How many Gods DO we believe in?

gracie238

5 minutes ago, zil said:

Just because we don't (yet) know or understand something does not mean it doesn't make sense.  The two are not synonymous.  In the case of the Holy Ghost, we are simply lacking in sufficient knowledge to understand.  I'm certain that how he does what he does makes perfect sense.

I don't understand how my car works.  But I believe it works and makes sense to somebody.

Hmm, praising the spirit requires some detailed instruction.

I shall pray and ask for this to be discussed in conference. I would pray and ask for the spirit to guide me on how to praise him - a bit odd, yes- but he tends to give me impressions or feelings rather than specific detail.

Yes, he can give specific detail on specific things but it requires so much work on my behalf... it's just much easier to request a spiritually attuned apostle answer such a query.

:blush:

I just called the missionaries on this and had a good talk.  It came to a stalemate, though.  They said that there was doctrine that established we will become Gods, but they are looking it up to send me.  Someone else said the true doctrine was "exalted" with no further explanation and the rest is supposed, then THAT I can accept.   If the doctrine is we will become Gods, then that is something I would need to read the doctrine on and ponder.

29 minutes ago, Grunt said:

I just called the missionaries on this and had a good talk.  It came to a stalemate, though.  They said that there was doctrine that established we will become Gods, but they are looking it up to send me.  Someone else said the true doctrine was "exalted" with no further explanation and the rest is supposed, then THAT I can accept.   If the doctrine is we will become Gods, then that is something I would need to read the doctrine on and ponder.

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/76.50-70?lang=eng#p49

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/tg/man-potential-to-become-like-heavenly-father?lang=eng

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/132.1-24?lang=eng#p1

33 minutes ago, Grunt said:

We've been talking about exaltation this entire time.

39 minutes ago, Grunt said:

D&C 132: 19, 20.

Verse twenty states "Gods" in no uncertain terms.

edit

Here:

20 Then shall they be gods, because they have no end; therefore shall they be from everlasting to everlasting, because they continue; then shall they be above all, because all things are subject unto them. Then shall they be gods, because they have all power, and the angels are subject unto them.

21 Verily, verily, I say unto you, except ye abide my law ye cannot attain to this glory.

((I reckon the missionaries are good for Faith, Repentance, Baptism, TGOTHG and "back home..." but not too much else))

Edited by Alex

Also, I see a distinction from "gods" (little g) and God (big G) which generally is used to mean God the Father, the Godhead,  or perhaps the collective body of the exalted.

In other words, we not only become gods, but we become one with God. There is only one God.

Edited by bytebear

6 minutes ago, Grunt said:

So not EVERYONE will reach "godhood".  There are angels who didn't receive exaltation?

Yes.  We believe in three degrees of glory after the resurrection - the Celestial (where God is), the Terrestrial (no one here will be exalted or be a god), the Telestial (no one here will be exalted or be a god).  Those are the three degrees of glory.  There's also outer darkness, or perdition, where Satan is and where the Sons of Perdition will go (those who refuse to accept Christ, who totally and knowingly reject all glory).

2 hours ago, zil said:

Just because we don't (yet) know or understand something does not mean it doesn't make sense.  The two are not synonymous.  In the case of the Holy Ghost, we are simply lacking in sufficient knowledge to understand.  I'm certain that how he does what he does makes perfect sense.

Oh, Im sure it makes perfect sense eventually. Its the here and now understanding that makes no sense.

7 hours ago, zil said:

First we're exhausted, now we're exhaling.  I wonder what we'll be next. :hmmm:

exhausted, exhaling, excellent, then exceedingly excellent, then exhumed (resurrected - See Matt:27:52)  then exalted? 

Edited by askandanswer

Gooday @Grunt I've only read bits and pieces of this thread so somebody might have already said this. This https://www.lds.org/ensign/1971/04/the-king-follett-sermon?lang=eng is a link to the King Follett discourse, which is widely regarded as the first public statement by Joseph Smith about the idea that a man can become a god. This discourse is the foundation on which the man to god doctrine is built. Its pretty much the walls and ceilings as well. There's scriptural support for the idea as indicated in @zil's post above, but at this time of night the only one that readily comes to mind for me is 

(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 84:38)
38  And he that receiveth my Father receiveth my Father's kingdom; therefore all that my Father hath shall be given unto him.

And of course there is always the question of what father (Father) wouldn't want his (His) children to grow up and become like him (Him). 

4 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

Gooday @Grunt I've only read bits and pieces of this thread so somebody might have already said this. This https://www.lds.org/ensign/1971/04/the-king-follett-sermon?lang=eng is a link to the King Follett discourse, which is widely regarded as the first public statement by Joseph Smith about the idea that a man can become a god. This discourse is the foundation on which the man to god doctrine is built. Its pretty much the walls and ceilings as well. There's scriptural support for the idea as indicated in @zil's post above, but at this time of night the only one that readily comes to mind for me is 

(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 84:38)
38  And he that receiveth my Father receiveth my Father's kingdom; therefore all that my Father hath shall be given unto him.

And of course there is always the question of what father (Father) wouldn't want his (His) children to grow up and become like him (Him). 

Thanks!  Since my flight is in a few hours, I've spent most of the night reading and referencing.  Since most of the doctrine to support this belief is from revelation, which I still have difficulty accepting the accuracy or permanence of, I'll have to ponder it.  It's going to take awhile to get through it all.  Mostly, I'm reading the essay someone linked to earlier and backtracking from there.  I'm on D&C 88 currently.

I really do value what you all post and I honestly note most of it then reference and research it.  It just takes awhile.  I don't want you folks to think that I don't appreciate the time you take to reference and respond.  I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm trying to learn.  I ask questions, then research the responses, then ask MORE questions, wash-rinse-repeat.  

It's harder now since I'm moving past what I consider "the basics".

You're going to get what you need most through prayer and the inspiration of the Holy Ghost, rather than study, although study helps a lot. I can't help wondering if you haven't already received what you need through prayer and the Holy Ghost, but just haven't quite acted on it yet or responded to it in the preferred manner? 

Having said that, I should also say that I admire and respect the care and diligence, the time and work, and the mental effort you are putting into this. I hope that your study of the gospel will be one of those occasions where the more you put into something, the more you get out of it. I'm very confident that if pursued to the end, the outcome will enormously exceed your inputs.