It begins...

NeuroTypical

I only know how to cook one thing.  I only cook it once a year.  Most of it goes to potlucks and devoted friends.  The recipe (including the secret ingredient) has been handed down for generations, through the male line.   I am the last male of my line - we all had daughters or no children - so this thing may die with me.

Any guesses as to the finished product?  Here's how it starts:

Image may contain: food

Phase I almost complete - just need to mix this all together.  

Image may contain: food

This phase will now spend the day maturing, while the cook traditionally spends the day in noble pursuits such as bursting out in song, and holding monologues with the Lord.  

(While I did not learn the secret ingredient until I turned 18, I was taught these specific noble pursuits years before in the late '70's.  I miss my dad, and honor him by keeping this tradition alive.)

56 minutes ago, zil said:

Huh.  Just yesterday I did my annual "cook a package of bacon" thing.  While eating bacon, I always think I should cook it more often, but once it's gone, my imagination says it's not worth the effort, and it takes quite a while before my desire for bacon overcomes my laziness...

If I did not exercise my iron will, I would be cooking up a pound of bacon twice a day. Though "cooking" might be an overstatement, since I prefer my bacon, let's just say, limpy.

Edited by Vort

So, this is chili with bacon instead of beef and cheese instead of beans.

Onions
Garlic
Chili Powder
Rotel salsa
Salt & Pepper
Cumin

And... I can't figure out the last ingredient.

I didn't know chili con queso had all this stuff in it.  I just can't stand Velveeta.

So, @NeuroTypical.  What is the last ingredient?  That dark stuff.

Edited by Guest

Hey hey hey.  We also have a Chili Cook-off tonight at the ward trunk or treat.  My contribution is a cornhole game using 3 large carved pumpkins acting as the hole.  So, I didn't try my hand on Chili.

So, it will be a shame to lose such a recipe to the end-of-the-male-line dilemma.  I got a husband and 2 sons that would gladly take on the recipe and guard the tradition, at least for today!  So, what do you say?  Recipe swap?  I can give you my husband's secret Bourbon Chicken without the Bourbon recipe.

1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

I made enough for the Ward Trunk-or-treat Chili Cookoff, the work Christmas potluck, two gifts for folks, and some for my daughters. 

So your ward combines the Trunk-or-Treat and the Chili Cookoff, huh? Not a bad idea. Our ward does a "Chili/Chilly" involving chili and ice cream (and, yes, named by Yours Truly). But it looks like we're dropping the ice cream part next year, at least as a competitive element.

5 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Hey hey hey.  We also have a Chili Cook-off tonight at the ward trunk or treat.  My contribution is a cornhole game using 3 large carved pumpkins acting as the hole.  So, I didn't try my hand on Chili.

So, it will be a shame to lose such a recipe to the end-of-the-male-line dilemma.  I got a husband and 2 sons that would gladly take on the recipe and guard the tradition, at least for today!  So, what do you say?  Recipe swap?  I can give you my husband's secret Bourbon Chicken without the Bourbon recipe.

We had a Chili cook-off last year (I won).  I was wondering if they were going to do it again this year and no one even remembered having it last year.

I call my chili: 5-4-3-2-1 chili.

5 Different Herbs
4 Types of beans
3 Types of meat
2 Types of chili
1 Secret ingredient

1 minute ago, Vort said:

So your ward combines the Trunk-or-Treat and the Chili Cookoff, huh? Not a bad idea. Our ward does a "Chili/Chilly" involving chili and ice cream (and, yes, named by Yours Truly). But it looks like we're dropping the ice cream part next year, at least as a competitive element.

Interesting.  Our ward forgot the chili and decided to do an ice cream competition this year.

Edited by Guest

24 minutes ago, Vort said:

Our ward does a Costume Parade. Carnival, Trunk-or-Treat, and a Chili Cook-off all at the same time every year.  One year, we held it at some guy's farm and we added hay rides in the guy's tractor.

Only Vort could come up with Chili/Chilly.  I'm gonna steal that and give it to the RS Presidency who is in charge of the Chili Cook-off every year.  Maybe we can do that next year.  We're in Florida after all.  Where Halloween is celebrated in flip-flops weather.

5 hours ago, Carborendum said:

So, @NeuroTypical.  What is the last ingredient?  That dark stuff.

Onions - check
Garlic - check
Chili Powder - check
Rotel salsa - nope.
Salt & Pepper - check
Cumin - check

The dark stuff is another kind of chili powder (or ground dried chilis).  I cater to my audience, sometimes they want more kick, sometimes less.

But none of the above is the secret ingredient.  

So, it will be a shame to lose such a recipe to the end-of-the-male-line dilemma.  I got a husband and 2 sons that would gladly take on the recipe and guard the tradition, at least for today!  So, what do you say?  Recipe swap?

I've told my daughters it may be possible to bend the rules, and teach their husbands, if they choose wisely enough.  But I absolutely cannot swap/trade/sell the secret ingredient.  I'd be laughing in the faces of the male [Typicals] who came before me! 

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 11:01 AM, zil said:

Huh.  Just yesterday I did my annual "cook a package of bacon" thing.  While eating bacon, I always think I should cook it more often, but once it's gone, my imagination says it's not worth the effort, and it takes quite a while before my desire for bacon overcomes my laziness...

If you only eat bacon once a year there is something seriously wrong with you.

On 10/26/2017 at 12:01 PM, zil said:

I can't even imagine... LOL.

We have a small George Foreman grill that lives on our counter solely to make bacon.  :)

On 27/10/2017 at 4:01 AM, zil said:

2 hours ago, mirkwood said:

If you only eat bacon once a year there is something seriously wrong with you.

I think the lack of bacon is only one of many, many reasons........