LDS Trivia and Puzzles

Jeremy A

A game of LDS Trivia and Puzzles will start at 5:30 PM Pacific if two or more people show up. The game takes place over DALnet in channel #lds_trivia. Any questions with how to get to the game, please ask here.

Last week, someone entered the channel to play. The person was about an hour or two late, but one showed up. That's a start. Even though it was only one person, I just did other things and didn't notice the player coming in, so I didn't say anything. Well, the player found the right place. I hope more than two will show this time.

This time, I'll talk about the hangman-style puzzles. Each round consists of a puzzle to be solved. The category is shown only once at first reveal, BUT it can be requested by typing !cat in the channel. The first player to post the required number of correct answers to a question in the first part will get an opportunity to guess a letter in the puzzle. If the puzzle has the letter, it's revealed in the puzzle, and then that player will pick the category and level for the next question. I must caution that vowels guessed will cost the player 250 points AND deduct 500 more from the puzzle's point value. Players can then submit guesses to the puzzle until the next question is asked. Whoever gets the puzzle right will get points. Bonus points are awarded if the puzzle is spelled correctly or matches exactly, including any punctuation marks. The next round will begin with the selection of a new puzzle. If the puzzle takes too long to solve, a speed round will occur to solve the puzzle quickly.

Finally, here's a sample question, picked completely at random:

New Testament: Which of the four gospels has the story of John the Baptist's announcement and birth?

(FYI: This is a level three question, which is implied multiple choice but not given.)

The answer will be given at the beginning of the game, and players that arrive when the game starts will get an opportunity to answer and get points if correct. This is in addition to the on-time bonus of 1,000 points.