Another stupid convert question

1 hour ago, dahlia said:

So I was watching a documentary showing Roosevelt getting sworn in and I wondered, when taking office or swearing in court, what do Mormons swear on? The Bible? The Book of Mormon? A Quad? 

Could you swear on the BOM?

Do Mormons take oaths?

I have never been sworn into office but I can’t see any reason why lds would not do the standard procedure and use the bible. 

1 hour ago, dahlia said:

So I was watching a documentary showing Roosevelt getting sworn in and I wondered, when taking office or swearing in court, what do Mormons swear on? The Bible? The Book of Mormon? A Quad? 

Do Mormons take oaths?

Yes, Mormons take oaths and swear on the scriptures... it's on the individual's head if s/he swears under oath and knowingly lies.

The abuse of swearing by the heavens above or the earth etc is what the commandment is about-  knowingly lying and calling god into it is the sin.

People read that commandment literally and assume the sin is swearing but the commandment is all about not bringing down a double portion of judgement upon your own head should you lie. The lie is the first transgression and the swearing upon such and such in order to bolster the lie is the second sin.

Hmm, it's sort of related (the double damnation) but I was reading Talmage on Judas recently and Judas added a double portion to his fate by having a go at Mary Mag when she washed the Savior's feet with expensive oil- see, he thought he was cunning by claiming that the oil could have been sold and the money given to the poor yet he betrayed the Savior for personal gain (money).   

Edited by Alex

Guest MormonGator

It's not a dumb question at all! I'd swear on the BOM and Bible if I ever ran for office (unlikely) and won (very unlikely). 

Edited by MormonGator

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

It's not a dumb question at all! I'd swear on the BOM and Bible if I ever ran for office (unlikely) and won (very unlikely). 

I used to think that......yet here I am.

Doesn't say much about the voters in my town.

Edited by Grunt

Guest MormonGator
14 minutes ago, Grunt said:

I used to think that......yet here I am.

Doesn't say much about the voters in my town.

Reporter: So Mr. Buckley, in the unlikely event you won the mayoral race, what would you do?
William F Buckley: Demand a recount. 

Yes, we take oaths of office and of enlistment in the military.  We'd traditionally swear on the Bible (for public office or jury duty).  But I have heard of (very rare) certain individuals who've made the choice to swear on a quad or BoM (all three were unconfirmed).  Never hear about anyone swearing on the PoGP or the D&C.  But it is perfectly normal for a Mormon to swear on the King James Bible.

The subject of taking oaths is somewhat foggy.  But I don't see any problem with taking an oath to uphold and defend a document which our scriptures state was inspired by God Himself.

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Yes, we'd traditionally swear on the Bible.  But I have heard of (very rare) certain individuals who've made the choice to swear on a quad or BoM.  But it is perfectly normal for a Mormon to swear on the King James Bible.

I've never really thought about this before!  Is there an atheist that has been in office?  Do they swear on something?

Just now, anatess2 said:

I've never really thought about this before!  Is there an atheist that has been in office?  Do they swear on something?

No, that is where the "or affirm" language came from.  Atheists will say "I solemnly affirm..." and don't use any book.  However, I remember a rumor about one of the famous atheists (Hitchens, I believe) who went to jury duty swearing on "Origin of Species" or something like that.  Whatever.  It takes all kinds.

1 minute ago, Carborendum said:

No, that is where the "or affirm" language came from.  Atheists will say "I solemnly affirm..." and don't use any book.  However, I remember a rumor about one of the famous atheists (Hitchens, I believe) who went to jury duty swearing on "Origin of Species" or something like that.  Whatever.  It takes all kinds.

That's hilarious!  Although, it may not have been hilarious for Hitchens...

I can imagine some Italian swearing over their dead mother's grave or something - like bring a picture of the grave and use that instead of a book.  :D

2 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

That's hilarious!  Although, it may not have been hilarious for Hitchens...

I can imagine some Italian swearing over their dead mother's grave or something - like bring a picture of the grave and use that instead of a book.  :D

It was just a rumor.  I tend to believe people like Hitchens aren't exactly "civic minded" enough to actually submit to Jury Duty if there were some way to avoid it.  And it would be easy for a man like him.  He'd just have to be his normal "charming" self and they'd excuse him in a split second.

Edited by Guest

47 minutes ago, Grunt said:

That was over a year ago.  I did a write-in campaign in my podunk town.  I won with 6 votes.  Not BY 6 votes.  WITH 6 votes AND there were other people actually on the ballot.  

Well... 6 votes is plenty for the Homeowners Association.  :D

• 6 months later...

It's neither.  Converts ask us questions that we likely know the answers to, because they don't know.  To a convert it may seem awkward or silly, to those with experience, we understand.  Kinda.

Kinda like the question "why is this guy necro-posting?"

Things that make ya go "hmmmm".    😉

On 6/3/2018 at 9:17 AM, pwrfrk said:

It's neither.  Converts ask us questions that we likely know the answers to, because they don't know.  To a convert it may seem awkward or silly, to those with experience, we understand.  Kinda.

Kinda like the question "why is this guy necro-posting?"

Because I didn't notice at first! Oh wait....

• 2 months later...
On 11/28/2017 at 4:19 PM, dahlia said:

Do Mormons take oaths?

this is a good question even if old, worth for others to see and seeing as its still on the front page here's my 2 cents- 
yes. we call them covenants as it is a two way oath. generally by saying yes or I do. and it is performed upon the priesthood.
also making strong promises in other areas of life to other things should also be taken very seriously as it involves honesty, honor and integrity.

Edited by Blackmarch