Fountain pen frenzy thread

NeuroTypical

9 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Ok.  I ran out of ink, so decided to clean the pen.  After flushing a ton of water through it, here's how long it took to get the rest of the ink out:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=97d453c8dcb71c6cIMG_0866.thumb.JPG.af3f23c83255c50a99712a43d29a39ff.JPG

I then took a deep breath and tried to refill the ink well by hand with some of that fancy schmancy ink Zil sent me.  I think I used "Blythington's Wither-dithery Slightly-past-midnight" or some such thing.   

Once done, this was how long it took to flush the water out completely and get the ink flowing:

IMG_0867.thumb.JPG.ec1fffaa9a56c27fc12724292cbfc5cf.JPG

Then I re-capped everything, washed everything out, and gloried in my still stain-free hands.

Buncha weirdos. 

Sounds like you haven't yet completed the final step - disposing of the pen.

i thought all fountain pens were dead - in terms of usefulness, attractiveness, efficiency, desirability, appearance, utility, and just about every other way in which something can be dead. And as I suspect the resurrection only applies to living things, I'm delighted at the prospect that fountain pens won't be resurrected from their deadness. 

4 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

fp2.jpg

Given that (to the best of my knowledge) there's no such thing as a fountain pen made of of living matter, it seems like a no brainer to say that the only good fountain pen is a dead one.  The only bad fountain pen is also a dead one.  The only yellow fountain pen is a dead one.  Et cetera.  Et cetera.  Et cetera.

The poor abused pen above looks like a Jinhao (Chinese brand, sometimes surprisingly good, sometimes as crappy as their price suggests).

Fun fact - some fountain pens are made of vegetal resin - thus making them literally dead (as in, formerly alive, just not while in the form of a pen).

Maybe I'll write a short story about a living fountain pen, just for you.  I'll name it "Mirkpen".  Maybe he'll be a detective hot on the trail of ink smugglers.  Idea sent to the subconscious for further development.  Now if only I could find an interesting plot for the story of a sock, named Nōg, who travels to the Hozone - I already wrote the story of his arrival, but that's as far as I got.  I may need to find an illustrator.

8 minutes ago, zil said:

Given that (to the best of my knowledge) there's no such thing as a fountain pen made of of living matter, it seems like a no brainer to say that the only good fountain pen is a dead one.  The only bad fountain pen is also a dead one.  The only yellow fountain pen is a dead one.  Et cetera.  Et cetera.  Et cetera.

The poor abused pen above looks like a Jinhao (Chinese brand, sometimes surprisingly good, sometimes as crappy as their price suggests).

Fun fact - some fountain pens are made of vegetal resin - thus making them literally dead (as in, formerly alive, just not while in the form of a pen).

Maybe I'll write a short story about a living fountain pen, just for you.  I'll name it "Mirkpen".  Maybe he'll be a detective hot on the trail of ink smugglers.  Idea sent to the subconscious for further development.  Now if only I could find an interesting plot for the story of a sock, named Nōg, who travels to the Hozone - I already wrote the story of his arrival, but that's as far as I got.  I may need to find an illustrator.

Love the short story website that you directed us too!

8 hours ago, zil said:

My family was killed  by a living fountain pen! :(

cartoon-fountain-pen-character-vector-il

His eyes drip venomous hate and he stands, hipshot, with hand placed arrogantly on his hip. You can see the evil oozing from his black heart, dripping contemptuously from his tip as he plots your doom. MIRK WAS RIGHT!

Edited by FunkyTown

Guest LiterateParakeet
13 hours ago, askandanswer said:

i thought all fountain pens were dead - in terms of usefulness, attractiveness, efficiency, desirability, appearance, utility, and just about every other way in which something can be dead. And as I suspect the resurrection only applies to living things, I'm delighted at the prospect that fountain pens won't be resurrected from their deadness. 

Blasphemy!!!!!

• 3 months later...
32 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Some months after switching to fountain pens, I needed to write with a ballpoint.  But it wouldn't write.  Then I realized I had to grip it harder and push down hard to get the ball rolling.  It was one of the most unpleasant sensations.  I couldn't for the life of me figure out why anyone would do that to themselves - except for being entirely ignorant that there was another option.

IMO, if you write a lot, your hand and arm will thank you for using a fountain pen.  And if you can't stand that, try a ceramic ball pen with liquid ink.  (Kyocera make good ones.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/22/2018 at 1:01 AM, zil said:

Another reason to love fountain pens and their inks...  Pictures from this post by EBGBs over on the FPN:

20181121-130752b.jpg

image.png.c2678231e5057481ba9084844bb19d10.png

Canon Pixma MG5750 printer using PGI-670XL ink on 80 gsm reflex copy paper. Twice the beauty, half the hassle - a more efficient way to create. 

• 2 weeks later...