I'm attracted to both Man and Woman...

I'm attracted to both Man and Woman...there I said it. Now flood my board with hatred. As you know, I am a member of the LDS church....I admit it, I am attracted to both Men and Women. I have had 1 past sexual relationship with a man. I want to change my ways, I've come back to church because I feel really bad! I just acted on my desire! Do I have a chance if I repent?!

2 minutes ago, curious_mormon said:

Now flood my board with hatred.

Not generally our style.

4 minutes ago, curious_mormon said:

I just acted on my desire!

This is not a justification or excuse for anything.  Acting on one's desires may be fine, or not fine, depending on how those desires relate to the ways of God.

3 minutes ago, curious_mormon said:

Do I have a chance if I repent?!

Of course.  That's why Christ came and Atoned for our sins.

You have a weakness,  a natural-man tendency toward some sin.  All of us do.  Some of those tendencies are stronger than others.  Some of those tendencies are harder to overcome than others.  Nonetheless, we all are weak, and all have tendencies we must learn to master.  Don't let Satan convince you that you are unique or alone in this - you aren't.

Guest MormonGator

First off, shame on anyone who floods the board with hatred towards you.  They've got their own problems. 

We all have weakness my friend. For some people it's sexuality. For some people it's anger. For others it's a lack of forgiveness. All are sinful and all can lead to problems further down the road. Your sexual weakness is like my unforgiving streak. I can tell you straight up that when people I dislike fail at something or have hard times-I can feel a lot of schadenfreude. It's disgusting and horrible-and it's definitely my biggest weakness. What we have in common is that we both know what our weakness are and we should both try to combat it. That, my friend, makes us on the right track. Many people refuse to admit they have any weakness-sexual or not. 

Praying for you bud. 

Edited by MormonGator

1 hour ago, curious_mormon said:

I'm attracted to both Man and Woman...there I said it. Now flood my board with hatred.

Ok.  If you insist.  Here you go.

5a5a91e98c370_FloodOfHate.jpg.f7785e009ddacbede85cb31f0df07513.jpg

Do you like it?  I worked really hard on it.  You could print it at a local print shop and post it over the mantle.  Do you have a fireplace?  If not, you could put it on the wall over the bed.  Of course, framing can be somewhat expensive if it is large enough to be the center piece over the bed.

Oh my!  I said "bed"... in this thread... I'll have to go hang my head in shame.

Edited by Guest

I'm attracted to both Man and Woman...there I said it. Now flood my board with hatred.

Why?  There's nothing sinful about having attraction.  Sins involve actions.   Note: when I say "action" isn't limited physically moving your body.  For example moving your mind, aka indulging sinful thoughts, is not ok.  

I have had 1 past sexual relationship with a man. I want to change my ways, I've come back to church because I feel really bad! I just acted on my desire! Do I have a chance if I repent?!

So that's the part where the sinning came in.  So, as with all major sins, go talk to your bishop- he'll coach you through repentance and be your support time.  

Edited by Jane_Doe

I'm attracted to both Man and Woman...there I said it. Now flood my board with hatred. As you know, I am a member of the LDS church....I admit it, I am attracted to both Men and Women. I have had 1 past sexual relationship with a man. I want to change my ways, I've come back to church because I feel really bad! I just acted on my desire! Do I have a chance if I repent?!

The only problem with being attracted to both men and women is the fact that in order to remain faithful to the Lord, you must forsake sexual thoughts, actions, and interactions related to whichever of the two is the same sex as you are.  This is what it means to forsake the natural man.  We all have to deal with it in different ways.  I don't think you will find any hatred here, brother.

Repent with your Bishop, forsake acting on your homosexual thoughts and desires, and then move forward with your life on the path with Christ.  There is no reason you can't be forgiven.  When you were baptized, your covenant with Christ enables you to become clean through him, every time you put for the effort and fully repent.  Every time.

2 hours ago, curious_mormon said:

Now flood my board with hatred.

Sorry, but I'd rather not develop my capacity for hatred.

Do I have a chance if I repent?!

Yes. That is the gospel message - you can repent and return to our Father's presence. This thread covers some similar questions.

I've never understood why bisexuality would be a big moral issue. You are sometimes attracted to people of the same sex. I am sometimes attracted to married people. We just need to focus our energy on the appropriate possibilities.

3 hours ago, curious_mormon said:

i'm really sorry for the pain you are going through.  My best advice is that you surround yourself with people who are truly concerned about your happiness, and then also pray to God (yourself, directly, unfiltered) with an earnest and open heart.  The topics you raise have plenty of people (both sides) looking for one mascot to parade, and another to crucify - neither of which is healthy in my opinion.  Just try and be honest and objective about which relationships are based on mutual respect and caring.

And there is always the opportunity to change - as long as the will to change exists.  That i think is a large part of what Jesus provides for us.

Edited by lostinwater

4 hours ago, curious_mormon said:

If anyone expresses disgust towards you as you grapple with weakness, it is because something is wrong with them and they are not properly applying the teachings of Christ.

That said, you are going to need to ignore and not encourage the homosexual desires, as well as repent of any past sin - talk with your Bishop about this, he will understand and can help you.  If you are willing to repent of the past and ignore the homosexual desires going forward, there is all the reason in the world to believe that you can have all of the blessings of the gospel, including exaltation and eternal marriage.  You have found the truth and you are penitent for your past sins - you have an excellent start, now you need to keep on pressing through towards your eternal goals.

Edited by DoctorLemon

All of us are sinners.  Each of us has certain sins that we struggle with.  That is why we all need repentance and we all need Christ.  It is not a sin to be tempted to sin.  Do your best to keep the commandments and repent fully when you fall short and all will be well in the end.  What we desire to be in our hearts and our willingness to work toward that is what's important.

8 hours ago, curious_mormon said:

Do I have a chance if I repent? Totally! Welcome home!

Hatred?  Ha!  Want me to write my sin list for you?  How much time do you have?

Go to church.

Read the word of God.

Pray.

Talk to those who can help you.

Stay on the path that you know to be true.

There.  Now you're just like the rest of us sinners.  You know what's right.  Stick with it.

Edited by Grunt

On 1/13/2018 at 2:01 PM, curious_mormon said:

I'm not trying to pawn you off, but a matter of this significance would be best brought up to your bishop, and he has a whole team of ecclesiastical leadership to help him best counsel you, his counselors, the Stake President and his counselors, and so on. I assure you that you're not the first member with this issue. 

I get that you're feeling bad about it, that amongst so many things are sins, I think most of us are in tune with our spirit to know sin makes us feel bad and makes us want to find help in dealing with it. That whole "it hurts when I stick my hand over a lit candle" thing. 

Do you have a chance if you repent? If my repent you mean just that and all that goes a long with repentance, of course, you have more than a chance, you have God's GRACE, grace trumps. I think you're in great hands with God in repentance. 

Psst. I don't hate you. 

Welcome here

On 1/13/2018 at 3:11 PM, Carborendum said:

Do you like it?  I worked really hard on it.  You could print it at a local print shop and post it over the mantle.  Do you have a fireplace?  If not, you could put it on the wall over the bed.  Of course, framing can be somewhat expensive if it is large enough to be the center piece over the bed.

Oh my!  I said "bed"... in this thread... I'll have to go hang my head in shame.

Sheesh! Can't take you anywhere nice!  <_<

On 1/13/2018 at 4:15 PM, NightSG said:

Just wait until you get to mid singles; plenty of women built like linebackers, with butch hairdos, moderate facial hair and no fashion sense.  Then you can pretend you've got both.

Oh wow! I was like Noooo he didn't just go there, but YUP, you sure did! Holy smokes! I totally read that in the voice of Larry The Cable Guy. 

Edited by Bad Karma

Just now, Bad Karma said:

Oh wow! I was like Noooo he didn't just go there, bt YUP, you sure did! Holy smokes! I totally red that in the voice of Larry The Cable Guy. 

That's because NightSG  IS Larry the Cable Guy.:D

On 1/13/2018 at 5:01 PM, curious_mormon said:

You know how LGBT folks say they are upset that people are so hateful toward them?  Well, it's disappointing that LGBT people think we Mormons are hateful.  We're not Westboro Baptist Church.

There's nothing different between what YOU must do to what any of us must do.  An unmarried person attracted to another person does the same thing - bridle the passions until marriage.  A married person attracted to another one not his/her spouse - bridle the passions.  Who you are attracted to does not define who you are.  What you decide to do about it defines who you are.  Just like an unmarried man who engaged in sexual activity with a woman or a married person engaging in sexual activity with somebody else... the process of repentance is the same... humble yourself before God, forsake your sins, and walk the path.  The church is not a church of perfect people.  It's a hospital for sinners.  Welcome to the club, and go to church.  It's easier to overcome weaknesses if you're with people doing the same.  Like an AA meeting of sorts.

12 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

You know how LGBT folks say they are upset that people are so hateful toward them?  Well, it's disappointing that LGBT people think we Mormons are hateful.  We're not Westboro Baptist Church.

There's nothing different between what YOU must do to what any of us must do.  An unmarried person attracted to another person does the same thing - bridle the passions until marriage.  A married person attracted to another one not his/her spouse - bridle the passions.  Who you are attracted to does not define who you are.  What you decide to do about it defines who you are.  Just like an unmarried man who engaged in sexual activity with a woman or a married person engaging in sexual activity with somebody else... the process of repentance is the same... humble yourself before God, forsake your sins, and walk the path.  The church is not a church of perfect people.  It's a hospital for sinners.  Welcome to the club, and go to church.  It's easier to overcome weaknesses if you're with people doing the same.  Like an AA meeting of sorts.

The above is both he long and short of it.  As with sexual transgression, these are all matters that are dealt with the same way, there is a repentance process that does not involve hate, but a healing from it the sin and reclamation of the transgressor to the church, a fullness of restoration, the return of the Holy Spirit (Which flees in the face of sin), and the return to standing within the fold. That sense of sameness between one member to another (Perfecting the saints). It's that person's road to return to a state that of which the church tirelessly strives to bring to equilibrium to every soul. 

Hatred for a person has no place in our church, we hate the sin, not the sinner. We're all sinners, our church caters to it's sinners (US!), the priority of the church in loving God is to afford every soul the ability and opportunity to seek God's grace, to perfect the saints (us again) that we may be spared the sorrows of sin. 

Who was it that said that "I love it when the church stinks of alcohol and cigarettes, it means the right people are here"?

Are you broken?

Are you at the end of your rope?

Tormented?

Prone to vice?

Crying woefully because the answers are beyond your reach?

Terribly alone and crushed?

Welcome to the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, we've been waiting for you. 

Sometimes it's hard to look at repentance as the blessing it is.  It's harder to repent for sins that are a higher magnitude but I would also say that the peace is greater when we do.  

I would surmise the reason you came here is because you want to repent but have not found the strength to meet with your bishop.  You may also be concerned about the consequences involved with your church membership.  My opinion "only my opinion" is that the church/Lord really works with people who have the desire to repent.  There are less excommunications, dis-fellowships etc. - only your bishop and potentially stake president will receive the revelation on what steps you need to take but you have to get there on your own first and once you are done I will tell you that there will be great peace.  Your sin can be forgotten you will be clean and available for all blessings.  Good luck brother!

On 1/13/2018 at 4:11 PM, Carborendum said:

Well yeah thanks! Now you make wanna kill myself. I'm not saying I am, but I want to. Oh...so much for "being like Jesus"....this religion is absolute BS.

Edited by curious_mormon

• pam locked this topic