Actually Felt The Spirit

Since I have been investigating the LDS church, members (and you lot!) keep telling me that something will happen and I will feel the spirit and things will change.

As most of you know I like things to make sense, I like to study things and gain knowledge and understanding of truth that way.  I know that is not how most LDS members come to find the truth of the Book of Mormon.

Anyway, for all of you who know someone like me, PLEASE get them to read this very simple article currently featured on this website.

https://mormonhub.com/blog/faith/defending-the-faith/book-of-mormon-hoax/ 

I actually cried while reading it.  I don't know if I have a complete testimony for the church or all its teachings, but I know one thing.

Joseph Smith was a prophet of God and the Book of Mormon is true.

Thank you all so much for helping (and putting up with) me.  I feel very happy and full of hope.

Now I just have to save my husband!

:D I cannot tell you how happy I am for you that you've had this experience.  Now that you've had one such experience, you can combine them (heart and mind, feeling and understanding the Spirit) and it will be much easier, I think.

11 minutes ago, Blossom76 said:

Just don't lose sight of the fact that Christ already did this.  Love your husband.  Don't get frustrated or impatient.  Just as you needed (and will continue to need) just the right experience with just the right people at just the right time, so will he.  Help him to have those experiences and meet those people.

18 minutes ago, zil said:

:D I cannot tell you how happy I am for you that you've had this experience.  Now that you've had one such experience, you can combine them (heart and mind, feeling and understanding the Spirit) and it will be much easier, I think.

Just don't lose sight of the fact that Christ already did this.  Love your husband.  Don't get frustrated or impatient.  Just as you needed (and will continue to need) just the right experience with just the right people at just the right time, so will he.  Help him to have those experiences and meet those people.

Thank you, and you are right, I will be patient with him, I just want everyone in the whole world to feel and know what I know now.  It's the most peaceful feeling I've ever had, everyone should feel like this.

And, I don't know why, but I had the thought to recommend this talk to you:

https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/todd-b-parker_true-doctrine-understood-changes-attitudes-behavior/

There's a play button at the top which I recommend - sometimes it doesn't matter, but I think this one is particularly good *watched* - especially toward the end, "Principle Number 4: During Scripture Study, Search for Types of Christ" - that section is one of the most powerful testimonies of the reality of Christ I have ever heard - I suppose it's kind of like the article you linked in that it provides a staggering amount of evidence testifying of Christ - and the way he presents it in the video enhances the words.

(This is a devotional delivered to college students - which explains some of the humor in the talk.)

1 minute ago, Blossom76 said:

Thank you, and you are right, I will be patient with him, I just want everyone in the whole world to feel and know what I know now.  It's the most peaceful feeling I've ever had, everyone should feel like this.

Now you know what so many of us feel - and why we send out tens of thousands of missionaries. :)

That's the best news I could have this morning @Blossom76 ! I'm so happy you received a witness of Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon. That knowledge has made so much difference in my life, and brought me closer to God because it shows me that God still loves us enough to speak to us. Remember to give your husband time, patience, and love because it can take some longer than others to receive the witness of the Holy Ghost like you have. 

Congrats @Blossom76

Many people look at us as if we are crazy to believe on a "Feeling."   But now you have felt it for yourself and you know we are not crazy and that it is so much more then "Just a Feeling".

That being said when we get these feeling and impressions we need to act on them, we need to nurture them.. We need to show God that we accept this wonderful gift he had given us.  If we choose to reject or neglect it... it will go away.

16 hours ago, Blossom76 said:

Since I have been investigating the LDS church, members (and you lot!) keep telling me that something will happen and I will feel the spirit and things will change.

As most of you know I like things to make sense, I like to study things and gain knowledge and understanding of truth that way.  I know that is not how most LDS members come to find the truth of the Book of Mormon.

Anyway, for all of you who know someone like me, PLEASE get them to read this very simple article currently featured on this website.

I actually cried while reading it.  I don't know if I have a complete testimony for the church or all its teachings, but I know one thing.

Thank you all so much for helping (and putting up with) me.  I feel very happy and full of hope.

Congratulations!

Although no "proof" can replace the feelings of the Spirit testifying to you that something is true, the Book of Mormon certainly contains a lot of proof for those willing to look for it.  Some of it was touched on by the article.  Others include the presence of complex Chiasmus in the Book of Mormon (a very complex Hebrew poetry form present in the Bible and discovered within the last 100 years, that is all over the Book of Mormon), hebraisms (names and words in the Book of Mormon with Hebrew roots, Book of Mormon grammar that is consistent with a work translated from semitic language), and wordprint studies (computer analysis of authorship styles revealing that, however one believes the Book of Mormon originated, it was definitely written by multiple people, none of whose writing styles matched Joseph Smith's writing style).  Moreover, Lehi's journey through Arabia geographically corresponds exactly with an actual journey through Arabia (this would be like me making up a story about travelling across Madagascar and getting it right without internet or other sources to help me research the geography).

Edited by DoctorLemon

16 hours ago, Blossom76 said:

I just want you to know that this is exactly right.  You do need to study, gain knowledge and understanding.  And then as you ponder and pray, God confirms what you have learned.  

Congrats!

6 hours ago, estradling75 said:

Congrats @Blossom76

Many people look at us as if we are crazy to believe on a "Feeling."   But now you have felt it for yourself and you know we are not crazy and that it is so much more then "Just a Feeling".

That being said when we get these feeling and impressions we need to act on them, we need to nurture them.. We need to show God that we accept this wonderful gift he had given us.  If we choose to reject or neglect it... it will go away.

I won't neglect it, there is no way I want this to go away :) 

On 12/15/2017 at 10:00 PM, Blossom76 said:

There is a special spirit found with the story of Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon.  Some of my most profound spiritual moments have come from hearing or sharing his story.  To me it's as though its a special spirit reserved just for those with open hearts to know the truth exists in it's fullness, and nobody can claim it other than those who have partaken of the message of the restoration.

I think I find it understandable how those not of our faith think we put our faith in Joseph Smith but as a member I think I relate so much to him 1 because of the spirit that is felt when hearing the message and 2. because of his ability to do so much for the Lord despite his many weaknesses.   In the end I think we get a glimpse of God's love through the restoration but can promise you that you will have many more opportunities for these experiences as you move forward in the kingdom.  What great experiences you have ahead of you!