This is why people leave

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, pwrfrk said:

So much the church does with a mere 10% and volunteers that groups like the Red Cross can't even compete.

Slow down a minute. The Red Cross does a HUGE amount of good for society. The church is great, don't get me wrong, but the Red Cross is the greatest charity group in the world. 

On 12/17/2017 at 10:27 AM, dahlia said:

So, my name (misspelled) showed up in the bulletin for the 3rd time to help clean the church. I did it the first time, but not the 2nd. As it turns out, the brother in charge of cleaning schedules was standing in the foyer. To be polite, I told him I wasn't going to come. He asked me, "Can you explain?"  What? OK, fine. I did it once. That's my commitment. I have to take an arthritis med before and after I do that assignment and I just don't feel like bringing on pain in order to clean the church. 

I walk toward the door, and I'm so hot I turn around and go back. "I've already done it once, "I repeated. Then he says he's done it four times. I am supposed to be shamed into compliance? Did he expect me just to roll over and say I'll show up? I'm 64. I don't need to explain myself to some white man about why I do or don't do something. 

No one told me I'd have to be a maid to the Church when I joined. And people wonder why folks become less active.

I can relate to this, and the posts you made after this, although I did not read every single response. I do strongly feel there is a lot of misogyny and white privilege within the church, much of which isn't even realised, and when brought to attention, is brushed off and suddenly you're the one overreacting. I'm sorry you experienced this.

Bruh, Dahlia, You sound kind of racist in your post. If you feel HE was being racist then tell your Pastor. I've cleaned church houses before and it was whatever. If they are relying on you that must mean you are good at what you do and actually show up when scheduled. If you don't want to do it then DON'T.  Just because someone is your leader or in this case the coordinator doesn't mean they always make the 100% best decisions. (only two people, I know of, that were perfect and or blameless were Job and Jesus) So tell Mr. Bro-Man you can't/don't want to clean the church building anymore. Just find something else to do in ANY capacity, even as simple as greeting people when they come in to sermon. 

Best Wishes

3 hours ago, unixknight said:

Still hoping someone will address this.

It's not relevant, but it's become avant garde.  You see only whites can be racists and until you learn that fact you'll be left behind in today's modern society.

As a Canadian professor put it racism is where power and skin color intersect.  Only whites can be racists because society is run by white males and therefore only whites have political power and only whites can be racist.

If this sounds a little looney, well it is b/c it is looney but it is what is now being taught as avant garde in Universities . . .welcome to the future!

Edited by dellme

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, dellme said:

It's not relevant, but it's become avant garde.  You see only whites can be racists and until you learn that fact you'll be left behind in today's modern society.

As a Canadian professor put it racism is where power and skin color intersect.  Only whites can be racists because society if run by white males and therefore only white have political power and only whites can be racist.

If this sounds a little looney, well it is b/c it is looney but it is what is now being taught as avant garde in Universities . . .welcome to the future!

The girl I dated before LG was African American. We'd have long, in depth talks about race and one of the many things we agreed on was that hate is hate-white people can hate, Asian people can hate, African Americans can hate.  It's the human condition sadly. 

Edited by MormonGator

11 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

The girl I dated before LG was African American. We'd have long, in depth talks about race and one of the many things we agreed on was that hate is hate-white people can hate, Asian people can hate, African Americans can hate.  It's the human condition sadly. 

100% agree-but that's not what is being taught to the rising generation.

Just now, MormonGator said:

Yup. Very sad. 

It is very, very sad b/c what will happen (regardless of whether you and I agree with it) is that it will fuel more and more people going hard-core alt-right.  

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/05/kendrick-lamar-white-fan-n-word-watch/

Rapper writes lyrics that have horrible words in them.  Rapper invites white person on stage.  White person sings the song-just like anyone would do if they are on stage with a rapper that you've paid to see.  Rapper and crowd berates white person for saying taboo words that are taboo only for white people. There is a scene from Gran Torino that comes to mind . . .

Alt-right just an inevitable consequence of the current path and it won't be pretty and I wish we would just go back to the idea that hate is hate . . .that'd be nice.

33 minutes ago, dellme said:

As a Canadian professor put it racism is where power and skin color intersect.  Only whites can be racists because society is run by white males and therefore only whites have political power and only whites can be racist.

I assume you're talking about Jordan Peterson, and yep, the guy's a genius.

I know all of that, but I'm calling it out because it needs to be called out.  If someone had posted an identical original post but used the word "black" instead of "white" they'd have been called a racist.  The double standard needs to end.

Edited by unixknight

On 5/25/2018 at 7:46 PM, Bini said:

I can relate to this, and the posts you made after this, although I did not read every single response. I do strongly feel there is a lot of misogyny and white privilege within the church, much of which isn't even realised, and when brought to attention, is brushed off and suddenly you're the one overreacting. I'm sorry you experienced this.

So we went from one person being inconsiderate and perhaps clueless to a wide accusation of racism and sexism over it.  This post makes precisely zero sense, but the SJW buzzwords are certainly in place.

10 minutes ago, unixknight said:

I assume you're talking about Jordan Peterson, and yep, the guy's a genius.

I know all of that, but I'm calling it out because it needs to be called out.  If someone had posted an identical original post but used the word "black" instead of "white" they'd have been called a racist.  The double standard needs to end.

Strangely enough not it was not Jordan Peterson, a different Canadian professor one who was giving a lecture on racism and I saw his lecture, a SJW type-surprising to say the least.

Edited by dellme

9 minutes ago, unixknight said:

So we went from one person being inconsiderate and perhaps clueless to a wide accusation of racism and sexism over it.  This post makes precisely zero sense, but the SJW buzzwords are certainly in place.

It's all in a framework or belief system, if you want to see ghosts everywhere you will see ghosts everywhere, real or imagined . . .

8 minutes ago, dellme said:

Strangely enough not it was not Jordan Peterson, a different Canadian professor one who was giving a lecture on racism and I saw his lecture, a SJW type-surprising to say the least.

Oh, ok.  I misunderstood what you meant.  I thought when you referred to that Canadian professor that he was being critical of the idea of that intersectionality, which is why I thought you were talking about Jordan Peterson because that's just the sort of thinking he would look to correct.

• 3 months later...

So, my name (misspelled) showed up in the bulletin for the 3rd time to help clean the church. I did it the first time, but not the 2nd. As it turns out, the brother in charge of cleaning schedules was standing in the foyer. To be polite, I told him I wasn't going to come. He asked me, "Can you explain?"  What? OK, fine. I did it once. That's my commitment. I have to take an arthritis med before and after I do that assignment and I just don't feel like bringing on pain in order to clean the church. 

I walk toward the door, and I'm so hot I turn around and go back. "I've already done it once, "I repeated. Then he says he's done it four times. I am supposed to be shamed into compliance? Did he expect me just to roll over and say I'll show up? I'm 64. I don't need to explain myself to some white man about why I do or don't do something. 

No one told me I'd have to be a maid to the Church when I joined. And people wonder why folks become less active.

ya he's being a bit too gung-ho. let your home teachers know, or barring that let the bishop know.  And ya that's something the younger folks should handle.

• 2 weeks later...

If you cannot do it, be direct about it and say so.  It is wrong to do what he did, clearly.  But when you leave the church, you benefit no one and certainly not yourself.  You do not go to church to be with him or others, but to worship God.  If anything, you are hurting yourself and your relationship with God.