Is Transgenderism in Adolescents Really Gender Dysphoria

prisonchaplain

I've often wondered if transgender is a politicized label for those suffering gender dysphoria, who've decided to transition rather than cope. Dr. Michelle Critella, President of the American College of Pediatricians, seems to think so.  https://www.acpeds.org  (see their position papers on sexual identity issues) Is she and her organization on to something, or are they really just a hate group all doctored up? 

Edited by prisonchaplain

Transitioning is probably perceived by the individual as correcting, or making right. Coping would be actions taken to learn to live with the sense of disconnect between one's biological gender and one's feelings of being otherwise. The DSM-V still has several suggestions, short of gender-reassignment surgery, for helping clients suffering gender dysphoria.

Guest Godless
47 minutes ago, prisonchaplain said:

I've often wondered if transgender is a politicized label for those suffering gender dysphoria, who've decided to transition rather than cope. Dr. Michelle Critella, President of the American College of Pediatricians, seems to think so.  http://www.acpeds.org  (see their position papers on sexual identity issues) Is she and her organization on to something, or are they really just a hate group all doctored up? 

Your link doesn't work. But yes, transgenderism goes hand-in-hand with gender disphoria. It's important to note that many people who suffer from gender dysphoria, including those who decide to transition, spend years trying to reconcile their sex (biological assignment) with their gender (mental/psychological assignment). It's common for those individuals to go to great lengths to adhere to their sex, even though they may be mentally and emotionally uncomfortable with doing so. The suicide/attemtped suicide rate among gender dysphoric individuals is catastrophic. Many of them reach a breaking point, at which point they become transgender in addition to being gender dysphoric. The stories I've heard and read from transgender individuals are absolutely heartbreaking. I can't fathom spending every day of my life hating my physiology. So yes, transgenderism is a coping mechanism for those with gender dysphoria. 

As we think about these terms, let's keep in mind some of our kids are being taught to just adopt and go with whatever term they feel like applies to them at any given moment.   So if we're talking legit medical diagnoses here, that's one thing.  If we're talking about all the tons of people who currently self-identify as 'x', and we're wondering if they in reality are 'y', then I'd suggest they might just be normal males or females with nothing gender-spectrum-unique about them at all, other than they've bought into notions and redefined words. 

The link gets you to the site...or should. You'd then have to look for position papers, and then for sexuality. I'm not sure why cutting and pasting no longer works, and typing out the full link didn't either. When I click the link I get a page that says I the page I was looking for could not be found. Yet, it is the American College of Pediatricians site, and the menu links work.

As for transgenderism being a coping mechanism, my frustration is that the science still seems to be out, yet the political and sociological pressures are so strong that those who disagree, such as Dr. Critella, as well as John Hopkins University Hospital (which discontinued providing sex-reassignment surgery due to the extremely high suicide rates that followed, as well as the high rate of returned gender dysphoria 10-years out) get labeled as haters, anti-LGBT, etc.  

I'm not sure what I think about transgendered individuals.  In my aspect of a male in regards to those who are male and claim to be transgendered...

I will say the common excuse I hear makes absolutely no sense.  A boy claims that they feel like a girl 

Oh...REALLY!!?

And how exactly do they know this?  Why do they think they know what a girl feels like?  It seems to me, if you are a boy, you know what a boy feels like.  You may think feeling like a boy feels like a girl...but since you are a BOY to begin with...how in the world do you even begin to know what a girl feels like.  How do you even know if it is even any different?

Just because one may say they like wearing dresses or enjoy the color pink, or any other ridiculous and stereotypical reason (which in truth, probably are VERY insulting to those who really ARE girls) does NOT mean one feels like a girl one bit.  There are plenty of girls who hate the color pink and hate to wear dresses.  Stereotypes do NOT define whether one is a boy or a girl.

Now, I am actually open to the idea of someone actually being transgendered...what I am NOT open to are ridiculous stereotypes that put down REAL women to try to make some ridiculous and unprovable idea that this man feels like a woman. 

However, if there really are those that feel that way, and an operation is a way to help them cope...it's their body...let them do it...but let them be HONEST with themselves and with others.  These individuals will NOT have menstrual cycles and will never experience that.  There are many other things that they will not experience as woman who are born as women do. 

Now, it is not universal, but many women feel like my wife does.  They do NOT want someone who is still a male but dressed as a female in the same restroom as they are in.  It makes them feel unsafe. 

NOW...any transgendered individual who was a man claiming to be a woman who cannot understand this fear...I'll tell you right now...I have STRONG DOUBTS that this individual has any CLUE what it feels like to be a woman AT ALL.  Any claim they have in that arena is an absolute LIE in my opinion...because if they did, they'd understand the objections women have to such individuals going into the restroom.

That said, I am open to the idea that there are individual that suffer from this thing...whether it is called Gender Disphoria, or if it is something else.  I think that the Lord made us male and female and that in the eternities, what we are born as here are what we will be there.  In this life though, we are free to make choices.  If someone is suffering from certain things, and doing such acts will make them suffer less, than I could be convinced it may be a good thing.  However, I need GOOD reasons and GOOD excuses, rather than things that show that the individuals obviously do NOT understand the very gender that they are claiming they are supposed to be.

1 hour ago, prisonchaplain said:

Transitioning is probably perceived by the individual as correcting, or making right. Coping would be actions taken to learn to live with the sense of disconnect between one's biological gender and one's feelings of being otherwise. The DSM-V still has several suggestions, short of gender-reassignment surgery, for helping clients suffering gender dysphoria.

Depends on the state of mind of the individual.  Blaire White, for example, is a very well adjusted transgender and she considers her transitioning as her best option to cope with her dysphoria.  She does't recommend it to everybody in that condition.  She doesn't believe that just because she went through the surgery that it changed her to a woman.  It simply changed her "appearance" and not her biology making it easier for her to support her choice of living life as a woman.  And yes, she changed her birth certificate too but that still didn't make her a woman.  And yes, she also believes there are only 2 genders.

I just went to lds.org and searched transgender. An article came up in which Elder M. Russell Ballard, of the Quorum of the Twelve, indicated that transsexual operation would be a serious sin that could result in formal church discipline. My church also has an official position that the physical gender of one's birth is God's will. So, am I missing something, or would the counsel of the church be to resist the temptation to seek out and undergo a gender-reassignment surgery (I'm assuming this is the same as a transsexual surgery)? 

Guest MormonGator
19 minutes ago, prisonchaplain said:

So, am I missing something, or would the counsel of the church be to resist the temptation to seek out and undergo a gender-reassignment surgery (I'm assuming this is the same as a transsexual surgery)? 

Let's ask @mirkwood-he went by Julie for a few years. @mirkwood

Edited by MormonGator

This is an interesting infographic on all the things that can go on in a human besides normal male/female things.

The infographic was put together by people with an agenda, there's nonscientific propaganda in the text across the top, and it downplays to the point of absurdity the relative numbers of people who fall in each category.  I believe if you twisted the arms of the people who made the graphic, they'd be forced to admit that pretty much 99.n% of the human race falls into the typical biological male or female categories.  

But it's still an interesting infographic.

GenderDiversityChart.png

Edited by NeuroTypical

14 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

This is an interesting infographic on all the things that can go on in a human besides normal male/female things.

The infographic was put together by people with an agenda, there's nonscientific propaganda in the text across the top, and it downplays to the point of absurdity the relative numbers of people who fall in each category.  I believe if you twisted the arms of the people who made the graphic, they'd be forced to admit that pretty much 99.n% of the human race falls into the typical biological male or female categories.  

But it's still an interesting infographic.

GenderDiversityChart.png

Yes, this graphic is good. I'd like to get a larger print out of it. Scientific American huh. Sept 2017. I might order this issue so I can refer to it.

I'm sick of 'identifying with' being mixed up with gender identity- I can identify with the aboriginal Australians for example but that is not my identity.

I was taught/trained to understand the word sex to refer to the physical characteristics and gender to refer to the more personality-ish characteristics, and also to understand that the only real relationship between the two is that men are more likely to be masculine and women are more likely to be feminine. Now when I read about trans people, because of the vocabulary used it almost always sounds to me like people are saying, "I am nurturing and sensitive and enjoy baking. Therefore, I must be a woman."

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

I'm a billionaire.  Somebody is in serious trouble for draining my bank account...looks suspiciously at @MormonGator.

image.png

I am much more likely to believe that you were born a woman than you were ever a billionaire

5 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

I've often wondered if transgender is a politicized label for those suffering gender dysphoria, who've decided to transition rather than cope. Dr. Michelle Critella, President of the American College of Pediatricians, seems to think so.  https://www.acpeds.org  (see their position papers on sexual identity issues) Is she and her organization on to something, or are they really just a hate group all doctored up? 

i think a lot of people use the term 'transgender' to describe gender dysphoria coupled with a socially disruptive demeanor and very brazen sexual lifestyle.   It's easier to toss everyone who believes their soul does not match the gender of their body into one giant room and stick a sign that says 'Warning, Keep Out!  Dirty, Evil, Malicious, Transgender People Inside' on it.  Certainly understandable, but sad nonetheless.

Gender dysphoria as you've described it seems like their attempt at separating an assumed lifestyle with the actual feelings of conflict.

Guest MormonGator
9 minutes ago, lostinwater said:

i think a lot of people use the term 'transgender' to describe gender dysphoria coupled with a socially disruptive demeanor and very brazen sexual lifestyle.   It's easier to toss everyone who believes their soul does not match the gender of their body into one giant room and stick a sign that says 'Warning, Keep Out!  Dirty, Evil, Malicious, Transgender People Inside' on it.  Certainly understandable, but sad nonetheless.

Gender dysphoria as you've described it seems like their attempt at separating an assumed lifestyle with the actual feelings of conflict.

Well said. My heart breaks for people dealing with gender/sexuality issues. It's so hard for them. I really wish more religious people showed a great understanding towards people struggling with those issues. 

3 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Well said. My heart breaks for people dealing with gender/sexuality issues. It's so hard for them. I really wish more religious people showed a great understanding towards people struggling with those issues. 

I can feel sympathy, and I can try to accommodate them, but when there is another option (a bathroom or changing room where they can be separated from others if they so choose), but insist on making my wife feel threatened or unsafe...that's about where I draw the line.

Perhaps I'm over protective, but when my wife is feeling unsafe or threatened, for some reason I'm going to take her side and not agree with the aggressors.

I don't have a problem saying perhaps they should have someplace safe to go (trans individuals have a higher percent of harassment and assault then many others), or to have a separate bathroom or changing room, and I can sympathize with that desire.  It's only when they insist on making others feel threatened or unsafe (whether it's a reality or not that they are actually threatened or unsafe, the fact that the FEEL threatened or unsafe is what is going to make my hackles rise) that I'm pretty much opposed to what they are pushing.

No one should have the right to force themselves onto another...and that includes emotionally in that aspect.  Some women may feel safe in those instances, but there issue is NOT so important as to override all women who may feel unsafe in these situations.

I admit, I am not a psychologist or psychiatrist, so I don't know all there is about transgendered individuals.  I am open to their ideas that they state, and can sympathize...right up until the point where they start their emotional assault on those that are family.  Yes, I'd go out of my way to protect my spouse...

I am for them having equal opportunities and not being judged in how hard they work or other areas just because of their choices.  They should have equal choices and opportunities...however...if they choose this path...and want to have a separate facility...let them.  But don't let them intimidate the women in our lives (for the most part, I think most men don't care who is using the restroom and many even try to ignore someone else is even there), especially when they are in locations where they feel their most vulnerable and exposed.

Other than that, I'm open to letting them have all the rights they desire (and as I said, I'm even think letting them have separate areas to change, use the restroom, etc. if they so desire is okay).

Please Note though:  As someone stated above this is NOT the opinion of the LDS church per se.  Those who have these feelings may be deeply disturbed in the LDS religion...and if they proceed with actual surgery, it is something that can put your church membership in jeopardy. 

14 hours ago, SilentOne said:

"I am nurturing and sensitive and enjoy baking. Therefore, I must be a woman."

Erm, I'm not nurturing or sensitive (depending, I guess, on what exactly that means), but I would enjoy baking if I had more free time.  Does that make me a wanna-be-1/3-woman?  Is there a square for that?  (I confess to not having read the infographic at all, and having no intent to unless someone buys me a wrap-around 6-foot monitor first.)