New York Times Vilifies President Monson in Obituary

pam

No disrespect was intended. We might have referred to him as “President Monson” at least once, in keeping with our stylebook, but that book also says, “Mr. and Dr. are also appropriate.”

In any case, “Mr.” is a common honorific in our pages for ministers (we’re obliged to say “Mr. Jones” on second reference, not “Reverend Jones”) and even presidents of the United States (you’ll find plenty of “Mr. Trump”s in our pages).

Now, I perfectly understand them referring to our Prophet as Mr. Monson.  I have no problem with that.  But notice the justification and comparison.  They did this to the hypothetical "Reverend Jones" and to Mr. Trump.  But when did they ever do it to Mr. Obama?

Edited by Guest

48 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Now, I perfectly understand them referring to our Prophet as Mr. Monson.  I have no problem with that.  But notice the justification and comparison.  they did this to the hypothetical "Reverend Jones" and to Mr. Trump.  But when did they ever to it to Mr. Obama?

This "complaint" is bogus. How many people were complaining that the NYT didn't say "President"? That's ridiculous. They threw that in there to try to imply that people were just being overly sensitive to their factual, hard-hitting reporting. As the old saying goes, you can tell when NYT employees are lying, because their lips move.

5 hours ago, Vort said:

This "complaint" is bogus. How many people were complaining that the NYT didn't say "President"?

Actually I saw quite a few complaints about it both on facebook comments and news stations comments. 

• 5 months later...