Would you let your child marry one?

prisonchaplain

On 11/2/2017 at 4:59 PM, prisonchaplain said:

Now, in my 50s, I see that attraction and 'love' complicate things. Sometimes the sense of love and communion of spirits between a boy and girl is so strong that they feel they can overcome their differences. In such cases I would simply urge that the discussions take place before the marriage. How will we handle religion? How will the children be raised?  "We'll figure it out," is negligence.

Time to bring back my signature.

Edited by mordorbund
This is why we need arranged marriages.

I haven't read the responses, just the OP.  @prisonchaplain, it may sound hypocritical but I would strongly discourage my children to marry outside the faith.  My sons understand this but probably not in the same manner than most LDS would.  They take my discouragement not as a "don't marry a non-LDS person" but rather to be the greatest missionary on the planet so that whoever they decide to marry will be a truth-seeker.  Because, hey, if one has a strong testimony of the truth of the restored gospel, then a truth-seeker will find it!

My 16-year-old has a girlfriend.  Devout Catholic when they met (she's actually my brother's wife's niece).  She's getting baptized by my son in December with her siblings.  Yes, it's causing another family upheaval.  Round 2 of what I went through when I married a non-Catholic... my son knows my history and he is dealing with it the exact same way I dealt with it then (probably because I've taught it to him)... with a whole lot of love for the people who only want him and his girlfriend to be in heaven.  His girlfriend is standing strong as well, seeing it from the same perspective as I did back then.  But she's a teen-ager so she does what most teen-agers do... wailing "parents (in this case aunts and uncles) just don't understand".  But if she would have showed no interest in learning about the LDS faith, I would be talking to my son about it.

My other son shows zero interest in girls.  He thinks they're the bane of his existence.  Hah hah.  He says he will marry the girl his dad picks for him.  Hah hah.  Let's see how long that lasts...

Edited by anatess2

• pam unfeatured this topic