The "I'm not really a huge Star Wars fan, and frankly I think people going overboard for a silly space fantasy is kind of weird" thread

Vort

Yeah, haven't really paid attention since the original 3.  On the other hand, I need a toaster, and when I tripped over this, I actually paused and looked (kind of like how you look at an accident - you don't really want anything to do with it, but you feel a sick compulsion to look closer):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GD6QWHO/ref=twister_B06XFP86QR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

61qDmMssdGL._AC_UL115_.jpg

Just now, Vort said:

Stupid toaster. One element is burnt out, so my toast always has a dark side.

I haven't had a toaster for years - it wore out, so I switched to using the toaster oven.  The toaster oven and I had a little disagreement Saturday morning.  Still not sure who won - it declines to participate anymore.  Since I don't really use it for anything other than toasting, I decided to get a toaster instead of a new toaster oven.  Now I'm hunting.  I wish there were only 15 toasters available on the planet and 14 of them sucked. :rolleyes:

[Announcer voice] We now return you to our regularly scheduled Star Wars "meh" fest. [/Announcer voice]

Everyone has there own fandom/vices  For example sports and Fountain Pens...

Stars Wars is simply one of those...  If you are not apart of it then you will not understand it...  But the fans can spends hours and days trying to convince you with a great degree of enthusiasm.

23 minutes ago, estradling75 said:

Everyone has there own fandom/vices  For example sports and Fountain Pens...

Stars Wars is simply one of those...  If you are not apart of it then you will not understand it...  But the fans can spends hours and days trying to convince you with a great degree of enthusiasm.

41 minutes ago, Vort said:

Because I'm not really a huge Star Wars fan, and frankly I think people going overboard for a silly space fantasy is kind of weird. Anyone else?

Literally me on Highschool:

”Why do people like Football? It’s just a bunch of guys hitting each other on a field. Kinda silly and weird.”

I now have more respect for it though, I love a good sports game. It is however still a little silly when you describe it x)

10 minutes ago, Fether said:

Literally me on Highschool:

”Why do people like Football? It’s just a bunch of guys hitting each other on a field. Kinda silly and weird.”

I now have more respect for it though, I love a good sports game. It is however still a little silly when you describe it x)

Before ward council 2 or 3 ward councils ago, the YM president and 2nd counselor in the bishopric were discussing football.  They paused long enough to ask me if I liked football.  I replied, "Buff guys in tight pants beating the crap out of each other?  What's not to like?"  Apparently neither will think of me in the same way ever again.

Well, my kids Cajoled me to see that last Star Wars film, (The Force Awakens?) with them (and they are hinting that they are going to take me to this new one coming out.  I think grandma is going to decline this time around).

I don't get some of the excitement on these new ones.  It seemed like they just repeated the old one with new characters for the last one.  I can only guess that it's new kids who never knew saw the original movies that are really excited about this new movie, then I see my kids and they seem over the top with excitement.

I can only imagine it will be like that new Maginificent 7 movie that came out.  I got all excited about it (plus Westerns are almost never put out in mainstream movie theaters anymore), and then found the original was better in every way (no one beats the King of Siam). 

On that note, found this...but a warning, it's a little adult (The Magnificent 7 has some adult themes which may offends some, my wife doesn't like watching the movie as it's too violent and a few of the adult themes) and it shows a lot of violence.

Sometimes, at least with the original trilogy, what I think people like about Star Wars is that it's basically a Western in Space, but instead of an expert sheriff gunman or marshall, you have a Jedi...and instead of a master horseman you have the Han Solo/Lando Calrissions(sp?) (who just happen to be the gamblers as well).

I suppose, from what I've seen of this new Trilogy, they are trying the same thing (as I said, it seemed to basically be a repeat of the first movie but with new Characters in this new series they are coming out with).  I didn't really care for the prequel trilogy Lucas made, though the last one (Revenge of Kathleen Kennedy-jk) wasn't bad.  I think part of it may be (beyond what seemed to be really bad writing at times) was getting away from the entire theme that westerns (and the original Star Wars) revolved around. 

What would have really made the Prequels really awesome is if they had redone the Magnificent Seven in the prequels, where Obi Wan was one of the three survivors (along with Yoda of course), and they had a showdown of sorts where the other Jedi get killed trying to prompt the rest of the city/town to rise up and defend themselves.

I wonder if Mormons are a little more hardcore and crazy about Star Wars then the rest of the world (sort of like Newsies...Mormons seem to rave about the film and musical, but almost no one outside of Utah or other heavily Mormon areas even remember it!).

I used to really like Star Wars, especially as a child.  I still like it, but have recently determined (within the past 5 years) that I like Star Trek better, and think the movies have more interesting story lines.  However, using the force is kind of like having superpowers, and I thoroughly enjoy most shows/movies involving supernatural powers.

I do think that the Rogue One film was pretty much better than any of the others that have been produced.  I think Disney is going to end up doing a better job with Star Wars than George Lucas ever did.

I actually really enjoy star wars!  It is good clean fun for the entire family with a compelling universe that sparks off deep thought about moral choices.  Star trek too, although the original Star trek episodes are valuable in addition for being a historical piece of art, similar to "gone with the wind" and "citizen Kane". 

I would much, much rather go to a star wars movie than the latest in the neverending line of lame superhero movies (though admittedly I absolutely love the old Tim burton batman movies as well as the dark Knight).  

Then again, I don't get the appeal in sports at all (and yes I am a male), so I could sympathize with someone who doesn't get star wars, even if I personally really enjoy it.

Edited by DoctorLemon

Episodes 1-3 sucked.  Episodes 4-6 are classics.  The Force Awakens was really good.  So was Rouge One.  I anticipate The Last Jedi will be really good too.  We have a large group who goes and sees them together.  Last year for Rouge One we had 72 attendees.  This year 100.  I like Star Wars.  That said, Star Trek is better.  Except that garbage known as Deep Space Nine.

Just now, mirkwood said:

Episodes 1-3 sucked.  Episodes 4-6 are classics.  The Force Awakens was really good.  So was Rouge One.  I anticipate The Last Jedi will be really good too.  We have a large group who goes and sees them together.  Last year for Rouge One we had 72 attendees.  This year 100.  I like Star Wars.  That said, Star Trek is better.  Except that garbage known as Deep Space Nine.

So, who has better hair?  Patrick Stewart or Avery Brooks?

Guest MormonGator
8 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

Then again, I don't get the appeal in sports at all (and yes I am a male), so I could sympathize with someone who doesn't get star wars, even if I personally really enjoy it.

I once got into a roaring debate with a guy who absolutely loved Star Trek but thought that Star Wars fans were "losers". He simply could not grasp that the fans of the two are basically the same people. 

For me? My dog is named after a character in the expanded universe (Jaina) and I have the Rebel Alliance logo tattooed on my left thigh. So yeah, bit of a fan. 

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, slamjet said:

In my eyes, you have reached all kinds of levels of coolness!

If you think I'm cool, I'd hate to see the uncool. 

but thank you! 

Edited by MormonGator

Guest Godless
1 hour ago, person0 said:

I do think that the Rogue One film was pretty much better than any of the others that have been produced.  I think Disney is going to end up doing a better job with Star Wars than George Lucas ever did.

I agree with this completely. I enjoyed Force Awakens more than the prequels and less than the original trilogy, but Rogue One leaves them all in the dust. That said, I look forward to seeing what Disney does with the rest of the story. 

I remember when I was about 7 or 8 years old, I used to be a huge fan of the 80s War of the Worlds TV show (which no one remembers these days) and I used to watch it every week, religiously.  It was my version of star wars, until my mother made me stop watching it, claiming it was "too violent" and "pure garbage".  (After seeing some of the reruns, I am inclined to agree with her!)

15 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

my mother made me stop watching it, claiming it was "too violent" and "pure garbage".

Hah-  my folks did the same thing back in the 80s to me but only with "V". I would still sneak down stairs and watch it behind the couch until I finally got caught. Good while it lasted!

c2f451c546bef3a7c8b1470d09dd53d4--serie-tv-tv-series.jpg.356ba66931f6bf13a6928747b0917a7c.jpg

Universe building.  Every new show that comes down the road gets to build it's own universe, and has complete control over the contents of the universe and laws that govern it.

With StarWars, the universe we were presented called to all the creative types.  How the force works, different concepts of good and evil, the richness of a peopled universe and how the actions of a special few changes the status quo.

In the case of StarWars, you have to understand the fans' brains have added more richness and cooltude than we ever saw on the screen.  If Lucas has a legacy, it's that he created something that allowed the fans to look past all the crap he showed us and fill in the rest with our own stuff that fit perfectly.

Also, Brian Kesinger.
Calvin-Hobbes-Star-Wars-Drawings-Brian-Kesinger