, think .. . ah love it:

Yes, I think a midlife crisis sounds about right, even though I'm so young...ha ha! Thank you for your thoughts and ideas!

Here is something to experience in Las Vegas.  Driving 150 miles per hour on a race track.  I want to do ten laps with this eventually:

http://www.dreamracing.com/the-experiences-mobile-new/

There is also zip lining in Las Vegas high up in the air from one building to another. 

Edit:  Leave the drinking, gambling and prostitution of Las Vegas to others while you get to experience the great stuff it has to offer.  There are also amusement park rides on top of a very high up building.  I do not know if I could handle that.  It would be terrifying I think.

The zip line is about 490 feet up in the air and costs about $30 for one trip.  Take a look at this here:

https://www.lasvegaspass.com/las-vegas-attractions/VooDoo-Zip-Line.html?aid=169&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Non-Brand|Search|USA-MST&utm_term=zipline las vegas&utm_content=Rio Zip Line - E

Edited by Still_Small_Voice

1 hour ago, Still_Small_Voice said:

Here is something to experience in Las Vegas.  Driving 150 miles per hour on a race track.  I want to do ten laps with this eventually:

There is also zip lining in Las Vegas high up in the air from one building to another. 

Edit:  Leave the drinking, gambling and prostitution of Las Vegas to others while you get to experience the great stuff it has to offer.  There are also amusement park rides on top of a very high up building.  I do not know if I could handle that.  It would be terrifying I think.

The zip line is about 490 feet up in the air and costs about $30 for one trip.  Take a look at this here:

https://www.lasvegaspass.com/las-vegas-attractions/VooDoo-Zip-Line.html?aid=169&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Non-Brand|Search|USA-MST&utm_term=zipline las vegas&utm_content=Rio Zip Line - E

Thank you for the fun ideas! I would definitely have to overcome a lot of fear in order to do any of those, but that's probably just what I need!

You know I can relate as well. It was just a few weeks ago I told my wife I have a small nagging desire to try alcohol. I wont of course but the desire to try it is there. I was a rebel up until the age of 10. Smoked when I was 8 and 9, burned stuff up, went to jail at age 10 and that is when I swore I would never do anything bad again for the rest of my life. And I didn't for the most part. I never said cuss words, never drank, etc. My grandpa and I were very close and team roped a lot together and he was always trying to get me to drink but I didn't. We would go to a rodeo together and I was always the designated driver. He would try to get me to drink but of course I wouldn't so he would get drunk and Id drive us and the horses home. I went to Ricks College with my parents to drop my older brother off there and thought that place looked like the awesomest place on earth and swore I would go there after my mission. And that was the plan but after I got home from my mission I happened to meet the perfect girl and we went to Ricks College/BYU-I together as a married couple. It was great but my original ideas for wanting to go there so badly was because of all the beautiful ladies I saw prior to going on my mission. LOL. My wife is georgeous (spelling?) and I am very thankful for her. Been married 18 years now. But I to have had the desires to try some things Ive not tried before. Drink some fine wine, smoke a cigar, sounds fun even thinking about it  now, but no way in heck would I give up what I have to chase something stupid like that. I don't know why I have any desire at all to try those things but I wont because I know it definitely isn't worth it. Well good luck Molly Mormon. I wont be giving in and hope you don't either ;)

9 hours ago, bigcreek said:

You know I can relate as well. It was just a few weeks ago I told my wife I have a small nagging desire to try alcohol. I wont of course but the desire to try it is there. I was a rebel up until the age of 10. Smoked when I was 8 and 9, burned stuff up, went to jail at age 10 and that is when I swore I would never do anything bad again for the rest of my life. And I didn't for the most part. I never said cuss words, never drank, etc. My grandpa and I were very close and team roped a lot together and he was always trying to get me to drink but I didn't. We would go to a rodeo together and I was always the designated driver. He would try to get me to drink but of course I wouldn't so he would get drunk and Id drive us and the horses home. I went to Ricks College with my parents to drop my older brother off there and thought that place looked like the awesomest place on earth and swore I would go there after my mission. And that was the plan but after I got home from my mission I happened to meet the perfect girl and we went to Ricks College/BYU-I together as a married couple. It was great but my original ideas for wanting to go there so badly was because of all the beautiful ladies I saw prior to going on my mission. LOL. My wife is georgeous (spelling?) and I am very thankful for her. Been married 18 years now. But I to have had the desires to try some things Ive not tried before. Drink some fine wine, smoke a cigar, sounds fun even thinking about it  now, but no way in heck would I give up what I have to chase something stupid like that. I don't know why I have any desire at all to try those things but I wont because I know it definitely isn't worth it. Well good luck Molly Mormon. I wont be giving in and hope you don't either ;)

Thank you for sharing your experience! It's comforting to know I'm not the only one struggling. I'm not going to give in, either. Thanks!

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 12:37 PM, MollyMormon said:

I was born of goodly parents – a very respected family of wealth and means (thought as a youth I did not know we were wealthy).   Somethings I have discovered:

1. Wickedness never was happiness but it was sure fun while it lasted.

2. Sin would not be so bad if it was not such a hassle to repent (apologize, set aright, change behaviors and explain to G-d why the right thing was not done – so a favor could be asked).

3. Most sins are relative (many believe sinning is absolute- I was a problem child for my parents who were not shy at all in informing everybody that I was their most difficult child).  In my home, I was wild and out of control – anywhere else in the world I was a model citizen.   For example – three times the FBI came to my home because I had blown something up trying to invent something (the explosion was not on purpose) but when I joined the army and my FBI records reviewed – I was given the opportunity to attend West Point (among other things).

4. I have also discovered many have very different ideas what is a sin and what is not.

5. There is no sin where there is no binding law and there is no binding law without a covenant – and without covenant we cannot be exalted.  We will abide that glory (exaltation) according to the law (covenant) to which we abide and are loyal.

6. Being disciplined is the secret of happiness and the lack of discipline is the scriptural definition of misery.  Never-the-less the natural man feigns discipline and prefers misery and thus is never really happy and always in want or in other words miserable.

7. We discipline ourselves according to the law to which we love and are willing to abide.

8. All blessings come from discipline (obedience) according to covenant we are given.  There are no blessings that come from abiding a covenant we do not have.  For example, without a covenant of eternal marriage – it does not matter if we are Celestially disciplined or not – the blessing of a Celestial marriage cannot be given.

9. Regardless of what others think is a sin and not a sin – if something is good and we turn away from it or do not accept it – it is a sin – the word “something” for sure refers to our personal covenants with G-d.  For example, we cannot keep the Sabbath holy without personal covenants with G-d.  Personal covenants are not defined by our bishop or minister but come only by our personal relationship with G-d.

10. There are now a lot of items in this list – before I tick someone off for saying more that they do not like – this is the end of my comments.

The Traveler

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 8:50 AM, Still_Small_Voice said:

Just a little note - I have no bucket list because I have done and accomplished everything in this life that I desire to do - except endure to the end - which I am sure includes skiing or cycling and reading the scriptures every day except for skiing and cycling on Sunday (unless I can somehow figure out how to get an ox stuck and the only way out is by skiing or cycling.  But then my wife still wants to travel so there are many days I miss skiing or cycling.  Yah, I even done the zip line thing but through a rain forest (jungle) full of monkeys

What I have learned – most things (except skiing, cycling and scripture study) require someone to do it with or there is not much reason to do it.

The Traveler

21 hours ago, Traveler said:

I was born of goodly parents – a very respected family of wealth and means (thought as a youth I did not know we were wealthy).   Somethings I have discovered:

1. Wickedness never was happiness but it was sure fun while it lasted.

2. Sin would not be so bad if it was not such a hassle to repent (apologize, set aright, change behaviors and explain to G-d why the right thing was not done – so a favor could be asked).

3. Most sins are relative (many believe sinning is absolute- I was a problem child for my parents who were not shy at all in informing everybody that I was their most difficult child).  In my home, I was wild and out of control – anywhere else in the world I was a model citizen.   For example – three times the FBI came to my home because I had blown something up trying to invent something (the explosion was not on purpose) but when I joined the army and my FBI records reviewed – I was given the opportunity to attend West Point (among other things).

4. I have also discovered many have very different ideas what is a sin and what is not.

5. There is no sin where there is no binding law and there is no binding law without a covenant – and without covenant we cannot be exalted.  We will abide that glory (exaltation) according to the law (covenant) to which we abide and are loyal.

6. Being disciplined is the secret of happiness and the lack of discipline is the scriptural definition of misery.  Never-the-less the natural man feigns discipline and prefers misery and thus is never really happy and always in want or in other words miserable.

7. We discipline ourselves according to the law to which we love and are willing to abide.

8. All blessings come from discipline (obedience) according to covenant we are given.  There are no blessings that come from abiding a covenant we do not have.  For example, without a covenant of eternal marriage – it does not matter if we are Celestially disciplined or not – the blessing of a Celestial marriage cannot be given.

9. Regardless of what others think is a sin and not a sin – if something is good and we turn away from it or do not accept it – it is a sin – the word “something” for sure refers to our personal covenants with G-d.  For example, we cannot keep the Sabbath holy without personal covenants with G-d.  Personal covenants are not defined by our bishop or minister but come only by our personal relationship with G-d.

10. There are now a lot of items in this list – before I tick someone off for saying more that they do not like – this is the end of my comments.

The Traveler

Interesting points. Thanks.