tithing

dadveale

5 hours ago, dadveale said:

can branch presidents demand  you   catch up on your tithing if you have missed some

"Demand" - seems like a strong word/approach.
I would guess one of two things, he might instead be:
1. Encouraging and advising you to catch up so that you can better receive the blessings associated with being a full tithe payer.
and/or
2. Requiring you to become a full tithe payer so that you can get or maintain your temple recommend.
The choice to become a full tithe payer is your decision. He can and should encourage you become one. His job is to help us become better disciples of Christ, this is one way among many that he may encourage you to achieve that goal.

Pay or don't pay the choice is yours.
Miss out on particular blessings (ex. temple recommend), the choice is yours.

Edited by NeedleinA

I suppose he could demand it.  I don't know how well people would respond to demands, though.  Unless, of course, what you really mean is he laid out a path for you to get right with God so you can receive the blessings of Temple, callings, etc and you don't like it. 

Regardless, whether he demands it or explains the commandment, he can't force you to pay it.  Whether or not you choose to follow God is up to you.

thanks for replies  but i still can't find any where you are told you need to catch up .  just  try and keep up to date will tell friend  who is 70 and has a 100 yr old dad to look after and does lots with missionarys. and feeds them  . as he  with drew 1500.00 nz he was demaned to pay out of his bank only leave him self 150.00 and is on penison .  last  week . but when president gave talk  and  said those that don't pay are worshiping idols  and read some think out out off old tesiment that you would be stoned or cast out . he decided not to pay the y $1500. and put it back in bank . and said he will not be comming back to church . didn't think any president could check or look up your thithing and say you have not paid enough.  thought it was up to you to say yes you have paid full . or part .  has no said he will stop comming to church has been a member for 15 yrs .Iam sure god didn't demand any body to do any think . 

Edited by dadveale