Accepting free gifts

Traveler

Since this is Christmas and a season of exchanging gifts – what are some of your thoughts concerning D&C 42:54

“…thou shalt pay for that which thou shalt receive of thy brother.”

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

4 hours ago, Traveler said:

Since this is Christmas and a season of exchanging gifts – what are some of your thoughts concerning D&C 42:54

The Traveler

A sincere "thank you" doesn't cost anything yet too many can't seem to even manage that. An example - For years, I've wondered why those who get Christmas provided by the ward via an angel tree can't write thank you notes and hang them where the 'I want' tags were. It can still be done anonymously and it would show that they didn't just expect it or feel entitled.

I was involved with helping a close and dear friend in starting a business.  Because their products were new and unfamiliar in the USA part of their marking strategy was to offer free samples at public shows (home and garden type shows) in expo centers.  Even though the “free” samples were expensive the market strategy was that once the products were introduced that it would be a desired product that customers would willing “pay” for.

What I found interesting was that there was a definite “profile” that would gladly take a free sample and then attempt to take several more and would not stop “stealing” unless confronted.   I would confront them by saying, “Madam (or Sir), I see you have taken a free sample – if this is something you find worthwhile you can purchase whatever amount you believe you want or need.  On several occasions, they would leave in a huff only to return later and pretend they had not been there before.

Is there something about Christians (LDS included) that think it is honorable to accept free gifts and think they deserve more?

The Traveler

First, I feel it necessary to point out that it's not a gift unless it's free.  There's no such thing as a gift you pay for.

Next, your example isn't really a "gift" either - it's a gamble, a business strategy, an investment - you're using the freebies as marketing (and the recipents are expected to help you market), and you're hoping recipients may buy in the future - your gift is a form of solicitation.

A gift is where someone gives you something with no expectation of any return (if they're hoping you'll also buy them a gift or if they're hoping you'll use the gift to do something for them, then it's not a gift, it's a gamble, strategy, or investment).

Just because some people are willing to take advantage (like in your story), doesn't mean there's something wrong with voluntarily giving gifts, nor with receiving gifts gratefully.

That scripture you quoted, and the ones linked to it, seem to be talking about collateral and / or the United Order.  I don't think they relate to, for example, birthday gifts.

That said, a quick trip through the Topical Guide reveals that most scripture related to humans giving each other gifts is about giving generously to those who are not so well off as yourself.  Now if the poor, sick, or otherwise needy folk were not willing to receive, we could not fulfill the command to give freely to those in need; nor could they (in some cases) go on living and work their way out of their trial.  I do not want someone in my ward who needs a food order this month to ever pay me back - I want them to have their needs met through my fast offerings (and those of others), to receive such giving thanks to God, and to work hard to reach a state of self-reliance without having to worry about how they'll pay for the next meal.  If that's paying me back, so be it, but I don't want my fast offering refunded to me (until and unless I'm the one in need, which I try hard not to be).

We are also taught to serve one another.  If a widow goes outside on a snowy morning and chases away her neighbor who is clearing her walks for her - who is benefited?  She has denied him the gift of serving, and denied herself the gift of gratitude.  But if she receives that service with gratitude, and prays God's blessings upon her neighbor, the universe is a better place.

1 minute ago, my two cents said:

@zil - Food orders aren't supposed to be a free gift. That would be the same as the "evils of the dole" (Pres. Heber J. Grant). People are supposed to do things in return for the help they receive. 

I know that, but it's also not supposed to be "paid back" financially - no dollar amounts are mentioned anywhere in food orders - I'm the RSP at the moment who does them.  And I'm talking about me getting repaid for it, not the recipient doing service in order to maintain their self-respect.  When I pay my fast offering, it's a free gift.  I expect nothing in return.  And whatever food orders are supposed to be, there are people who simply cannot do some kind of service in return for them.  I know we don't want to believe that, but sometimes it's true.  In those situations, it's not the evil of the dole, giving to a person too lazy or selfish to work for their own good, it is pure mercy.

My point was, that from my end (as a payer of fast offerings), it's a free gift.  I'm not so sure that the food order isn't a gift as well as the invitation to provide what service the recipient can - in other words, giving them an opportunity to work, may well be a gift.

Let's just agree that I look at these things differently and can't find the words to explain that right now, and that you are (based on posts in this thread) clearly very concerned that people be grateful and work wherever possible.  It's not that I'm not concerned for those things, it's that it wasn't my intent to emphasize or even mention them.