Old former missionary still searching - I think

Stevelk

I'm 59, went on a mission in '84.  Was no longer attending church by '88. Became increasingly anti-religion for the next 25 years, until I found this crazy, wonderful book called A Course In Miracles (ACIM).

Yikes, I'm at it again.

This acim thingy may be it,  brothers and sisters.

Anyone wanna chat about it? Open to any kind of discussion, as long as it is respectful :-) 

Steve 

14 hours ago, zil said:

Welcome, @Stevelk!  Glad you are finding faith again.

I know nothing of the book, and for the benefit of future readers, it doesn't look to be related to the Church in any way, but can be found on Amazon if you want to look it up.

Thanks. Acim can be found online for free if one is able to search for it.

I have read parts of ACIM and skimmed the rest. I believe it contains some profound truths while other parts are confused ramblings. Helen Schucman who I believe was a psychology professor says she heard an inner voice from Jesus who gave her the words. Here are a few quotes I like: 

"Father forgive them for they know not what they do" in no way evaluates what the do. It is an appeal to God to heal their minds. There is no reference to the outcome of the error . That does not matter (ACIM 2:16)

Wherever there is fear, it is because you have not made up your mind... Only your mind can produce fear. It does so whenver it is conflicted in what it wants, producing inevitable strain because wanting and doing are discordant. This can be corrected only by accepting a unified goal. (ACIM 2 VI 5-6)

[Perceive the body as a temple]. The next step, however, is to realize that a temple is not a structure at all. Its true holiness lies at the inner alter around which the structure is built. (ACIM 2 III 1)

There are also some concepts that I have considered based on what I have read. These are not exact quotes, just combinations of thoughts I have had based on the book.

Sin - A mistaken idea not in accordance with the law of cause and effect. Sin allows illusion to take the place of truth.

Repentance - Turning from error in thought and action to correct thinking. Or in other words from sin to God.

Forgiveness - A healing of the mind, made possible through the oneness of the spirit, wherein Christ is the mediator between us and God.

Faith - Confidence that one is doing the will of God.

Edited by james12