My First Missionary Lesson Is Next Week

Hello everyone I am new and know absolutely nothing about this church.

The other day I was at home, upset about life in general, and two young men knocked on my door from The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints, what a long name that is!

They came back a couple of days later and gave me a book of mormon to read, they were really lovely and I have agreed to read it and have a lesson with them next week.

I do not know anyone who is religious so I found this forum online for help and advice.

Is there anything other than reading some of the book of mormon that I should do to prepare for this lesson?  What part of it do you think I should read first?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

Since you do not know anyone who is religious, and you probably want to get a down-to-earth understanding of the religion you are about to learn of, you might try visiting http://www.mormon.org  The site is an official explanation of the church, specifically for those who are unfamiliar, but interested.  http://www.lds.org is also an official site, with much more in-depth information, should your curiosity make you want to look deeper. 

This site is good for raising questions that regular members of the church can answer. The answers here are not "official," but most posters are knowledgeable. I am not a member, but came here with questions. Despite not converting, I found the people and conversations so friendly and informative, I've stayed around. 

Edited by prisonchaplain

Welcome, @truthseaker!  I think the best thing you can do to prepare for your meeting with the missionaries is just read the Book of Mormon - don't skip the introductory pages - the title page, introduction, testimony of witnesses, brief explanation - these contain important information.  You might also want to skip to the end (Moroni 10:3-5 or so) and read the promise and challenge there.  Then just start with the first book - 1 Nephi.

Ask us whatever questions you have - no such thing as a bad question. :)

ETA: Pray as you read, and pay attention to the things you feel and thoughts that come to your mind - these are how the Holy Ghost testifies of truth.

Edited by zil

36 minutes ago, prisonchaplain said:

Since you do not know anyone who is religious, and you probably want to get a down-to-earth understanding of the religion you are about to learn of, you might try visiting http://www.mormong.org  The site is an official explanation of the church, specifically for those who are unfamiliar, but interested.  http://www.lds.org is also an official site, with much more in-depth information, should your curiosity make you want to look deeper. 

This site is good for raising questions that regular members of the church can answer. The answers here are not "official," but most posters are knowledgeable. I am not a member, but came here with questions. Despite not converting, I found the people and conversations so friendly and informative, I've stayed around. 

I would correct that to mormon.org  :)

What an awesome experience you will have studying with the missionaries.  This is a pretty good place to ask questions as well.  There are anti mormon websites around so you do have to be careful on where you go.

I would read the parts the missionaries asked you to read.  Write down some questions that you might have and also somethings you learned, and discuss it with them.  Good luck! 

Thanks everyone!  I will read go back and read all the intro stuff zil because I didn't do that, I skipped straight to chapter one 1 Nephi 

They are coming on Wednesday, I'm pretty excited, there was just something about them, you could tell they were close to God

9 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Isn't there a rule about posting links to anti-Mormon sites?

:P

You misunderstand. Yes, when you click the http://www.ag.org you will find a link to a Pentecostal Evangel article entitled "Adoring God Through the Pain." However, "the pain" not referring to any particular religious group, nor any particular individual (cough:  @Carborendum) within a faith tradition.  :P:P:P

10 minutes ago, prisonchaplain said:

You misunderstand. Yes, when you click the http://www.ag.org you will find a link to a Pentecostal Evangel article entitled "Adoring God Through the Pain." However, "the pain" not referring to any particular religious group, nor any particular individual (cough:  @Carborendum) within a faith tradition.  :P:P:P

:clap::roflmbo:I LOVE YOU, MAN!!!

Edited by Guest

On 08/12/2017 at 1:12 PM, truthseaker said:

Hello everyone I am new and know absolutely nothing about this church.

The other day I was at home, upset about life in general, and two young men knocked on my door from The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints, what a long name that is!

They came back a couple of days later and gave me a book of mormon to read, they were really lovely and I have agreed to read it and have a lesson with them next week.

I do not know anyone who is religious so I found this forum online for help and advice.

Is there anything other than reading some of the book of mormon that I should do to prepare for this lesson?  What part of it do you think I should read first?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

Absolutely great to see another Aussie on here! The American vocies on here really need to hear more of us, although they probaby don't realise that. :) 

My son is currently serving as a missionary here in Australia, walking around and knocking on doors looking for people to teach. I hope he finds someone like you who is ready and willing to listen to and consider their message.

I had my lesson, it was really interesting, it was about jospeh smith and how he started the mormon church, I have been invited to go to church with them on Sunday, I am going to go.  They told me church goes for 3 hours!

Guest MormonGator
5 hours ago, truthseaker said:

I had my lesson, it was really interesting, it was about jospeh smith and how he started the mormon church, I have been invited to go to church with them on Sunday, I am going to go.  They told me church goes for 3 hours!

The sacrament session goes for about one hour, then the members split up into groups like Sunday School, priesthood session, etc. Feel free to stay for only one hour at your first time. It can get really overwhelming at first! 

Guest MormonGator
Just now, zil said:

You only say that because when we all go together, it takes three pews (in the middle, not the short, side-pews) and they have to set up extra chairs in Relief Society and Primary.

The attorney general of Florida stopped by today. Thank goodness wives 2-8 were out grocery shopping. 

Hi @truthseaker, I'm late to this party.  About your question on the Book of Mormon (where to read first)... from the beginning is a good answer.  But I have been giving people who are interested in reading the Book of Mormon this excellent write-up from @Vort.  It's a super excellent summary of what the book is about.  Having the overview kinda gives you a good footing on what is happening as you read the book.

1 hour ago, Vort said:

Wow. I'm surprised and gratified by that, anatess. I do hope my explanations were of some use to Sunday21 and others.

I thought I mentioned it here before.  I'm pretty sure it was while we were still going over BOM in Sunday School.  I gave your write-up to our ward.  Then when we get investigators, I give them one too.  I compiled the "parts" into one article.

P.S.  My son's gf and her sister are getting baptized by my son on Christmas Eve.  I know for sure this helped both of them (they're teens having a difficult time with the old english).

Edited by anatess2

10 minutes ago, truthseaker said:

Thank you, and don't worry I don't think this church is weird, and I will stay for the full 3 hours.  I want to see what all of church is like

It is quite all right, in my opinion, to think the LDS church is weird because it is.  Essentially, that is one way to know the true church from others.  We are directed to be "set apart" or be different from those around us so embrace the weird.  Best wishes for you on your journey. 

25 minutes ago, eVa said:

It is quite all right, in my opinion, to think the LDS church is weird because it is.  Essentially, that is one way to know the true church from others.  We are directed to be "set apart" or be different from those around us so embrace the weird.  Best wishes for you on your journey. 

I've said this multiple times on this site.  We are supposed to be a peculiar people.  And if others want to separate themselves from us because we're "weird,"  I say: GREAT!!  We're doing exactly what Christ told us to do.