This always happens to me

As a former Catholic, I learned my Catechism, not the Bible. So, there were a lot of times when the missionaries would tell me something, and in the back of my  mind, I'd think - y'all have got to be fooling - then I'd find out it was right from the Bible. This is one reason why I believe the Church is true - every time I doubted, the missionaries were able to point to the Bible and show me where a belief or practice came from. Cool.

Well, I've been asked to give a short talk on Christ's mercy and was looking up some relevant scripture. Earlier this evening I was reading a thread here about being cast into outer darkness. "Outer darkness" was another one of these phrases that I thought the LDS had made up. So, imagine my surprise when I read, "but the sons of the kingdom will be cast out into the outer darkness." Matthew 8:5-13   Wait - 'Outer darkness' is in the Bible??? You mean Joseph Smith didn't make it up?  I love it when this happens to me. I've read the BOM a few times. Maybe for 2018 my goal should be to read the Bible. I might learn something. :D

On 12/2/2017 at 7:53 PM, dahlia said:

As a former Catholic, I learned my Catechism, not the Bible. So, there were a lot of times when the missionaries would tell me something, and in the back of my  mind, I'd think - y'all have got to be fooling - then I'd find out it was right from the Bible. This is one reason why I believe the Church is true - every time I doubted, the missionaries were able to point to the Bible and show me where a belief or practice came from. Cool.

Well, I've been asked to give a short talk on Christ's mercy and was looking up some relevant scripture. Earlier this evening I was reading a thread here about being cast into outer darkness. "Outer darkness" was another one of these phrases that I thought the LDS had made up. So, imagine my surprise when I read, "but the sons of the kingdom will be cast out into the outer darkness." Matthew 8:5-13   Wait - 'Outer darkness' is in the Bible??? You mean Joseph Smith didn't make it up?  I love it when this happens to me. I've read the BOM a few times. Maybe for 2018 my goal should be to read the Bible. I might learn something. :D

Oh yeah.  That's probably because we used a different Bible.  The Dhuay-Rheims use "exterior darkness" and the Living Catholic Bible use "thrown out into the darkness" so that phrase, outer darkness, is not commonly used in epistles.

I have to say, I've been LDS for so long that I tend to use LDS terminology when talking to my Catholic family and have to stop myself and refer to it in Catholic lingo - like Eucharist instead of Sacrament, ya know?