Ear Piercing

person0

My 8 year old daughter has been begging us to let her get her ears pierced.  I personally would prefer to wait possibly until age 18 when they can make their own decisions, but at least for a few more years.  My wife does not have her ears pierced, but only because of being allergic to the metals used in earrings that are not made of pure silver. 

I don't like doing things just because of societal tradition.  For example, I think purchasing a diamond engagement ring is one of the most financially foolish things most young husbands/couples can do when starting out.

Latter-day prophets strongly discourage the piercing of the body except for medical purposes.  If girls or women desire to have their ears pierced, they are encouraged to wear only one pair of modest earrings.  (True to the Faith - Body Piercing)

My interpretation of this statement is thus: "Don't have any body piercings at all, but if you really can't resist, stick to just one pair of earrings."  Notice the, "if . . . desire".  That said President Hinckley did say the following:

“the Church . . . takes no position on the minimal piercing of the ears by women for one pair of earrings.”  (October 2000 General Conference)

I definitely don't believe its sinful to have pierced ears.  However, even though the Church does not have an official position on one pair of piercings, I tend to see this as a spirit of the law type of situation.  When we are resurrected will any of us have ear piercings?  No!

Thoughts?  Resources?

49 minutes ago, person0 said:

My 8 year old daughter has been begging us to let her get her ears pierced.  I personally would prefer to wait possibly until age 18 when they can make their own decisions, but at least for a few more years.  My wife does not have her ears pierced, but only because of being allergic to the metals used in earrings that are not made of pure silver. 

I don't like doing things just because of societal tradition.  For example, I think purchasing a diamond engagement ring is one of the most financially foolish things most young husbands/couples can do when starting out.

My interpretation of this statement is thus: "Don't have any body piercings at all, but if you really can't resist, stick to just one pair of earrings."  Notice the, "if . . . desire".  That said President Hinckley did say the following:

I definitely don't believe its sinful to have pierced ears.  However, even though the Church does not have an official position on one pair of piercings, I tend to see this as a spirit of the law type of situation.  When we are resurrected will any of us have ear piercings?  No!

Thoughts?  Resources?

As I recall, my mom was asked this question by some young people (I think these were seminary students and she was their teacher).  She didn't know how to answer them in a way that would convince them to heed the counsel to have only one set of earrings (if any).  So instead, she suggested that they read together all the scriptural accounts of people wearing jewelry.  Guess what?  The vast majority of them are about the wicked, the proud, the vain folk of the world.  I think the only positive ones are about celebration (e.g. dressing up for the bridegroom and such).  Apparently this had a profound impact on the young people in question and they then went off to make their own decisions.

Of course, you'll want to do this when the Spirit is around and not in the midst of an argument that's driven him away.

2 hours ago, person0 said:

Thoughts?  Resources?

Our family rule was we had to wait until we were 12 before we could get our ears pierced. And my mom (from personal experience) warned us against large/heavy earrings, especially around babies. I have my ears pierced, but do not wear earrings due to some plaque psoriasis that gets in the way. 

When one of my dad's sisters asked to get her ears pierced, my grandmother reportedly replied, "If God wanted you to have holes in your ears, He would have put them there."

Our bodies are temples. Adorning them modestly (read: with moderation) with jewelry or flowers that will not last can help us to enjoy their beauty.

Tangent on the diamond rings: when our office got new toilets, one of the first things I noticed was how quickly the front top of the rim got scratched up, and the only explanation I can conjure up is my coworkers' wedding/engagement rings. I'm no germaphobe, but...

2 hours ago, person0 said:

Thoughts?  Resources?

These women don’t seem to care

E685330A-D0FD-464E-BFB8-2E68E4BE38D5.jpeg

372442D6-84B2-43D9-B249-B948A014EB44.jpeg

21 hours ago, person0 said:

Thoughts?  Resources?

My thoughts:

1) I agree, being moved by societal tradition is not a good indicator of what is right, wrong, or neutral.
2) Make a decision between you and your wife that your both agree upon, and follow it. I, personally, follow the counsel regarding only one earring. I think they look lovely on women, and can add to the outfit. I think the Church is wise to counsel against any piercing, because look at how many "spirit of the law" followers tend to take a counsel as far as they think the "spirit" allows -- erroneously. We allow our daughters at the age of 12. They are at this point for sure old enough to take care of the earrings themselves.

As pertaining to the diamond engagement ring, I like the tradition; however, the dollar amount that some women assume they deserve and if not their fiance doesn't love them -- is ridiculous. The value/money of the ring is more important than the young men being an honorable priesthood holder. I expect this mental state within the Great and Spacious building, not within Zion. The ring I first purchased was less than $400. Here are a few opposite experiences and why I like and why I don't like.

1) Fiance purchases a ring over $5K, when she sees a women with one bigger rock, she asked me, "Do you think my diamond is big enough"? Knowing how much he spent on her ring, I wanted to give him a call and say you may want to think twice about this engagement.
2) Boyfriend proposes without a ring. Her response, "Where is my ring"? The boyfriend caught off guard, hears her response to her own question. She runs to the kitchen, grabs some tin foil, rips a piece off, fold it, and then makes it into a ring. "Here put this on me until we can afford an engagement ring."
3) Hypothetical scenario of a similar couple to #2. He was about to purchase a ring from the .25 cent machines because he didn't have the money to afford a ring. By which a woman then responded, "Did she throw it in his face? I won't accept a ring unless it is at least $2K.

This reminds me too much of the warning to the daughters of Zion in scripture for #1 and #3.

Edited by Anddenex

On 12/30/2017 at 8:42 PM, Fether said:

These women don’t seem to care

E685330A-D0FD-464E-BFB8-2E68E4BE38D5.jpeg

372442D6-84B2-43D9-B249-B948A014EB44.jpeg

FWIW, it was more common in the generation some of these women are from to use clip-on earrings - my mom and some of her sisters did.

That said, I don't see any of them wearing [ETA: more than] one pair (which was the perceived counsel back then), and some may be wearing none.

Edited by zil
no idea how I missed that the first time

On a related note, I find it curious (not necessarily evil or anything) why women dye their hair.  I never really thought about female hair much.  But my wife just informed me that she and only two other women in the ward don't color their hair in some way.  Just this last week, one of those women moved to Florida.  So, just my wife and one other woman don't dye their hair.

Apparently this does not include the silver haired women in the ward who are, well, silver.

Incidentally, Mrs. Carb says that this one other woman is who she wants to be like.  I think that was a pretty good choice.  That sister is pretty impressive.  And truthfully, I would like to be like her husband when I grow up.

18 minutes ago, zil said:

Have you told your wife this?  Are you waiting for her husband to die off? :P

(Isn't English grand?)

Ah-HEM!!  I said I wanted to be "like" her husband.  I didn't say I wanted to BE her husband.

BSF. They really are a great family.  And both of them just radiate the love of Christ.  I really do wish my wife and I could be like them.

Ear piercing is very cultural. My wife is from Latin America and piercing is done to female children at around six months of age. The girls grow up with earrings in their ears. My daughter was pierced at an early age, and my granddaughter, whose mother is Mexican, also has pierced ears. She’s now eight.

OTOH, my mother never had her ears pierced in her lifetime.  A different culture.

Hinckley’s comment about the Church having no position on piercing, certainly reflects the growing number of Latins joining the church at that time. 

BTW, the rule on engagement ring cost is two months salary. A good argument for marrying young, when one’s salary is low!

Edited by mrmarklin

On 12/30/2017 at 8:08 PM, person0 said:

When we are resurrected will any of us have ear piercings?  No!

Thoughts? 

We won't have make-up either.  I'm not even sure we'll have straight white teeth... at least I wasn't born with it.  But we still wear braces.

And that's really all that is.  We women love to pretty ourselves up.  Earrings dangling from our ears are pretty.  Make-up is pretty.  And straight white teeth.  I loved putting my mom's make-up on when I was super young - like 3 years old kind of young - and wearing her high heels.  My mom discouraged me from make-up because of the health effects of cheap make-up on the skin.  But I've always had a penchant for high heels because my grandma is so big on high heels that she would wear them even when just cleaning the house.  Then I turned tomboy (wanted to hang out with my brothers and such) so didn't touch make-up, jewelry, or high heels until I graduated from college.  Now, I LOVE LOVE LOVE to dress up for Church complete with make-up and my costume jewelry.  I wear my high heels everywhere.  I just walked up and down the Rocky Mountains in my 3-inch boots.  I'm sure glad my mom pierced my ears when I was 8 or so.  Clip-ons HURT!  

Anyway, pierced ears is a convenience for jewelry.  I don't wear jewelry everyday.  In fact, I only wear jewelry for special occasions (not every Sunday even).  Without the jewelry, the pierced ears is no different than unpierced ears.  It's not like a tattoo where once it's inked on your skin it becomes a permanent visible mark on your skin that makes a statement about yourself.

Piercings are discouraged because of its cultural symbolism in certain cultures.  It has even become a thing in the US to wear African type earlobe gauging.  This ear stretching process makes the piercing permanently visible - a thing that has symbolism in African cultures - the larger the gauge of the hole, the higher your status.  Same thing with neck stretching in some African tribes and foot binding in some Chinese cultures.  That statement may not be something that can be interpreted as a good representation of Christ.

The multiple earrings as well as the ear stretching in American culture also makes a statement about yourself - it is associated with edgy personal expression in the same manner as the beard in the hippie days.  It gives a first-impression statement that is contradictory to the image we want to present  as Christ's representatives.

But an elegant pair of earrings is a statement of... elegance.  Just like the elegant make-up and the elegant shoes and the elegant clothes.  We are, of course, encouraged to present our best selves on Sundays and everywhere else where we represent Christ.  Neat and tidy is one thing... well put together is a step up - like wearing a suit.  It goes beyond neat and tidy.  A nice pair of earrings goes with that image of being well put together.  Hanging Madonna-type cross-earrings and the like doesn't really present the same elegant image.

So, when deciding on ear piercings - make sure it comes with the teaching on what the piercing IS FOR.  It is not about the piercing.  It is about what you hang on your ears.  My mom explained it to me at age 8 - it wasn't my choice, it was my mom's.  She pierced both me and my younger sister at the same time.  Most midwives (which my mom is) in the Philippines at that time preferred to pierce the ears when newborn.  But my mom did not want to do it to her daughters at newborn because it is harder to place the piercing at the correct spot for elegant earrings as the growth of the ear is not the same for everybody.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by anatess2

@person0

I think that any time two individuals of different families and gender – that are legally married before the laws of G-d and man - can somehow come to some agreement concerning how to raise children – that they have achieved, perhaps life’s greatest challenge.  Adolescences should be encouraged to develop their own theories as to how they will complete the challenge of raising children but trying to include such input may prove overwhelming and overly complex to parents that have much more important things on their plate.

The Traveler

I have no position on earrings personally beyond the church's official position. My wife and I have talked and said 12 is probably when we will let our daughter decide whether she wants to pierce her ears or not. I like the earrings my wife wears, I think she looks great in them, so I don't think this is that big of a deal overall. I'm just glad I don't have to do it because I am a huge wuss and would probably faint (it's hard enough for me to get a shot☺). 

Guest MormonGator
10 hours ago, mrmarklin said:

So?

Mother’s  day was started by a greeting card company. 

Wrong. Google "Anna Jarvis". 

It actually is a problem. Men feel guilty if they don't bankrupt themselves into buying a huge diamond and women feel entitled to a huge diamond that would make Liz Taylor jealous. If that's your thing, fine-to each their own.

Edited by MormonGator

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

Wrong. Google "Anna Jarvis". 

It actually is a problem. Men feel guilty if they don't bankrupt themselves into buying a huge diamond and women feel entitled to a huge diamond that would make Liz Taylor jealous. If that's your thing, fine-to each their own.

From a purely economical standpoint if you can't afford a nice ring you probably can't afford a nice house, a nice car and certainly can't afford to bring kids into this world. To me it means you probably can't afford to get married.  

Yet, while we rail on about a stupid tradition bankrupting young couples we congratulate them when they get pregnant without any visible means of support for their children (think college students).

Exception clause: Yes there are always exceptions, and we like to live our lives as the exception please don't tell me how great it worked out for you or someone you know because you and they are the exception.