Live Broadcast on Tuesday January 16th

pam

SALT LAKE CITY — President Russell M. Nelson, president of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, will broadcast a live message to members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on Tuesday at 9 a.m. Mountain Standard Time.

That broadcast will be followed by a press conference at 10 a.m. MST.

Both events will be shared on all church broadcast, internet and social media channels in 29 languages.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865695024/President-Russell-M-Nelson-to-make-special-announcement-Tuesday.html

7 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I'm guessing this will be the formal time to start calling him the Prophet of the Church?

But would he be announcing it himself?  "Hey everybody, I'm the prophet now."  Just doesn't seem normal to me.  I am thinking it will be something else, like a new program, or possibly even that the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles will remain the governing body of the Church for a while.  Either way, I am very curious to know what it will be.

10 minutes ago, person0 said:

But would he be announcing it himself?  "Hey everybody, I'm the prophet now."  Just doesn't seem normal to me.  I am thinking it will be something else, like a new program, or possibly even that the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles will remain the governing body of the Church for a while.  Either way, I am very curious to know what it will be.

It's entirely possible that the meeting will begin with President Oaks making the announcement and introducing President Nelson. We'll just have to wait and see how it all falls out.

It will be interesting I think.

In theory, I believe Russell M. Nelson would already be considered the Prophet of the church, but had not yet been officially appointed or voted on (unanimous vote by the Quorum) previously.  If the vote was held, I think it may be shown at this upcoming meeting.  Or it could be something entirely different.

Edited by JohnsonJones
Spelling

26 minutes ago, zil said:

Anybody remember the procedure they followed when President Monson became prophet?  (My recall isn't that good.)

I decided to do some digging.  It turns out this is actually completely normal.  President Hinckley died on 1/27/2008, Monson was announced on 2/4/2008.

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/thomas-s.-monson-named-16th-church-president

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/22995094/ns/us_news-faith/t/thomas-monson-becomes-mormon-leader/#.WlzA4qjtzs0

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=2602125

https://sogratefultobemormon.wordpress.com/2008/02/04/new-first-presidency-announced-in-the-lds-church/

I suppose I had not remembered the press conference for Pres. Monson and assumed this was unusual.  However, it appears this will likely be a standard announcement, and that the next president/prophet has already been called.  That said, any sort of shakeup right now might be an opportunity to awaken the procrastinators!  I'm still voting for a shakeup!  :D

Edited by person0

2 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

I'm remembering press conferences for Hinkley and Monson, but not the hour long message thing before. 

I suspect this is just a matter of it being technically and financially feasible to reach out to all the members of the Church prior to going to the press.  When President Monson was announced, I don't there was much in the way of live streaming yet; I don't think the Church was sending out mass e-mails yet; at the time live Church-wide communication was broadcast over the satellite network.  I think they are having the member broadcast simply because they can relatively easily and with minimal cost, unlike scheduling satellite time.

I think it's a nice touch and plan to have a window open on my second monitor at work to watch.

Another thing to consider is the following: When President Hunter died in 1995, he was succeeded as Church president by Gordon B. Hinckley. At that time, President Hinckley had been serving in the First Presidency since 1981 -- fourteen years before becoming the Church president. At President Hinckley's death in 2008, he was succeeded by Thomas S. Monson, who had then been in the First Presidency since 1994 -- fourteen years before becoming the Church president. So since the mid-1990s, the Church's president has come into the position already having extensive experience of well over a decade in performing the duties of the First Presidency.

President Nelson is the first Church president since President Hunter in 1994, nearly 24 years ago, to become Church president without extensive -- in fact, without any -- experience operating in the First Presidency. Assuming President Nelson retains Elders Eyring and Uchtdorf as counselors, he will have plenty of experience to draw from. But coming in "cold", as it were, President Nelson might have in mind some new, outside-the-box ideas he wants to try. Perhaps this small conference is one of those.

Or perhaps not. Just a thought.

Was anyone else impressed with President Nelson today?  He is ONE SHARP cookie.  He gave that entire talk without the use of papers and notes on his lap or from what I could tell, in front of him.  That was a LONG talk to say off of memory.  He may be old but he is still extremely smart and alert.  I'd say he is in better shape than several other members of the twelve. 

I also can say that I had affirmation that he is the prophet chosen for our current time.  I believe he is the prophet of God not just because of his seniority in the quorum, but also because he has been chosen by the Lord for this position, prepared from his youth and through his life to fulfill being the prophet, seer, and revelator and president of the church at this time.  It is an exciting time to be in the church.

4 hours ago, Midwest LDS said:

I was excited to see President Oaks in the new First Presidency although I will miss Elder Uchtdorf in the same position. President Oaks has always been one of my favorite speakers in conference.

The bad news: We'll only hear from Elder Uchtdorf once per General Conference for the foreseeable future.

The good news: We'll be hearing multiple times from President Oaks at General Conference for the foreseeable future.

3 minutes ago, Vort said:

The bad news: We'll only hear from Elder Uchtdorf once per General Conference for the foreseeable future.

The good news: We'll be hearing multiple times from President Oaks at General Conference for the foreseeable future.

Agreed. I will miss having multiple talks from Elder Uchtdorf, he is one of my favorite speakers, but I am also really looking forward to lots of talks from President Oaks. I love his straitforward, to the point messages. I always think of Nephi saying "I glory in plainess" when I hear President Oaks speak.

I haven't been able to watch the broadcast, but did see the announcement.  Interestingly enough, the three men who currently make up the First Presidency are the only Apostles I have had any sort of personal contact with.

When I was 16 or 17, President Eyring spoke at my stake conference.  I remember he called my childhood branch president into the stake presidency, among other things.  I may at some point find an opportunity to share with you my experiences from that conference.

When I was about 25, President Oaks came to speak at my stake conference (different stake).  At the time, his brother was the president of the Winter Quarters temple, the architect for which was the stake president at the time.  Our Single's Ward was asked to form a choir for the Sunday session, and I ended up sitting behind him the entire time, and the only thing I could think about was that my face was probably visible whenever anyone was speaking because I was right behind the podium.  He also held a meeting (either before or after) for those who were investigating or just coming back to church.  My sister qualified as the latter, and as I was her ride, I sat in.  I remember him talking about tithing and how 100% of our income will not get us as far as 90% income and 100% blessings.  I'm sure I shook his hand, but I don't remember it.

This past August, President Nelson and his wife visited a neighboring stake and they broadcasted a women's session and a youth session on closed circuit broadcast.  Because I'm in the YW Presidency, I watched both.  Sister Nelson is incredible!  She literally talked for over two hours total between the two broadcasts, and I was ready to listen for another two!  President Nelson spoke to the youth, specifically the young men, and warned them about (in the future) when they have a bad day at work to not take it out on their family.  "If you come home and have to kick the cat, kick the cat!" He of course clarified to not actually kick cats, but emphasized that, no matter how frustrated you are, don't take that frustration out on your family.

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

Let’s send @MormonGator on a speaking tour! Like Dickens and Mark Twain. 

As long as I can bring my dog, I'm all for it. 

1 hour ago, mordorbund said:

And just like that, I've opened a KickStarter account to get @MormonGator to speak to your stake.

"Mr. Buckley, if you actually win the election, what will you do?"
"Demand a recount."

zen like layers of meaning with this one, @mordorbund :P