My First Missionary Lesson Is Next Week

1 hour ago, truthseaker said:

Thank you, and don't worry I don't think this church is weird, and I will stay for the full 3 hours.  I want to see what all of church is like

Well, in that case, it's probable that the lesson for the 3rd hour will be this: https://www.lds.org/manual/teachings-of-presidents-of-the-church-gordon-b-hinckley/chapter-25-move-forward-with-faith?lang=eng

...in case you wanted to read ahead and impress people, or something.... ;)

On 12/9/2017 at 3:43 PM, askandanswer said:

Absolutely great to see another Aussie on here! The American vocies on here really need to hear more of us, although they probaby don't realise that.

My wife served her mission in Australia.  That's almost close enough, right?  ;)

14 hours ago, SilentOne said:

*wonders when that compound gag started*

I think it began in this sequence:

...specifically with this post:

The compound proper may have started in the following post (I decline to search harder / longer to determine with absolute certainty):

...but regardless, it's so scattered throughout so many posts that only someone with a real (and serious and disturbing) mental disorder could actually go through every post since 16 December 2015 and find all the ones in this gag.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just an update for anyone who want to know.  I've had 6 lessons with the missionaries so far, its interesting but one thing I don't like is they keep asking me to be baptised.  It's getting uncomfortable, I've told them twice already that if I decide thats what I want to do they'll be the first people I tell.  I'm not just going to join a church after a few lessons and a going to church a couple of times. They're really sweet and I don't wan to upset them but they need to stop asking!

On 30/12/2017 at 3:30 AM, askandanswer said:

What did you learn and what did you feel during the lesson?

I'm learning basic things about the church I guess, how it started, about Jospeh, the Word of Wisdom, tithing requirements, stuff like that, as far as feeling anything, I mostly feel uncomfortable, waiting for the missionaries to ask me to be baptised again, I just want to focus on what I'm learning about the church.

Lol, missionaries are often like that, they feel that baptising people in their main purpose, and the thing that will be of greatest worth to whoever they are teaching. I'd try again telling them not to ask you that, and explaining how it makes you feel, but perhaps a little more firmly this time. How are you doing with reading the Book of Mormon?

Guest MormonGator
9 minutes ago, truthseaker said:

I'm learning basic things about the church I guess, how it started, about Jospeh, the Word of Wisdom, tithing requirements, stuff like that, as far as feeling anything, I mostly feel uncomfortable, waiting for the missionaries to ask me to be baptised again, I just want to focus on what I'm learning about the church.

Feel free to tell them to slow it down my friend. Most missionaries would understand that. 

1 minute ago, MormonGator said:

Feel free to tell them to slow it down my friend. Most missionaries would understand that. 

I've tried, I'll try again, and they're so young, I feel like I'm breaking their little hearts every time I say no

Guest MormonGator
Just now, truthseaker said:

I've tried, I'll try again, and they're so young, I feel like I'm breaking their little hearts every time I say no

Sorry to hear that. They are just kids, and they can get very enthusiastic sometimes. Stay strong, tell them what you told us, and things will be fine.  

Just now, MormonGator said:

Sorry to hear that. They are just kids, and they can get very enthusiastic sometimes. Stay strong, tell them what you told us, and things will be fine.  

I know they look so little, I just want to feed them and send them home to see their family, they must miss their mothers so much.  I probably haven't been direct enough with them, I don't want to hurt their feelings

Guest MormonGator
Just now, truthseaker said:

I know they look so little, I just want to feed them and send them home to see their family, they must miss their mothers so much.  I probably haven't been direct enough with them, I don't want to hurt their feelings

You are a great person my friend. I really admire you taking their feelings into consideration. That's awesome of you. 

39 minutes ago, truthseaker said:

Just an update for anyone who want to know.  I've had 6 lessons with the missionaries so far, its interesting but one thing I don't like is they keep asking me to be baptised.  It's getting uncomfortable, I've told them twice already that if I decide thats what I want to do they'll be the first people I tell.  I'm not just going to join a church after a few lessons and a going to church a couple of times. They're really sweet and I don't wan to upset them but they need to stop asking!

Just tell them that- point blank style.  And of course, be forgiving when they slip and do (they are excited about the prospect after all).  Reminders might be required.  

26 minutes ago, truthseaker said:

They are young.  And having someone experience the job of baptism... that's very similar to experiencing the joy of opening Christmas gifts.  Hence their excitement (and sometimes overly so) about it.  Just be firm with them about telling them how you feel- they'll understand (or try their best to).