One of these days I'll join you're church.

Hey guys,

i would like to say how much I like the support lds members give converts/investigators on this forum. I hope one day to become a member of this great faith even though I'm the total opposite mormon (I curse like a sailor, drinker, cigarette smoker, drug abuser.) I've done a lot of research on the church from all different perspectives I really like all aspects of it to be quite honest. It might not be today or Tommorow or maybe even this year but I hope one day I will come out of my shell of insecurity and anxiety and join The church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, Oneofthesedays said:

Hey guys,

i would like to say how much I like the support lds members give converts/investigators on this forum. I hope one day to become a member of this great faith even though I'm the total opposite mormon (I curse like a sailor, drinker, cigarette smoker, drug abuser.) I've done a lot of research on the church from all different perspectives I really like all aspects of it to be quite honest. It might not be today or Tommorow or maybe even this year but I hope one day I will come out of my shell of insecurity and anxiety and join The church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

That's beautiful of you to say bro. Try to remember that all of us have our faults-some of us may curse like sailors, drink coffee/tea/whiskey or whatever and smoke weed or cigarettes or cigars. The church is a refuge for sinners, not a haven for saints. 

And remember-even the person who is a teetotaler still has their faults and sins. Sometimes much more severe than bad habits. 

Edited by MormonGator

3 hours ago, Oneofthesedays said:

Hey guys,

Welcome.  My grandfather had problems with tobacco, coffee, tea, and a little bit of alcohol.  I don't recall he ever did any drugs, thought.  When he decided to become a Mormon, he gave up tea and alcohol fairly easily.  He took some time to kick his coffee habit.  But when he discovered Cafix and Pero, he was fine.  Tobacco... That was a tough one for him.  He was really addicted to nicotine.  He never realized just how badly he was hooked until he tried to kick the habit.  I don't know how long he took, but it was long enough that his wife got baptized without him -- this was much rarer in those days (ya know... when Adam was the prophet :D). 

He eventually got off of tobacco and was baptized.

If the WoW is the only thing keeping you from joining, well, just keep working at it.  If my grandfather could do it, so can you.

Welcome oneofthesedays!  No, no, I don't mean to be able to welcome you one of these days.  I meant welcome oneofthesedays which is your name.  Hah hah.  I am funny.  Please laugh.  :taz:

Anyway, it is awesome that you love the Church and its teachings.  Just some words of encouragement... I think our surroundings influence us if we let it.  So, being around church people who don't curse like sailors or drink or get high, etc. etc. will help us not do those things if we so desire not to do those things.  It's funny how my Marine best friend has no problem talking clean around our kids then the kids go to bed and he goes and be a Marine again!  :D

Okay, so another thing.  Before I had kids, my husband got me an African Gray parrot.  I realized that we are more than ready to have children (or babysit children) because our parrot, who has acquired quite an extensive vocabulary has not said a single bad word in his life.  :D  

• 2 weeks later...
On January 4, 2018 at 1:09 PM, anatess2 said:

Anyway, it is awesome that you love the Church and its teachings.  Just some words of encouragement... I think our surroundings influence us if we let it.

Amen, and amen!

My younger sister and I grew up semi active, and I've been devout since my last year of college. @Oneofthesedays, my sister led the same kind of life you are throughout her high school and college years. I moved 600 miles away from home so I could continue to easily practice my faith, and my sister noticed the changes in my life. Three years later, she finally woke up to her wake-up calls and made the leap of faith to move in with me and ended up creating a better life to take back home with her. She's not perfectly obedient to the commandments (she drinks coffee and is probably embarrassed to admit to me that she's taken up smoking again) but she does a pretty good job of showing me how to treat people.

Point is, don't allow anything to hold you back. If you look for a support system, you'll find one.

• 3 weeks later...