Having money on hand for emergency preparation

Still_Small_Voice

One thing people seem to forget in emergency preparation is having cash for possible purchases.  If the power goes out for a while you will not be able to buy anything.  I am of the opinion people should keep the following in their homes in addition to their other emergency preparations:

15 - $1s

5 - $5s

5 - $10s

20 - $20s

4 - $50s

Any thoughts on this?

Having liquid cash around is not a bad idea. We keep some on hand just in case. It isn't just all the scenarios you can think of necessarily, it is also for the issues you didn't know existed.

Edited by NeedleinA

45 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

folks went cash only

This is my reasoning as well. When the power actually did go out here (tornado), several stores where open: chainsaws, generators, gas, etc. but they would not/couldn't take credit card for a couple of days.

16 hours ago, Still_Small_Voice said:

How much cash do you think  people should consider having in their homes Needle?

We (family of 6) keep a about 2k. If we needed to leave quick, this could keep us alive for a couple weeks without a credit card. I found the best hiding place in my home for it is in the...

49 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

Depends on how firm you like your mattress ;)

Or hide it in your Book of Mormon, the Isaiah chapters, no one ever looks there.

5a0f276ff1168_Untitled-3copy.jpg.95df71afaaa46ed537391a0fbaef3903.jpg

Edited by NeedleinA