Biggest LDS related news according to the Trib

the Ogre

According to this article published by the Salt Lake Tribune, the following are biggest LDS related news events. Do you agree? What did they miss? What was the biggest event for you?

• President Monson skipping general conference due to health and age.
  • President Monson essentially retires.
  • Elder Hales dies during October General Conference.
  • Elder Hamula gets exed.
  • MormonLeaks publishes President Eyring's 2000 paystub of $89K and that all GAs of any level being paid $120K.
  • The Church steps further away from scouting.
  • A new Relief Society Presidency.
  • The new MTC in Provo.
  • New prospective missionary interview questions.
  • The Church endorses an LGBTQ fundraising concert.
  • The Trump visits Welfare Square.
  • Shorter General Conference.
  • Looser dress standards for church employees.
  • Updated parental leave benefits for church employees.
  • New Temples.
  • Single men over 30 and the recently divorced can now volunteer at the temple.
  • Priest age boys can perform baptisms for the dead.
  • Teenage girls can now volunteer at temple baptisteries.
  • Temple and Priesthood Prep classes will include girls as well as boys.
  • Caffeinated Coke allowed at BYU and LDS Business College.
  • The ‘Snufferites’ meet to canonize a new set of scriptures.
  • FLDS Lyle Jeffs is captured, arrested, and sentenced to 5 years for defrauding food stamps.

Exactly the (pretend) one foot in and the (real) two feet out type of reporting I have come to expect from the SLT.

I think the reposting of their supposed reporting falls into the same category.

Edited by NeedleinA

You didn't respond to the OP, however.

1. Where did the Trib get it wrong since you despise them so much?
  2. What is the biggest LDS news of 2017 in your opinion?

I'm interested in discussing the news, rather than shooting the messenger (and yes, it is fair to say the Trib is not always the best at reporting LDS issues, but so what, that's not the point here).

Guest MormonGator

I think the biggest news story is the tragic dismissal  of Elder Hamula. It's a rare event when someone that high up is asked to leave. it's a sad story, but I think it's the biggest LDS news event of the past year.

Edited by MormonGator

1 hour ago, the Ogre said:
  1. Where did the Trib get it wrong since you despise them so much?

The message/point of the SLT's article, in my opinion, is always the same: "psssstt we just wanted to make sure you all didn't miss this dirt on the Church":

- Elder Hamula gets exed.
- MormonLeaks publishes President Eyring's 2000 paystub of $89K and that all GAs of any level being paid $120K.

All the rest of their bullet points are simply there to sprinkle sugar on the dirt, hoping LDS members will more likely swallow it.
Untitled-1.jpg.778c4b11ca8881d48343d88a28bedb89.jpg

2 hours ago, the Ogre said:
  1. What is the biggest LDS news of 2017 in your opinion?

Church News: 2017 Year in Review

Either:

On August 17, Elder D. Todd Christofferson visited the Church’s only branch in Nepal and surprised members with copies of the first Nepali translation of the Book of Mormon. Learn more.

or

The newly built missionary training center in Accra, Ghana, was dedicated by Elder David A. Bednar of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles on October 24. Learn more.

church-news-and-events-2017-year-in-revi

Missionaries walk to classrooms at the Ghana MTC. Elder David A. Bednar of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles dedicated the facility on October 24, 2017. Photo by Douglas Hadley.

or

On December 14, the First Presidency announced changes in temple policies that give young men and young women more opportunities in temple work and that help Primary children better prepare to serve in the temple. Learn more.

I would point to the biggest changes being either:

- Allowing the youth to more participate in temple work

- Changes to General Conference formating

- Changes to 3rd hour teaching style.

All of these have potentially very potent (if subtle) impacts on our future.

And what do Snufferites and FLDS have to do with LDS News?  It's like reporting on the dirt of Protestants as Catholic-related news.  As @NeedleinA aptly stated - sugar and dirt.  These contribute to making the dirt seem more abundant.

It's a stupid list for a New Year.

@anatess2 - might be of interest?

On September 10, Elder Neil L. Andersen created the 100th stake in the Philippines—the Mandaluyong Philippines Stake. A day earlier, hundreds of Filipino youth celebrated the event with a cultural celebration in Manila. Learn more.

church-news-and-events-2017-year-in-revi

Confetti rains down on performers at the conclusion of a cultural celebration titled “Upon the Isle of the Sea” and held in the Kia Theater in Quezon City, Philippines, on September 10, 2017. Photo by Noel Maglaque.

1 hour ago, NeedleinA said:

From the link shared by @NeedleinA, here are my favorite news items:

1. President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, Second Counselor in the First Presidency, announced on February 7 the creation of a new global higher education organization, BYU–Pathway Worldwide.
  2. The printer’s manuscript of The Book of Mormon was purchased by the Church.
  3. On December 14, the First Presidency announced changes in temple policies that give young men and young women more opportunities in temple work and that help Primary children better prepare to serve in the temple.
  4. The First Presidency announced on May 11 that the Church will discontinue involvement in the Boy Scouts of America Varsity and Venturing programs.
  5. March 17 marked 175 years since the organization of the Relief Society by the prophet Joseph Smith in 1842. 
  6. On August 17, Elder D. Todd Christofferson visited the Church’s only branch in Nepal and surprised members with copies of the first Nepali translation of the Book of Mormon.
  7. Elder Robert D. Hales of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles died on October 1. Funeral services were held on October 6 in the Salt Lake Tabernacle.
  8. On October 27, the First Presidency announced changes to the general women’s and general priesthood sessions of general conference.

12 hours ago, the Ogre said:

• MormonLeaks publishes President Eyring's 2000 paystub of $89K and that all GAs of any level being paid $120K.
  • The Church steps further away from scouting.
  • Caffeinated Coke allowed at BYU and LDS Business College.

If we're going gossipy worldly news instead of matters of spiritual worth, these are the only three that matter. 

The paystub leak, IMO, did more to silence critics than all the apologetics from the 1980's combined.  My uber-critic facebook arguing buddy managed to crowbar a few begrudging mutters of loathing respect out of himself.    Until the leak, any critic worth his salt, just naturally assumed the senior leadership of the corporate mormon empire, powerful enough to occasionally alter the geopolitical landscape in noticeable ways,  would all have been made millionaires/billionaires by that organization.  To discover that individuals serving in the quorum of the twelve apostles, actually "make" about the same as a pastor of a small-to-medium size congregation in Iowa, well, some of them looked down at their coffee and wondered if it had been drugged.  They are at a total loss to explain why the most logical explanation for such matters, is now "those guys actually believe what they preach".

My Catholic buddy congratulated me on the second one, wistfully sorrowing about his own organization's failure to do the same.

And of course, the third one, is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy, even when they go to BYU.  (snicker)

Edited by NeuroTypical

12 hours ago, the Ogre said:

According to this article published by the Salt Lake Tribune, the following are biggest LDS related news events. Do you agree? What did they miss? What was the biggest event for you?

• President Monson skipping general conference due to health and age.  We kind of expected this to happen at some point.
  • President Monson essentially retires. Huh?  Some people really have no idea how the Church works.
  • Elder Hales dies during October General Conference. Death is pretty shocking.  But just as Pres. Nelson said when Pres. Hinckley died.  The work of the Lord moves along unhindered.    
  • Elder Hamula gets exed.Yup.  Reminiscent of George P. Lee.  But Hamula seemed a little more humble about it.  There may be a chance for him to come back.
  • MormonLeaks publishes President Eyring's 2000 paystub of $89K and that all GAs of any level being paid $120K. This was almost as disappointing as Geraldo Rivera's opening of Al Capone's vault.
  • The Church steps further away from scouting. We saw it coming.
  • A new Relief Society Presidency. It happens.
  • The new MTC in Provo. About time.
  • New prospective missionary interview questions.  I didn't know this was a secret.  They're not much different than for the temple recommend.  A few additions since society keeps changing (ADHD, Aspergers, etc.)  And some differences tailored to full-time missionaries (testify of Christ).  Makes sense.  Still wondering why this is news.
  • The Church endorses an LGBTQ fundraising concert. And?
  • The Trump visits Welfare Square.It happens.
  • Shorter General Conference. Hmm...OK... So, what's for dinner?
  • Looser dress standards for church employees. Ok.
  • Updated parental leave benefits for church employees. It happens.
  • New Temples.Yup.  We're aware.
  • Single men over 30 and the recently divorced can now volunteer at the temple. Sounds good.
  • Priest age boys can perform baptisms for the dead. Sounds good.
  • Teenage girls can now volunteer at temple baptisteries. Sounds good.
  • Temple and Priesthood Prep classes will include girls as well as boys. This is news?
  • Caffeinated Coke allowed at BYU and LDS Business College.  Eye roll.
  • The ‘Snufferites’ meet to canonize a new set of scriptures. Yeah, but Denver keeps telling people not to follow him, right? Right?
  • FLDS Lyle Jeffs is captured, arrested, and sentenced to 5 years for defrauding food stamps.And who didn't see this coming.

For the most part, these things happen.  Some items were news.  But I don't know why these things would be considered "big news."  Most of these were not really "news."  They were standard items of business as things keep moving forward.

Maybe its because I'm feeling in a really bored mood right now.  Nothing seems to phase me.  It's the same stuff over and over again.  There doesn't seem to be anything new under the sun. When we keep moving along a path that we've been moving along, for some reason people are surprised when that movement implies change.

12 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Looser dress standards for church employees. Ok.

Funny story.  A year or so before this change, a female friend of mine went to interview for a job with the Church.  It had been 3 teenagers since she last interviewed for a job.  She asked her sister what the dress code was for interviewing (either she failed to mention "with the Church" or her sister spaced on that fact), and her sister told her women don't generally wear dresses/skirts to job interviews any more, just a nice outfit with slacks.  So, off my friend went to the interview.  She noted rather uncomfortably that she was the only one not wearing a skirt. :)  After the interview, the interviewer asked her if she was aware of the dress code. :lol:  They straightened that out and she got the job.

Then this change was announced, and, of course, we had to tease her about triggering the change, being ahead of her time, being dressed appropriately after all, etc. :D

Edited by zil

18 hours ago, NeedleinA said:

@anatess2 - might be of interest?

That's kinda eclipsed by the GIGANTIC NEWS for us Filipinos that another temple TWENTY MILES from the Manila Temple is going to be built.  We discussed it here in Mormonhub and if I remember correctly, we concluded that that's the only place in the entire planet that would have 2 temples within 20 miles of each other outside of Utah.

On 02/01/2018 at 3:06 AM, the Ogre said:

I see they left out my birthday!

48 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

I see they left out my birthday!

WHAT!?!?!?  you had a birthday last year?  Waitaminute.  Didn't you have one just a year before that?  When are you going to stop?  For heaven's sake!

I just wish you'd stop that... that... Breathing  in-and-out  in-and-out it's so repetitive!

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, Carborendum said:

WHAT!?!?!?  you had a birthday last year?  Waitaminute.  Didn't you have one just a year before that?  When are you going to stop?  For heaven's sake!

I just wish you'd stop that... that... Breathing  in-and-out  in-and-out it's so repetitive!

The biggest LDS news is that the church hasn't excommunicated @askandanswer yet for his wretched sense of humor. :P

2 hours ago, MormonGator said:

The biggest LDS news is that the church hasn't excommunicated @askandanswer yet for his wretched sense of humor. :P

I'm gone before him.  I NEED a filter between brain and my mouth.  I'm surprised I didn't get tossed from Principles class this week.  Being a Mormon is harder than I thought.

Guest MormonGator
Just now, Grunt said:

I'm gone before him.  I NEED a filter between brain and my mouth.  I'm surprised I didn't get tossed from Principles class this week.  Being a Mormon is harder than I thought.

I told you to wait until priesthood to light up the Marlboro, but you didn't listen to me, did you? 

1 hour ago, Grunt said:

Well, since I've got Tourette's it's probably harder for me than for you.  So far, no one has said anything to me...  About me...  Of course, no one has said anything to me about you either, so...

6 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Six other people laughed at this?! I can see the need for a re-education camp wherein attendees can be "instructed" in the difference between humor that is wretched and humour that is brilliant.

6 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Its true, I had a birthday last year and the year before that and I'm planning on having one this year and next year as well but they are all different from each other because every year I get a year older (coincidence perhaps?) Great events should have great celebrations but its not something that should be celebrated only on my birthday. Daily celebrations would be entirely appropriate. 

And as for the breathing thing, I'm well passed the stage where I breathe in and out. My breathing is of the far superior kind where I breathe out and then in. But not in a repetitive manner - only when necessary.