Mass violence & gun control

Traveler

I have always believed that the right to self-preservation is important but in light of the latest mass shootings, I can sympathize with anti-gun point of view.  I really believe that many on the anti-gun crowd are genuine and want to stop mass killings. I appreciate the honesty of those who want to straight-up repeal the 2nd amendment.  It's natural, after tragedies, be very emotional and want to do something about it.

Edited by Phineas

6 hours ago, Phineas said:

I have always believed that the right to self-preservation is important but in light of the latest mass shootings, I can sympathize with anti-gun point of view.  I really believe that many on the anti-gun crowd are genuine and want to stop mass killings. I appreciate the honesty of those who want to straight-up repeal the 2nd amendment.  It's natural, after tragedies, be very emotional and want to do something about it.

Of course.  And that's the problem with leftist thinking.  They are victims of weaponized compassion.  Their propensity to be empathetic is easily manipulated by people like Anakin Skywalker who thinks people are too dumb to be entrusted with freedom.  Unfortunately, the people for limited government gets accused of zero-compassion if they don't agree with getting groped on their privates on the way to the airplane because... for some reason, Americans got convinced that losing your dignity is worth eliminating the 1% chance that somebody might blow up the airplane.

Can you imagine?  Americans are OK with being groped in their privates just to eliminate the 1% chance of getting blown up by a terrorist on an airplane.  How much more for some simple pleasurable thing like the fun of shooting stuff with your modified AR15...

Edited by anatess2

2 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Can you imagine?  Americans are OK with being groped in their privates just to eliminate the 1% chance of getting blown up by a terrorist on an airplane.

Far less than 1%.  Likely closer to the odds of being dealt a royal flush the very first time you play poker.

On 11/9/2017 at 9:32 AM, NightSG said:

Breaking into my occupied home is already a pretty definite action.  Nobody does that just to bring me a sandwich.

On 11/9/2017 at 10:30 AM, The Folk Prophet said:

Santa?

Santa has never brought me a sandwich. Oranges, candy, granola bars, Nutri-Grain bars, and tiny boxes of cereal, yes. Sandwiches, no.

17 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

If I was the dealer and shuffled the deck just so (though some if they knew what I was doing would call it cheating) I could make those odds 100% for the new player...

Uh, we'd all call that cheating.

And no, I already asked the bishop; apparently it's gambling if I can lose and stealing if I can't.  Maybe if I only sort of control a few cards...

2 hours ago, NightSG said:

Uh, we'd all call that cheating.

And no, I already asked the bishop; apparently it's gambling if I can lose and stealing if I can't.  Maybe if I only sort of control a few cards...

That's why we do it all sneaky like...so....

Of course, normally you'd want to be the one dealing your self the Royal flush, and the other guy gets the Straight Flush so they think they've won...and the bidding can go sky high.

A skilled shuffler can do it easily, but anyone who's played awhile will recognize the trick when the cards are revealed...as it's a pretty old cheat/trick so when the cards turn up like that, it's almost an automatic realization that the dealer cheated.

As Mormons though, we probably shouldn't even be in those situations per se....

Because as you said, if you are the one dealing in that, you are basically trying to steal, and the one who is ignorant is basically wasting their time and efforts as they try to gamble (which isn't really a beneficial thing to do...in my view).

Edited by JohnsonJones

2 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

A skilled shuffler can do it easily, but anyone who's played awhile will recognize the trick when the cards are revealed...as it's a pretty old cheat/trick so when the cards turn up like that, it's almost an automatic realization that the dealer cheated.

I sometimes wonder if that's the real reason Richard Turner is a black belt.

7 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

If Americans weren’t OK with groping, they wouldn’t have elected three of our last five presidents. ;)

Or 4 of the last 6 Presidents.  Although Obama's video displaying his junk on that airplane would count if he wasn't Obama.  So you could be 5 for 6.

@NightSG That Guy is absolutely amazing.  He can do more with cards without seeing than I can do looking at what I'm doing!!!

I can't even figure out some of what he did watching it, much less thinking about doing it without being able to see it.

PS: I'm convinced he has to have some way to feel them or tell them apart...even if others don't...that would answer one or two things I simply cannot figure out how he did.  I know the entire ones where you deal around what you want, several of his tricks only reveal what he wants rather than everything, I've done that, and some of the other tricks I've done or know the secrets to (there are many others he does that I do not though).  It's amazing the sensation he has with his hands, he appears to be able to count the cards by touch (as he could tell instantly if he was given more or less cards than another hand...which is amazing!!!) but there are some things he does which I have no idea how he did it, much less did it blind.  I'm absolutely floored by the guy...crazy amazing stuff there with cards.

Great inspirational talk he gives on the video also by the way.  Thanks for posting it.

Edited by JohnsonJones

On 11/10/2017 at 10:58 AM, Traveler said:

Perhaps the greatest myths about military service are concluded by those that are void of military experience.

I don't appreciate the assumption / implication.  FYI, I did serve in the military.

As for the rest of what you said, those are fine theories. But your entire post is completely lacking any statistics to see just how widespread it is.  Without that you can't justify a statement like "throughout history most deaths in war come from friendly fire."  Where are your numbers? 

You're a man of science.  You understand the giant leap from the theoretical to the practical.  Where is the empirical data to see just how justified your belief is?  I've shown you empirical data that says your theories are only a small portion of the story.  And therefore your conclusion/thesis is incorrect.  But you can go on continuing to believe the theory without any data to support it.

Guest Godless
3 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Not familiar with that one ...

I had to look it up. Apparently during the 2008 campaign, Obama was filmed on an airplane standing and talking on a cell phone while *possibly* flaunting an erection in front of some female passengers. The video is very poor quality, Obama's intentions are obviously unknown, and anyone who share's Obama's gender knows how awkward a situation like that can be. Definitely no groping though. If anything, it was the male equivalent of a woman in an immodest shirt deliberately leaning forward or bending over in the presence of a man. Inappropriate, sure, but not nearly on the same level as groping, which is sexual assault.   

2 minutes ago, Godless said:

I had to look it up. Apparently during the 2008 campaign, Obama was filmed on an airplane standing and talking on a cell phone while *possibly* flaunting an erection in front of some female passengers. The video is very poor quality, Obama's intentions are obviously unknown, and anyone who share's Obama's gender knows how awkward a situation like that can be. Definitely no groping though. If anything, it was the male equivalent of a woman in an immodest shirt deliberately leaning forward or bending over in the presence of a man. Inappropriate, sure, but not nearly on the same level as groping, which is sexual assault.   

If it was anybody else but Obama... okay, correction, if it was anybody on the right, that would have been proof of sexual assault and at least one of those women would have already come out as a victim on CNN relaying how horrified she was.

Guest Godless
8 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

If it was anybody else but Obama... okay, correction, if it was anybody on the right, that would have been proof of sexual assault and at least one of those women would have already come out as a victim on CNN relaying how horrified she was.

Sexual harassment perhaps, not assault. Assault implies physical contact or attempted physical contact. Not that sexual harassment is okay, it definitely isn't, but sexual assault is far more serious. 

And I'll go on record and say that if any of the women on that flight were to come forward and say that they were uncomfortable with Obama's actions, I would 100% have their back. If Obama's actions were deliberate, then it was very inappropriate. And if they weren't deliberate, then he should have been more careful in that situation (which, for men, can be very uncomfortable and awkward). 

2 minutes ago, Godless said:

Sexual harassment perhaps, not assault. Assault implies physical contact or attempted physical contact. Not that sexual harassment is okay, it definitely isn't, but sexual assault is far more serious. 

And I'll go on record and say that if any of the women on that flight were to come forward and say that they were uncomfortable with Obama's actions, I would 100% have their back. If Obama's actions were deliberate, then it was very inappropriate. And if they weren't deliberate, then he should have been more careful in that situation (which, for men, can be very uncomfortable and awkward). 

For the record, if any of the women on that flight were to come forward and say that they were uncomfortable with Obama's actions, I would tell them to grow up.

But then I don't consider the Billy Bush tape harassment either.

Edited by anatess2

12 hours ago, Godless said:

I had to look it up. Apparently during the 2008 campaign, Obama was filmed on an airplane standing and talking on a cell phone while *possibly* flaunting an erection in front of some female passengers. The video is very poor quality, Obama's intentions are obviously unknown, and anyone who share's Obama's gender knows how awkward a situation like that can be.

Not that hard to deal with, though; either sit down or casually hold a jacket, book, whatever.

On 11/14/2017 at 1:14 AM, NightSG said:

Not that hard to deal with, though; either sit down or casually hold a jacket, book, whatever.

That's the point of the video.  He raised his leg making it more obvious instead of trying to make it less obvious.

But, he was on the phone so may not realize what he did.  But you know... if that was Trump... 

• pam unfeatured this topic