Poland: No shopping on Sundays

Fether

Ok, ok... I read the article and ended up with this gem of a click bait:

http://www.lifebuzz.com/builder-13/?p=1&a=17&utm_source=tb2&utm_campaign=LFB-US-DKT-TAB-KidHouse-9&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=13-Yr-Old+Builds+Own+House+For+%241%2C500%3A+Look+When+He+Opens+Door+And+Reveals+89+Sq+Ft+Masterpiece+https%3A%2F%2Fprezna.com%2Fget%2Fnsz-9217437371770394609.jpg&utm_term=mrctv-cns

Now that's awesome.

But back to Poland and Sunday shopping.  It's like Eastern Europe is becoming more conservative as Western Europe goes helter skelter.  It's like a wait-and-see how this all shakes up.

Fascinating.  Makes me wonder what the impact will be from a spiritual perspective.  Not shopping, in and of itself and especially when you have no choice in the matter, isn't likely enough to get spiritual blessings, but what people choose to do with that day now that they don't have to work and can't shop could be a great benefit.

Guest MormonGator

So, a Jewish guy in Poland can't shop on a Sunday? I didn't read the article. 

I get the sinking and unpleasant feeling that if this was an article about a Muslim country banning shopping on their holy day people would be jumping up and down and a theocracy. 

Edited by MormonGator

2 hours ago, MormonGator said:

So, a Jewish guy in Poland can't shop on a Sunday? I didn't read the article. 

I get the sinking and unpleasant feeling that if this was an article about a Muslim country banning shopping on their holy day people would be jumping up and down and a theocracy. 

Jewish people in predominantly Catholic countries do what they always do when they're the minority group.  Tolerate the desires of the majority.  It's the same thing Catholics do in Israel.  Catholics in Israel get to tolerate having to work 6 days a week and only having Saturday (not even a Sunday!) off and have most stores closed then... although yeah, they changed that recently.

Nobody is jumping up and down about divorce being illegal in the Philippines... or if they are, the Filipinos couldn't care less.

Muslim countries live by Shariah Law.  Nobody is jumping up and down about it except when they try to impose Shariah on non-Muslim countries.

Edited by anatess2

Guest MormonGator
33 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

When a Christian goes to Israel, can he go shopping on Saturday?

Can he? 

This is odd to me. I'm against government using the rule of law to demand that stores close on Sunday. I'm also against government using the law to force a Christian baker to bake a cake for a gay couple. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/28/2017 at 11:56 AM, MormonGator said:

Exactly, and a large part of "allow(ing) all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may," would include not celebrating when they're forced to conform to religious rules that suit us but place undue hardship on them.  For example, a Jew with a typical Monday-Friday work week is left with only Sunday for any shopping that needs to be done during the day.  Same for a Seventh Day Adventist, (of note, they claim 20 million members, so 25% more than LDS) Seventh Day Baptist, (all couple thousand of them) or any other seventh-day observer.  Prohibiting them from shopping on Sunday means they're stuck without a "catch up" day to get everything done that they try to avoid doing on their Sabbath.

So let's turn it around: assume the SDAs and Jews take over and get to pick which day the stores must legally be closed on.  If any of us were legally prohibited from shopping, going to a movie or other non-essential activities on Saturdays, and theologically prohibited from doing such things on Sundays, how many would only exceptionally rarely be able to take a day off work and pull the kids out of school for a day at a museum, or a family trip to Six Flags?  How many people voluntarily work weekends because they need the extra money?  Judging from the Saturday crowds pretty much everywhere, a huge number of people are dependent on having that "off" day to get many things done, and a lot of low-income people are dependent on their commerce to make ends meet.

"Blue laws" have been a pretty resounding failure in the US; aside from North Dakota (which is expected to get a telephone any year now and learn how the rest of the country does things - they had to film Fargo in Minnesota because North Dakota hasn't been colorized yet.) and Bergen County NJ, (where most Jews and others just leave the county to shop on Sundays) they only still apply to alcohol and car dealerships in a few states.  Encouraging government to protect all (within reason) religious beliefs is at odds with the idea of having it enforce any group's beliefs.  Remember also that worshiping "how, where, or what they may," would also include worship of nothing, or of the self as the supreme entity, so we really shouldn't be promoting or celebrating any legal restrictions of voluntary actions based on anyone's religion.