Christmas present advice for returning missionary

JonJonTheBossatron

Hi guys! So my brother is returning from his mission to South America in a few weeks and I was wondering what I could get him that would be meaningful. I don’t want to ask him during emailing time because he will just say “anything is fine”. I was thinking doing something home-made and something around $15 dollars. Any suggestions?

Welcome, @JonJonTheBossatron! :)  I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but it would probably help us if you told us a little about what your brother likes.  Also, if it's going to be home-made, what skills or talents do you have for making something (e.g. are we talking woodworking or painting a picture or ....?).

I've always thought small boxes or trays into which to empty your pockets were nice.  The wood for one of those wouldn't be expensive.

I will say this - when I got back from my mission I couldn't wait to catch up on two years worth of music I missed!  I think a new pair of headphones and a copy of the Beastie Boys "To the Five Burroughs" (which came out the week I got back) were just about the best presents I could have received.

Moral of the story - don't over think it, he probably likes the same stuff he liked beforehand.

Edited by DoctorLemon

28 minutes ago, JonJonTheBossatron said:

Hi guys! So my brother is returning from his mission to South America in a few weeks and I was wondering what I could get him that would be meaningful. I don’t want to ask him during emailing time because he will just say “anything is fine”. I was thinking doing something home-made and something around $15 dollars. Any suggestions?

61ja+-fQifL._SX391_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The hardback is under $15 shipped. Love your brother enough not to subject his future fiancée to the humiliation and mockery of her peers:

19533630_318604145245628_341339367760147

26 minutes ago, Vort said:

61ja+-fQifL._SX391_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The hardback is under $15 shipped. Love your brother enough not to subject his future fiancée to the humiliation and mockery of her peers:

19533630_318604145245628_341339367760147

This might be better advice than anyone realizes.  My oldest brother, the one who's married and has kids, started his career as a welder.  I think he might recommend you start with oxy-acetylene welding, but what do I know?  (Of course, the other brother has a muscle disease, and I'm just generally unlikable, so that might explain why the eldest is the only one with a spouse and kids, but why chance it?  Be safe!  Learn to weld!)

Edited by zil

3 hours ago, JonJonTheBossatron said:

Spotify account

it really depends. I appreciated a journal a friend gave me, I was SO excited for music. But I have another friend that never wanted to keep a journal again.  I have a friend that never wanted to listen to music. My wife felt guilty listening to music for probably a year after her mission. I didn’t play a video game for about 3 months but my friend swan dived back into them.

1 hour ago, Fether said:

Spotify account

it really depends. I appreciated a journal a friend gave me, I was SO excited for music. But I have another friend that never wanted to keep a journal again.  I have a friend that never wanted to listen to music. My wife felt guilty listening to music for probably a year after her mission. I didn’t play a video game for about 3 months but my friend swan dived back into them.

Day 1 back from my mission: woke up at 6:30, read half an hour of scriptures, spent the next six hours playing perfect dark and listening to heavy metal.  Not a shred of guilt!

Edited by DoctorLemon

20 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

Day 1 back from my mission: woke up at 6:30, read half an hour of scriptures, spent the next six hours playing perfect dark and listening to heavy metal.  Not a shred of guilt!

Lucky you. I woke up at 3:30 b/c of the time change and I was waking up at 5:30 for extra exercise and study on my mission xD

I literally had no desire to play. I kept thinking “I sure did like Skyrim and Total war 2 years ago... I should go play!... nah... I’d much rather take 5 Institute classes.” No joke

But I did blast All That Remains and Silverstein for a few days xD

Edited by Fether

1 hour ago, Fether said:

Lucky you. I woke up at 3:30 b/c of the time change and I was waking up at 5:30 for extra exercise and study on my mission xD

I literally had no desire to play. I kept thinking “I sure did like Skyrim and Total war 2 years ago... I should go play!... nah... I’d much rather take 5 Institute classes.” No joke

But I did blast All That Remains and Silverstein for a few days xD

I understand that some people have a difficult time transitioning out of their mission service, and that some people really miss their missions.  However, frankly that was not me.  I tried hard on my mission and tried to do the right thing, but I was never very good at it and found it to be exceptionally difficult.  And why not?  In high school I was so introverted and shy I could never talk with girls long enough to get them to go on dates with me, so of course teaching the gospel to strangers in another language posed an almost superhuman challenge for me personally.  (And I was in a low success European mission where you talked with strangers all day and did little else).  I felt a huge sense of relief at the end of my mission and frankly had no problems jumping right back into normal life again.  I am glad I did it for the Lord and I know I made the right choice in going, but frankly I am glad it is over and have never felt "mission nostalgia".

3 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

I understand that some people have a difficult time transitioning out of their mission service, and that some people really miss their missions.  However, frankly that was not me.  I tried hard on my mission and tried to do the right thing, but I was never very good at it and found it to be exceptionally difficult.  And why not?  In high school I was so introverted and shy I could never talk with girls long enough to get them to go on dates with me, so of course teaching the gospel to strangers in another language posed an almost superhuman challenge for me personally.  (And I was in a low success European mission where you talked with strangers all day and did little else).  I felt a huge sense of relief at the end of my mission and frankly had no problems jumping right back into normal life again.  I am glad I did it for the Lord and I know I made the right choice in going, but frankly I am glad it is over and have never felt "mission nostalgia".

I was (and some what still am) a clean cut peter priesthood. But I definitely knew that the mission was not alone going to get me exaltation. My goal isn’t to be a missionary, my goal is exaltation ;). I was excited to go home, not because I didn’t love my mission, but because I loved what was coming! A year and a half later here I am. Married, kid on the way, got a sweet carrier path, some sweet callings, temple just 5 minutes away.

3 minutes ago, Fether said:

I was (and some what still am) a clean cut peter priesthood. But I definitely knew that the mission was not alone going to get me exaltation. My goal isn’t to be a missionary, my goal is exaltation ;). I was excited to go home, not because I didn’t love my mission, but because I loved what was coming! A year and a half later here I am. Married, kid on the way, got a sweet carrier path, some sweet callings, temple just 5 minutes away.

I think one of the things I realized is that being a good member and being a good missionary are totally different things, even if we are all called to make efforts towards missionary work.  I was a pretty terrible missionary due to not having the right personality, but in my post mission life I am good at living the gospel - I didn't let my bad mission experience affect my testimony.  By the same token, some of the leaders in my mission who were very skilled and successful missionaries came home, partied, got girls pregnant outside of marriage and even went to jail on drug charges.

On 12/11/2017 at 2:04 PM, zil said:

Welcome, @JonJonTheBossatron! :)  I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but it would probably help us if you told us a little about what your brother likes.  Also, if it's going to be home-made, what skills or talents do you have for making something (e.g. are we talking woodworking or painting a picture or ....?).

I've always thought small boxes or trays into which to empty your pockets were nice.  The wood for one of those wouldn't be expensive.

Thanks! Sorry I took so long to respond, I was out of town. 

He (at least before he left) like superheroes, was a huge Lakers fan, loved sports, and played football. I may be able to make him something for his room out of wood (I not bad at woodwork). Thanks again!

On 12/11/2017 at 3:47 PM, JonJonTheBossatron said:

Hi guys! So my brother is returning from his mission to South America in a few weeks and I was wondering what I could get him that would be meaningful.

Condoms and a fake ID for the Rumschpringe.

Oh wait...did I get religions mixed up again?