A Moronic Mormon (me) Meets The New Curriculum

slamjet

Allow me to share my experience with the new curriculum.  This past Sunday in my Elders Quorum was the first Sunday we did that whole "quorum counsel" thing.  Essentially, group discussion. 

The topic was "I don't know all things but I know the Lord loves me."  Ok, decent topic except it was turning into a lesson.  Now don't get me wrong, I always liked the way the presenter teaches and he's a really good friend however, three-quarters of the way through there was very little quorum participation.  So I opened my big mouth in an epic way. 

Me: May I say something?
Teacher: Sure, go ahead.
Me: I think we're going off the rails here.

I then proceeded to state how this was not the intent of the curriculum and, like I'm genetically programmed to do, proceeded to take over and lead a group discussion.  That is until it finally dawned on me that I was being a total ***.  In my defense, I've been through over a decade of group therapies and 12-step programs so I know how these meetings are suppose to go.  As an indictment, I've not had my blessings restored so I have no priesthood.  But I was sitting there as though my chair was made of thumb-tacks and trying to hold myself back.  But my filters were not strong enough, eventually malfunctioned, and that was it.

To make it even better, one of the Bishopric was there, got up at the end, tried to put it all into perspective about figuring this out, pointed at me, and said "at least <slamjet> doesn't have a problem participating... to a fault."

So yea, I think I embarrassed the teacher, had to profusely apologize, and re-enforce the notion that I am a real pain.

100 years ago, priesthood was not held on Sundays.  It was a weekday meeting like youth night in more recent years.  The purpose of this was to separate Priesthood meeting from Sunday School.  It was never intended to be a gospel doctrine class for individual groups.  It was supposed to be a business meeting.  It was about conducting the business of the quorum.

I think that today's first Sunday Curriculum is an effort to return to those days.

We discussed those in need.  One recent convert who has gone inactive.  One man whose wife has just recently fallen into a chronic and severe medical condition.  Another family who...  One household that's in the process of moving into the ward.  Two more are moving out of the ward.  These were the items of business this past week.

Edited by Guest

On a connected but different idea.  With Sunday School and Priesthood/Relief Society both in the three hour block, what would your thoughts be if it was reduced to...let's say...2 hours?

Or if it was reduced to 2.5 hours with 1 hour in Sacrament, and 40 minutes for Sunday School and then Priesthood/Relief Society or some variation in between?

I'm thinking that perhaps Sunday School should remain about Scripture discussions, but with Priesthood/Relief Society it is more about business and perhaps repeating Sunday School stuff is not really necessary. 

Though the time has not been reduced, perhaps that is a big part of why the change in curriculum...because PH/RS has become a LOT like Sunday School over the past decade and this is a move to get it more like a quorum or society where discussion takes place and the needs of the quorum or ward are discussed instead rather than having it just like a second Sunday School lesson.

I didn't make RS yesterday.  Good thing, though.  I am just way too chatty for group discussions.  I bought an awesome coloring book from Deseret when I was in Colorado.  I'll need to bring that to RS so I don't take over the lesson...

I guess this is my way of saying @slamjet, I think I understand how you feel...