I'm attracted to both Man and Woman...

13 minutes ago, curious_mormon said:

Well yeah thanks! Now you make wanna kill myself. I'm not saying I am, but I want to. Oh...so much for "being like Jesus"....this religion is absolute BS.

Psst, curious_mormon... I don't sense a /s on your post.  So in case this is truly not /s let me just whisper to you that @Carborendum's post definitely was a /s.  High-level super saiyan sarcasm.  His sense of humor is drier than James Bond's martini.

And, in case this post is /s then let me just whisper to you that we try not to call religion BS even sarcastically...

Edited by anatess2

1 hour ago, curious_mormon said:

Well yeah thanks! Now you make wanna kill myself. I'm not saying I am, but I want to. Oh...so much for "being like Jesus"....this religion is absolute BS.

I'm really having trouble figuring out why you'd react this way. 

On 1/13/2018 at 4:01 PM, curious_mormon said:

Now flood my board with hatred.

If you meant it half sarcastic half humorously, then why would you not expect that my post was likewise posted with sarcasm and humor?

To post something like your post sarcastically and then take my reaction seriously doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Edited by Guest

9 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

To post something like your post sarcastically and then take my reaction seriously doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Seems like that should go without saying. But sadly, in my experience, many such things need to be said anyway.

4 hours ago, Carborendum said:

I'm really having trouble figuring out why you'd react this way. 

If you meant it half sarcastic half humorously, then why would you not expect that my post was likewise posted with sarcasm and humor?

4 hours ago, Vort said:

Seems like that should go without saying. But sadly, in my experience, many such things need to be said anyway.

Now that I think about it... it's highly possible that he wasn't being sarcastic.  He probably TRULY thought we'd flood him with hate.

Interesting...

2 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Now that I think about it... it's highly possible that he wasn't being sarcastic.  He probably TRULY thought we'd flood him with hate.

And so he proceeded to give an invitation to do so?  That also makes little sense.

And beside that, who on earth didn't realize that my picture stating "Flood of Hate" actually wasn't intended to fill his thread with hate?  What hatred did I actually post?  None.

Any way you cut it, I have no idea why he reacted that way.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

And so he proceeded to give an invitation to do so?  That also makes little sense.

And beside that, who on earth didn't realize that my picture stating "Flood of Hate" actually wasn't intended to fill his thread with hate?  What hatred did I actually post?  None.

When people with a chip on their shoulder are looking to take offense, they will always find a reason, 100% of the time. God himself could not (and does not) avoid their spite. So you're in good company.

8 hours ago, Carborendum said:

It could make sense to me. 

For example...

I have done a LOT of work in the Middle East.  They tend to be a pretty moral bunch in relation to what you find in the US...most likely because the laws in their nations are EXCESSIVELY HARSH.  The punishments mete out for crimes are what most would consider extremes.  This is something that I need to be careful about mentioning in the US in some crowds of people and some groups and organizations.

For example, I go to a group of individuals that are convinced that everyone from Saudi Arabia is a terrorist and commit every sort of sin possible.  If I go to talk to them and tell about my experiences in Saudi Arabia...I probably would have some expectations.  I expect if I said...actually...most people in Saudi Arabia are a LOT like we are, they love their families, try to follow the law, and in many ways are more moral than we find people in America to be.  It is far safer among the citizens of Saudi Arabia if you are their guests, then it is being a guest for someone in the US typically.

In that light, I would seriously say that I would expect I might (and most ironically) get lynched.  At the least I'd have a lot of people cry foul and shout me down, and tell me all sorts of reasons why I was wrong in their opinion.  If a little elevated, they'd physically accost me, and toss me out.  It just gets worse from there.

Is that being light hearted?  Is that sarcasm?  Not on my part. 

Now if I knew this, and said...I'm going to put this out there, but I expect when I do...this crowd is going to be upset and get rid of me if they can...is that joking?  It's more being cognizant of the situation and saying what you expect will happen if you say or do certain things.

I expect the OP's statement was more akin to this then being sarcastic or humorous...at least in my reading of their post.

That said, I saw your post as simply being a humor post.  It was a light-hearted attempt at levity.  That said, I'm not sure how or if it was taken seriously or as humor by the OP, as the OP wasn't absolutely clear in their post.  If they took it seriously...I can see why they may be...not happy...with your post.  If they took it seriously, it may have offended them deeply...even if they had already expected something like that.  If taken seriously, it simply fulfilled their expectations (much like being lynched in the above situation I mentioned above if I did such a thing) of what would happen when they tried to discuss it.

On the otherhand, the OP may have just been responding in kind...with that same sort of weird humor.  It's hard to tell.  I hope it's more of this (responding in sarcastic humor in similar light) than the former where they were offended, but I couldn't tell from their post.

Edited by JohnsonJones

11 hours ago, Carborendum said:

It's an extreme form of passive aggressiveness or a bait stemming from a large chip on the shoulder.  It didn't matter that you didn't post hatred.  Check out my thread on Monster Paint.

I run into a certain kind of person on Facebook from time to time.  It's someone who gives drama in every post, and the victim mentality is the dominant theme of their online presence.  Life is hard, and there's no help for them because everyone is out to get them, and they don't deserve help anyway because they are horrible people who don't deserve anything better, and everyone is a horrible person to start with so it doesn't matter in the first place.  It goes on and on.  Across years, for some.  

I've never met one in real life, so I don't know what drives people to post stuff like this and just stay there and not get better.  My best guesses include:
* Overlydramatic teenager with poor self esteem.
* People battling genuine mental illnesses like depression, or PTSD, or even maybe some form of schizophrenia or psychosis. 
* Folks lost in the impact of some serious trauma from the past or present, who are in between valid worldviews.
* People who lie to get attention, confusing sympathy for love (or even confusing criticism for love).  
* Dank meme spewing Edgelords in it for an ironic smirk.

Anyway, curious_mormon, not sure how much of this applies to you, or two what extent, but your life is in your hands.  I hope you figure out how to live your life at peace.

Edited by NeuroTypical

• pam locked this topic