Hello from the Mile High City!

Kenvincible

Hello Brothers and Sisters,

I've been searching for a proper Latter Day Saint forum where I can connect with other members of the church! I want to be a blessing to folks here by maybe being honest with my opinions, and offering friendship and prayer. I am the husband of the most excellent wife in the world, and I love my church so much. For work, i help senior citizens and developmentally disabled Americans, and I'm also an avid author, and philanthropist helping the inner city learn about Genealogy! I look forward to getting to know you all!

Kenneth

13 hours ago, Kenvincible said:

I am the husband of the most excellent wife in the world

You have the most excellent wife in the world?  I have the most wonderful wife in the world.  Fancy that.  I haven't seen you at the meetings.

You guys have cracked me up hard, thank's Vort and Carborendum! To everyone else thank you for your replies and making me feel welcome. I know even more that this is the forum i've been looking for! @Jane_Doe if your ever interested in volunteering some time to mentor some inner-city kids learning genealogy please let me knnow!

24 minutes ago, Kenvincible said:

You guys have cracked me up hard, thank's Vort and Carborendum! To everyone else thank you for your replies and making me feel welcome. I know even more that this is the forum i've been looking for! @Jane_Doe if your ever interested in volunteering some time to mentor some inner-city kids learning genealogy please let me knnow!

That would be absolutely kick butt!  However, I'm now in WY, so that center has dibs on me first. 

18 hours ago, Kenvincible said:

Hello Brothers and Sisters,

I've been searching for a proper Latter Day Saint forum where I can connect with other members of the church! I want to be a blessing to folks here by maybe being honest with my opinions, and offering friendship and prayer. I am the husband of the most excellent wife in the world, and I love my church so much. For work, i help senior citizens and developmentally disabled Americans, and I'm also an avid author, and philanthropist helping the inner city learn about Genealogy! I look forward to getting to know you all!

Kenneth

I get that LDS do genealogy so they can offer baptism to ancestors,  but what's the draw for us non-members? I'm fearful of the criminal elements I might unearth. 

5 minutes ago, prisonchaplain said:

I'm fearful of the criminal elements I might unearth. 

As in, you are descended from pirates and outlaws?  Or criminals will steal your identity?  (If the former - that's more fun; if the latter - I've never heard of identity theft via ancestors.  Pretty sure they're focused on other avenues.)

As for the draw - well, there are lots of people besides Mormons doing genealogy.  You'd have to ask them why.  Of the ones whose stories I've heard, they don't know why, they just feel almost compelled to do it.  I attribute it to the spirit of Elijah, but don't expect anyone but Mormons to buy that.

29 minutes ago, prisonchaplain said:

I get that LDS do genealogy so they can offer baptism to ancestors,  but what's the draw for us non-members? I'm fearful of the criminal elements I might unearth. 

There are people who become passionate about fountain pens, there are crazy chicken ladies, and there are people who have caught the genealogy bug.  It's a passion that grabs some folks.

The genealogy of my family is all done by my non-LDS half-sister, who used to make trips to SLC just to go to "that mormon family library building" before computers.  

Addictions like this span all religious boundaries:
genealogy.jpg.28c5e43d680eb387fee5e478eeb87f38.jpg

Edited by NeuroTypical

50 minutes ago, prisonchaplain said:

My grandma has an ancestor that was a native American, who died because a white man shot her.  That white man is my grandpa's ancestor.

Such is simply part of family history. :)

Your talking to a cousin of Clyde Champion Barrow, THE Clyde of Bonnie and Clyde. Am i proud of what he's done, NO! But it is a part of my family history and i think makes it flavorful, i mean all of my ancestors could not have been English lords, Scottish Kings (Robert the Bruce) and African Slaves here in America! @prisonchaplain learning about my family history has acted as a huge motivator to carry that torch and try to do greater works than my family have done, thereby honoring their name!

Welcome @Kenvincible

@prisonchaplain some of the non-LDS people I know who do genealogy do it because it helps them feel connected to people or to learn more about why they might be the way they are. These are evidences of what Mormons call "the spirit of Elijah," which is "to turn the hearts of the children to the fathers and the hearts of the fathers to the children." There are also a few who like the puzzle aspect of it.

4 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

Oh... I see what you did.  :)

Welcome!

On 12/16/2017 at 8:47 PM, Kenvincible said:

Your talking to a cousin of Clyde Champion Barrow, THE Clyde of Bonnie and Clyde. Am i proud of what he's done, NO! But it is a part of my family history and i think makes it flavorful, i mean all of my ancestors could not have been English lords, Scottish Kings (Robert the Bruce) and African Slaves here in America! @prisonchaplain learning about my family history has acted as a huge motivator to carry that torch and try to do greater works than my family have done, thereby honoring their name!

I'll see your Clyde and raise you the guy who killed Magellan.  Yep, family ancestor of mine.

I'm headed to your neck of the woods this Christmas.  Spending some time with some people over there in Highland Ranch.