Original Book Of Mormon

1 minute ago, Grunt said:

Sure, but to be perfectly honest I initially took a few of your posts the wrong way myself.  Maybe, as I suggested in an earlier post, step back and put yourself in their shoes for a minute.  Then everyone can take a deep breath and start again.

Perhaps it should start with them, not me, I am the one who was attacked. And to be fair, some members have apologised, and others have sent me personal messages apologising for the other members behaviour.  But others CONTINUE to attack me even after the fresh start has supposedly happened.

Edited by Blossom76

2 minutes ago, Blossom76 said:

Perhaps it should start with them, not me, I am the one who was attacked.

If that's what you think is best.  That doesn't sound overtly Christian to me, but who am I to judge.  I have my own sins to bear.

Good luck on your journey.

Edited by Grunt

Just now, Grunt said:

If that's what you think is best.  That doesn't sound overtly Christian to me, but who am I to judge.  I have my own sins to bear.

Good luck in your journey.

Christian? They way I have been treated is far from Christian

11 minutes ago, Blossom76 said:

Their side appears to be - assume the worst, get super defensive and personally attack people for asking valid questions.  

The worst thing is I am only seeking God and truth.  I started questioning my own faith, was given a Book of Mormon and started seriously considering that maybe the LDS church is the church acting with the authority of Jesus and not the Catholic Church as I was raised to believe.  I can tell you right now, if this is an indication of how faithful active LDS members behave, then I seriously doubt I will want anything to do with it.

I'm sorry with how some have responded but I would hope you wouldn't judge an entire religion based on *imperfect* people. After all, that's all this Church has as members.

6 minutes ago, Grunt said:

We've covered that.  I got it. It's better to wallow in self-pity than forgive and move on.

Have a great night.

Seriously? I did forgive and move on - then it was brought back up again in another attack calling me a liar of all things.

Have a great night

Edited by Blossom76

40 minutes ago, my two cents said:

I'm sorry with how some have responded but I would hope you wouldn't judge an entire religion based on *imperfect* people. After all, that's all this Church has as members.

Of course I will not, but I am furious at the response I have had to a genuine question

On the Subject of Joseph Smith's Polygamy we have another case were context matters and alot of people get the context wrong.

For most people when you mention that someone is a polygamy a very strong stereo-type presents itself.  1 Man, several wives, living in a compound like area.  It is a totally understandable stereo-type but it requires lots of effort to explain if it is not correct for a person. 

For example.  Brigham Young was a polygamist the stereo-type largely fits and we really do not need to explain the situation more.

For Joseph Smith the stereo-type is completely and totally wrong.  If all you do is say he was a polygamist odds are you are leaving a completely wrong idea in the minds of the people you talked to.  You have to go into detail on why he was so different.  One of the largest reason was Emma Smith.

Emma Smith's relationship with the Doctrine was "Complicated."  Like many people she struggled with the idea and practice, her feeling varied from hating it, to barely tolerating it, to full on denial and many emotions in between.  This made things difficult for Joseph, he needed to honor God and follow his command and he also need to Honor his wife.  That is a struggle that I would wish on no one.  Many here on this forums can sympathize.

Joseph Smith struggled to balance this and he was imperfect at it just like everyone else would be.  Historically it appears to be that his answer was after some trial and error was to practice that aspect of his religious life without Emma.  Which is horribly sad.  While he never gave up trying to convert her.  He became discrete about it to avoid throwing it in her face.

And this is just a very brief summary that does not really do justice to the issues at.  Polygamy is one of those subject that suck all the air out of the room.  You mention it briefly and you can't really do much but miss stuff, to give it the discussion it deserves you derail any other aspect.  Which is fine if the subject is intended to be polygamy, but any other subject gets pushed to the back.

But when it comes to history you do not really have Joseph & Emma and other wives surrounded by a passel of kids, which is the default understanding when you mention Joseph Smith Practicing polygamy