The Gun Thread

So, my favorite gun to date is the Ruger P95.  I was actually hooked when I tried the P89 the my BIL had.  It just felt so good to hold it.  And the kick was minor.  I found it to be a very dependable gun.

images.jpg

While I was getting used to it I ended up spending money on long guns.  But I finally got around to buying another handgun a few months ago.  I was looking for the next model Ruger.  The problem was that it appears all the new model Rugers have an internal hammer.  I haven't looked into the mechanics of an internal hammer enough to trust them.  It doesn't feel right to have something so critical out of manual control. 

So I ended up looking at the Sig Sauer P226.  Visually, it looked like the Ruger P95's kid brother.  It was slightly smaller.  But the barrel and overall look was very similar to the P95.  It has a slightly different handle.

mk25.jpg.8736733cb3a73891e757d591cd2a37aa.jpg

The problem is that it appears to be off a bit.  I hold it the same.  I shoot it the same.  The kick is comparable.  But I'm nowhere near as accurate with it than I am with the P95.  Next time I go to the range, I'll have the guys look at it and see if there's a problem.  The other thing is that after having shot it a while, I'm realizing that the slight differences were bigger than I thought.  That curve in the handle were made for someone with a different hand type than mine.  The sites are not as visible as that of the P95.

And Sig did not come with the bells and whistles.  I had to buy a generic loader.  It only came with a single magazine.  The case is pretty small.

I might have to check out the mechanics of internal hammers so I'll feel better about getting a Ruger next time.

Edited by Guest

rsz_target.thumb.jpg.94885dab3d3ae6ad3e5fde35dae70211.jpg

A young man in the ward is taking an interest in my 16 y.o. daughter.  At some point he's going to drum up the courage to ask her out on a date.  When he comes over, I'll be sure to show him this target.

I emptied a magazine at the head, then a magazine at the throat, then just above the bronchi, then the heart, then center mass, then the right lung.  I did the same thing with a second target.  Then I ran out of ammo.  I believe I had about 5 stray rounds when I wasn't concentrating hard enough.

It was at 15 yards.

My favorite pistol is the Glock 17.  I've carried this one for 20 years now.  The top one is my wife's Glock 19.  The bottom one is my G17.  I've got a Blackhawk Xiphos tactical light and Trijicon night sights.  I'm going to switch the Trijicon's out for Tru Glo Tritium fiber optics here shortly.

g17.jpg

My favorite rifle is my AR15.  I carry this one at work too.  I changed the foreguard to a Magpul, have a Surefire tactical light and an Aimpoint PRO red dot optic.  I also use a Magpul sling.  This is my youngest son shooting the AR with me on the office range.

image.jpg

This one was from my trip to Front Sight.  5 timed headbox shots from the holster and concealment. 5 headbox hits on time.  I think we shot from the 5 yard line.  I'm hoping for approval from the department to go back in February.

image.jpg

Yay gun thread!

Scriptures 101

...they took their swords, and all the weapons which were used for the shedding of man’s blood, and they did bury them up deep in the earth. ...rather than shed the blood of their brethren they would give up their own lives;

And then, three friggin' verses later:

...the Lamanites began to fall upon them, and began to slay them with the sword. And thus without meeting any resistance, they did slay a thousand and five of them.

It did end well, I guess.  I suppose it ended well-ish:

...And it came to pass that the people of God were joined that day by more than the number who had been slain; and those who had been slain were righteous people, therefore we have no reason to doubt but what they were saved.

Not many people connect the dots, but these people's kids became the Stripling Warriors.  Children, who chose to stand up and fight and kill and bleed and risk death, because their parents would not.  I wonder how many of the Stripling Warriors were orphans, their parents having been killed as they lay prostrate before their enemies.   I wonder if any of them had been there and seen it happen.

Anyway, the gospel tent is big enough to hold both the Oath-of-peace-taking People of Ammon (aka Anti-Nephi-Lehis), and their warrior children who intentionally learned the art of killing people, and then went and practiced their art on other humans.

Edited by NeuroTypical

58 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Not many people connect the dots, but these people's kids became the Stripling Warriors.  Children, who chose to stand up and fight and kill and bleed and risk death, because their parents would not.  I wonder how many of the Stripling Warriors were orphans, their parents having been killed as they lay prostrate before their enemies.   I wonder if any of them had been there and seen it happen.

What do you think motivated John Moses Browning?  He may not have been there.  But he knew his Church History.  He did not want his people to be defenseless ever again.  When America made peace with the Mormons.  He was happy to include all Americans as "His People."

For my husband’s Office Christmas party we had to buy a gift for the Christmas gift exchange. What we purchased:  a box of ammunition, a package of targets, and some snacks for the future target shooting outing.  It was a big hit at the gift exchange. (My husband knew most of the office had guns, since most of them had all gone to a concealed weapon class).

23 hours ago, Carborendum said:

So I ended up looking at the Sig Sauer P226.  Visually, it looked like the Ruger P95's kid brother.  It was slightly smaller.  But the barrel and overall look was very similar to the P95.  It has a slightly different handle.

mk25.jpg.8736733cb3a73891e757d591cd2a37aa.jpg

My new favorite handgun is the very inexpensive Sig Sauer SP2022 chambered in 9mm. (The P226's polymer cousin.) It comes with night sights and interchangeable hand grips for those different size hands that might be shooting it. Not only was it the most accurate handgun right out of the box, but I had zero issues with it no matter the type of ammunition I fed it. 

At $400, it is one of the best deals to be found. 

The less expensive price is a huge benefit as it means it can be replaced if necessary. Many of my friends like to carry the $1,000 - $3,000 handguns as their weapon, and there's nothing wrong with that. Other than the fact that they tend to treat it like a delicate flower. (Which defeats the whole purpose of a tool, IMO.) At the lower price point, I don't fret over scratches and dings. 

As for not shooting the P226 as well, it might be an issue with the handgun, or it might simply not be suited to you. 

For example, people love Glock. It's also what I was issued by the Feds years ago. But the truth is that I am simply not accurate with it. Likewise, out of the box, I had 1 failure to feed and 3 stove pipes within the first 200 rounds. It was just not well suited to me. 

I'd recommend going to a range where you can pay for a day of trying several different handguns and finding the one that is best suited to you. 

17 hours ago, Carborendum said:

What do you think motivated John Moses Browning? 

One of our favorite places/displays in Nauvoo to visit. If you make it there from TX @Carborendum this might be worth a visit for you and the family? (You probably have already been there though ;))

Browning-9.thumb.jpg.f251ce95755a60d773189bebf924e2d6.jpgcq5dam_web_835_835.jpeg.4418cffff4a7ea3b9b365657700d6f61.jpeg

Yes, we've been there (the one in Nauvoo, right?).  It was indeed an informative and fascinating visit. But that was the father's shop.  The son was the man with all the patents to his name.

Edited by Guest

Just now, mrmarklin said:

IMG_0362.jpg

My favorite carry revolver. Freedom Arms Model 97.  .22LR

I don't know how I got it into my head that you were English, especially with "California" emblazoned below your name as your location. But reading this made me do a bit of a double-take.

On 12/30/2017 at 12:23 PM, NeuroTypical said:

Anyway, the gospel tent is big enough to hold both the Oath-of-peace-taking People of Ammon (aka Anti-Nephi-Lehis), and their warrior children who intentionally learned the art of killing people, and then went and practiced their art on other humans.

Not to take away from your kumbaya lesson, but I think it's worth noting that those Lamanites who covenanted to forbear the shedding of blood, even in defense of their own lives and the lives of their families, were guilty of the grossest murders and depredations against the Nephites. They settled on that oath as a desperate (and apparently successful) attempt to gain the Spirit of God and have their sins remitted. In one of his last General Conference talks a few years ago, Elder Scott pointed out something I had never realized: The Lamanites swore that terrible covenant because returning to killing other people, even out of self-defense, would have reintroduced them to the horror of blood lust. And they were not strong enough to resist that. Far better for them to die along with their families, if need be, then to be eternally lost to their own carnal natures.

So I'd say the people of Ammon were in an uncommon if not unique position when they swore that oath. Their sons, the so-called "stripling warriors", are a much more realistic example to most of us of how we should strive to be.

On 12/31/2017 at 6:27 AM, Colirio said:

My new favorite handgun is the very inexpensive Sig Sauer SP2022 chambered in 9mm. (The P226's polymer cousin.) It comes with night sights and interchangeable hand grips for those different size hands that might be shooting it. Not only was it the most accurate handgun right out of the box, but I had zero issues with it no matter the type of ammunition I fed it. 

At $400, it is one of the best deals to be found. 

The less expensive price is a huge benefit as it means it can be replaced if necessary. Many of my friends like to carry the $1,000 - $3,000 handguns as their weapon, and there's nothing wrong with that. Other than the fact that they tend to treat it like a delicate flower. (Which defeats the whole purpose of a tool, IMO.) At the lower price point, I don't fret over scratches and dings. 

As for not shooting the P226 as well, it might be an issue with the handgun, or it might simply not be suited to you. 

For example, people love Glock. It's also what I was issued by the Feds years ago. But the truth is that I am simply not accurate with it. Likewise, out of the box, I had 1 failure to feed and 3 stove pipes within the first 200 rounds. It was just not well suited to me. 

I'd recommend going to a range where you can pay for a day of trying several different handguns and finding the one that is best suited to you. 

True. Everyone’s hand is different. I’m a big SIG fan, but YMMV.

My favorite SIG is the P210. I have an older version, but the new one has a more extended beavertail the prevents hammer bite.

Best version of the 226 is the target model X-5. It’s single action and very sweet. 

5 minutes ago, mrmarklin said:

True. Everyone’s hand is different. I’m a big SIG fan, but YMMV.

My favorite SIG is the P210. I have an older version, but the new one has a more extended beavertail the prevents hammer bite.

Best version of the 226 is the target model X-5. It’s single action and very sweet. 

I love Sig.  My favorite is the P220.  Oddly, my favorite carry is the G30.  I LOVE that firearm, and I typically despise Glock.

On 1/3/2018 at 11:05 PM, Godless said:

20180103_230351.jpg

I realize I may be speaking blasphemy to all gun lovers and J.M. Browning fans out there, but I simply never liked the feel of a 1911.  The corners of the handle were too sharp for my small and delicate hands.  I guess I should try a "woman's gun" or something:P.  But I'm still a fan of my Ruger that's considered a Tiger Tank of 9mm handguns.

Edited by Guest