1 hour ago, zil said:

74 61 6b 65 61 67 72 65 61 74 62 69 67 62 69 74 65

If the first bold item doesn't answer your question, the second one should have.

Slacker.  I did it the manual way - with a fountain pen.

The both of you have gone way beyond the social media standard for nerdness and has penetrated the world of autists.

Full disclosure: The term "NeuroTypical" has both a definitional meaning and a cultural one.  The definitional meaning is easy - someone whose neural functions operate in typical fashion.

The cultural meaning comes from the autistic community.  It is a perjorative, used by autistic folks when referring to non-autistic people.  Example: "I just got off work.  Eight hours surrounded by clueless neurotypicals before I could gnaw my leg off and escape."

Now you know.
image.png.fe3dca0eec72521ab956ca4855bfc64e.png

Edited by NeuroTypical

56 minutes ago, zil said:

Did you hear that, @Vort?  (Is @NeuroTypical included in this as well?)  We've just been called über-geeks by a geek.  We should get some sort of cyber-credit for that. :D

Geek?  I am no geek!  The world would be a much better place if we just send all geeks to that island the Aussies use for their illegal immigrants.

Geek - tries to be a nerd but is just not smart enough.  ;)

10 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Full disclosure: The term "NeuroTypical" has both a definitional meaning and a cultural one.  The definitional meaning is easy - someone whose neural functions operate in typical fashion.

The cultural meaning comes from the autistic community.  It is a perjorative, used by autistic folks when referring to non-autistic people.  Example: "I just got off work.  Eight hours surrounded by clueless neurotypicals before I could gnaw my leg off and escape."

Now you know.
image.png.fe3dca0eec72521ab956ca4855bfc64e.png

My son asked me if I'm sure he is not on the "spectrum" and that I should get him tested.  I guess being autistic is now some kind of badge of honor for them Gen Z kids. 

1 minute ago, anatess2 said:

Geek?  I am no geek!  The world would be a much better place if we just send all geeks to that island the Aussies use for their illegal immigrants.

Geek - tries to be a nerd but is just not smart enough.  ;)

Hmm.

Nerd: a foolish or contemptible person who lacks social skills or is boringly studious.   a single-minded expert in a particular technical field.

Geek: an unfashionable or socially inept person.   a knowledgeable and obsessive enthusiast.

Hmm.  I think I'm just going to stop here.  Though I'm tempted to call someone a dork. :itwasntme:

5 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

I guess being autistic is now some kind of badge of honor for them Gen Z kids. 

I've noticed that.  That, and pride in having some weird unique answer to questions about gender and sexual preference.  Why say M/Straight, when you can say something like "transitioning biomale currently identifying as androgynous/asexual but occasional furry-anthro".  

Edited by NeuroTypical

15 minutes ago, zil said:

Hmm.

Nerd: a foolish or contemptible person who lacks social skills or is boringly studious.   a single-minded expert in a particular technical field.

Geek: an unfashionable or socially inept person.   a knowledgeable and obsessive enthusiast.

Hmm.  I think I'm just going to stop here.  Though I'm tempted to call someone a dork. :itwasntme:

Some geek made those definitions.  :D

16 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

I've noticed that.  That, and pride in having some weird unique answer to questions about gender and sexual preference.  Why say M/Straight, when you can say something like "transitioning biomale currently identifying as androgynous/asexual but occasional furry-anthro".  

That's good!  I should tell my kid that!  My son just says apache attack helicopter, which I guess is some reddit thing.... kinda funny that my other son accuses him of culturally appropriating native americans.  I can't keep up with these kids.

Edited by anatess2

2 hours ago, anatess2 said:

That's good!  I should tell my kid that!  My son just says apache attack helicopter, which I guess is some reddit thing.... kinda funny that my other son accuses him of culturally appropriating native americans.  I can't keep up with these kids.

I think the notion of cultural appropriation is flawed. A less judgemental and more accurate would be cultural blending. A situation where all cultures can freely make use of the components and features of all other cultures is a better situation than one in which each culture jealously guards its own features and components and labels attempts by other cultures to use these features and components as "appropriation". I also think its a bit odd that those in favour of multiculturalism are often opposed to so called "cultural appropriation."

On 11/30/2017 at 5:37 PM, Nick0123 said:

I have been dating this girl for awhile now. I have bought a ring and everything and we are deeply in love. There is one thing that has come up a couple of times that has been a source of contention. We always get over it but I just want some advice about what I should do. Okay so we will call her Susie. Susie loves to go tanning. I know it seems harmless to her. However I have read the statistics and just how dangerous indoor tanning actually is. Increased chance of melanoma by 75%. I expressed this concern in the nicest way I knew how but she did not like what I said. She reassures me that she will not get skin cancer but I dont know how she could know this. I just want her to be around when we have kids and not laid up in the hospital or recovering from skin cancer. Anways any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

If you knew this before you bought the ring, then just shut up about it.

If this is something new that you found out about after you bought the ring, then decide whether it bothers you enough to end it all right now.  Because I'll tell you one thing, she's not changing for you.

• 1 month later...
On 11/30/2017 at 4:37 PM, Nick0123 said:

I have been dating this girl for awhile now. I have bought a ring and everything and we are deeply in love. There is one thing that has come up a couple of times that has been a source of contention. We always get over it but I just want some advice about what I should do. Okay so we will call her Susie. Susie loves to go tanning. I know it seems harmless to her. However I have read the statistics and just how dangerous indoor tanning actually is. Increased chance of melanoma by 75%. I expressed this concern in the nicest way I knew how but she did not like what I said. She reassures me that she will not get skin cancer but I dont know how she could know this. I just want her to be around when we have kids and not laid up in the hospital or recovering from skin cancer. Anways any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

This is a unique topic. 
Only input I'll give ya. Back in my days of being a cop I was prob 25/26 or so, married and working the beat. Went to a homicide one day and in the apartment was this young lady (maybe 35) laying naked on the floor with a bullet in the face. Completely naked and quite clearly a sun worshipper. She had also had some other surgery done if you know what I mean. I had run into her a few times as she was an ER nurse at the hospital I used to bring DUIs to. She was a good looker except you could tell she was always catching the rays. I actually thought she was about 50.

All I can say is after seeing that complete picture I am sure that you will not like what she will end up looking like. That is self inflicted skin damage. After some time her hide will tan right up and it will look ugly.

On 11/30/2017 at 4:37 PM, Nick0123 said:

This is a unique topic. 
Only input I'll give ya. Back in my days of being a cop I was prob 25/26 or so, married and working the beat. Went to a homicide one day and in the apartment was this young lady (maybe 35) laying naked on the floor with a bullet in the face. Completely naked and quite clearly a sun worshipper. She had also had some other surgery done if you know what I mean. I had run into her a few times as she was an ER nurse at the hospital I used to bring DUIs to. She was a good looker except you could tell she was always catching the rays. I actually thought she was about 50.

All I can say is after seeing that complete picture I am sure that you will not like what she will end up looking like. That is self inflicted skin damage. After some time her hide will tan right up and it will look ugly.