3 minutes ago, zil said:

Or tell her you think pale skin is sexy. ;) Seriously, I do not comprehend the thought process that leads one to intentionally do something which has no purpose except to darken the skin God gave you.

Baffledly yours,

Zil

As somebody who comes from a country where whitening soap is popular (I kid you not!), I get this.  My husband tanned (spray, not beds) when he did runway - it gives more definition to muscle tone and gives a "healthy glow".  

I color my hair with blonde-ish highlights, wear colored contact lenses, re-bond my hair to make it straight.  And then here's my blue-eyed blonde friend who curls her hair and colors it brunette.  I guess it's just the adult version of those days when we were 3 years old and we would wear our mother's dresses and shoes and paint our faces with her lipstick.  :D

4 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

As somebody who comes from a country where whitening soap is popular (I kid you not!), I get this.  My husband tanned (spray, not beds) when he did runway - it gives more definition to muscle tone and gives a "healthy glow".  

I color my hair with blonde-ish highlights, wear colored contact lenses, re-bond my hair to make it straight.  And then here's my blue-eyed blonde friend who curls her hair and colors it brunette.  I guess it's just the adult version of those days when we were 3 years old and we would wear our mother's dresses and shoes and paint our faces with her lipstick.  :D

Still baffling.

26 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Speaking of activities with no discernible purpose—how’s that fountain pen thing working out for you two? :satan:

Writing is a purpose - note taking, journaling, letter writing, etc.  These have a purpose.  I use fountain pens to enhance an otherwise normal, mundane activity.

If she enjoyed beach volleyball, or strolls along the river, or some other outdoor activity, and happened to tan while doing these things - whatever.  But to lay utterly inert in a coffin while UV rays darken your skin?  What a waste.

15 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

My inks don't tan.  Black and blue-black only.  @zil's get swappy with their multicolors.  I'm sure she tans them.

I have Robert Oster Caffe Crema and Gold Antiqua on the way, you could say there's some tanning going on...

Caffe_Crema_Sw_compact.png?v=1483653929Gold_Antiqua_compact.png?v=1473265833

Edited by zil

4 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Even better.  If Christ himself can spend an entire year being zero years old, then zil's point is basically made. 

[Wondering If I should point out that there was no “year zero” and that we went from December 31, 1 BC to January 1, AD 1]

[Nah, fuhgeddabouddit.]

1 minute ago, Just_A_Guy said:

[Wondering If I should point out that there was no “year zero” and that we went from December 31, 1 BC to January 1, AD 1]

That may be, but from the day Christ was born until the day he turned one year old, he was zero years old. ;) His age in years was 0.  (The same could be said for everyone else who was born before their first birthday. :huh: )

36 minutes ago, zil said:

That may be, but from the day Christ was born until the day he turned one year old, he was zero years old. ;) His age in years was 0.  (The same could be said for everyone else who was born before their first birthday. :huh: )

AD 1, or Anno Domini 1, means the first Year of the Lord. By definition, that was the year the Lord was born -- in other words, AD 1 corresponds to Jesus being 0 years old. Jesus' 33rd birthday would take place in AD 34, no matter which day of the year he was born. In fact, if Christ was actually born on or near Christmas Day (which is at least as likely as the old Mormon myth that he was born on April 6), and if the new year took place on January 1, as it does for us, then Christ would have been one week old at the beginning of the year AD 2.

Joseph Smith experienced his first theophany in his "fifteenth year" -- that is, when he was fourteen years old. Your first year is the year you're born, and ends when you turn one year old, at which point you're in your second year. That's what's going on with this AD business. There is no such thing as "Year 0" or "AD 0".

Edited by Vort

I had a friend in HS with that absolutely gorgeous auburn hair that about 90% of women wish they had, and about 40% will try at least once in their lives to get through bleaching and dyeing.  She dyed it black.  :mellow:

She did at least keep it waist length with the natural wave, but still.

18 minutes ago, Vort said:

Joseph Smith experienced his first theophany in his "fifteenth year" -- that is, when he was fourteen years old. Your first year is the year you're born, and ends when you turn one year old, at which point you're in your second year. That's what's going on with this AD business. There is no such thing as "Year 0" or "AD 0".

So, it's 2017.  Does that mean we are 2017 years from Christ's birth, or are we "in the 2017th year of Christ's birth", meaning it's actually 2016?  The three checks I've written this year need to know.

3 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

So, it's 2017.  Does that mean we are 2017 years from Christ's birth, or are we "in the 2017th year of Christ's birth", meaning it's actually 2016?  The three checks I've written this year need to know.

The second. Your checks are safe. Though the fact that you have already written three checks this year, with four weeks remaining to write a *gasp* fourth, proves that you're an old fogey.

8 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

I’d be happy to check for you.  Just tell me all the digits printed across the bottom of your checks.

Oh, and for no particular reason . . . What was your mother’s maiden name?

Edited by Just_A_Guy

5 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

I’d be happy to check for you.  Just tell me all the digits printed across the bottom of your checks.

Oh thank you for checking JaG!  This has been plaguing me for years!

Across the bottom of my checks: -... .. - . / -- .

Mother's maiden name: 74 61 6b 65 61 67 72 65 61 74 62 69 67 62 69 74 65

7 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Where is @anatess2's meme about your Stormtrooper ID?

49 minutes ago, Vort said:

There is no such thing as "Year 0" or "AD 0".

But there is such a thing as zero years old. ;)  (ETA: Assuming we floor, or round to the nearest whole year.)

30 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

This is why we just go with "AD". :lol:  You did put "AD" on your checks after the year, right?  Maybe @Just_A_Guy better check that for you.

Edited by zil

It seems that the best answer is what was given already...find out WHY she is tanning.

If she is tanning because she feels it makes her beautiful, ask her who she is doing this for.  If you do NOT find it beautiful, tell her that you find her prettier without that tan than with, and if she's doing it for you, perhaps she could consider the alternative.

On the otherhand, if she is doing it for other guys...maybe ask her why she feels it is more important to be beautiful for other guys more than it is to be beautiful for you?

It could be for other reasons (though in many instances they do it because of a beauty thing rather than anything else).  It could be that she feels she does not get enough vitamin D (I know a couple that tan for this exact reason, and in Utah's climate, I know I've been diagnosed as needing to take vitamin D because I have a very low amount of it during the winter...it could be that couple has solved this problem with tanning...I don't know).

Or it could be a social thing where that's where she socializes with others.  The key is to get to the root of the thing of WHY she chooses to do so. It may be, that once one learns of her reasoning, you might even agree with her!!!

On 11/30/2017 at 3:37 PM, Nick0123 said:

I have been dating this girl for awhile now. I have bought a ring and everything and we are deeply in love. There is one thing that has come up a couple of times that has been a source of contention. We always get over it but I just want some advice about what I should do. Okay so we will call her Susie. Susie loves to go tanning. I know it seems harmless to her. However I have read the statistics and just how dangerous indoor tanning actually is. Increased chance of melanoma by 75%. I expressed this concern in the nicest way I knew how but she did not like what I said. She reassures me that she will not get skin cancer but I dont know how she could know this. I just want her to be around when we have kids and not laid up in the hospital or recovering from skin cancer. Anways any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

1ac2fb4e16e5dc92cc910f68409fea93.jpg

Mister. You just need to quit it! Knock that foolish controlling and petty stuff off before she smacks your nose with a rolled up newspaper and tells you to go marry a duck. 

Edited by Bad Karma

Maybe she just likes a tan? If you have an urge to control your partners behavior, I would pray about that and perhaps consider some counselling.Lds counseling appears to be pretty cheap. In my location at least. Perhaps a few sessions to discuss desire to control?

Edited by Sunday21

15 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm the only one who took the time to fully enjoy this post...  Surely anyone who did would have "reacted" to it...? Ah well, your efforts weren't entirely wasted, NT. :)

16 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Is that ASCII or EBCDIC?