Like Gold

Jimmy Tucker

4 hours ago, Jimmy Tucker said:

Sorry to pop your bubble but he definitely is not. 

Then why does the psalmist record:

If the Army and the Navy ever look on Heaven’s scenes, they will find the streets are guarded by United States Marines.

If Jesus isn't in charge of Heaven's street patrols, I don't know who is.

On 2/7/2018 at 3:27 PM, Jimmy Tucker said:

If Jesus were here now would he join the military? Yes or no very simple question .. I look forward to your answer. 

Sorry for not answering your question. I'm assuming the reason you asked, was as a way of justifying your unrighteous judgment of Christians in the military.   If Jesus wouldn't join, then why would we - am I in the ballpark here?  Well, I'll answer:

The short answer, of course, is no.  He would not be a part of any earthly military run by any earthly government.  But we do know a bit about what He will do when He returns: 

...when the veil of the covering of my temple, in my tabernacle, which hideth the earth, shall be taken off, and all flesh shall see me together. And every corruptible thing, both of man, or of the beasts of the field, or of the fowls of the heavens, or of the fish of the sea, that dwells upon all the face of the earth, shall be consumed; And also that of element shall melt with fervent heat; and all things shall become new, that my knowledge and glory may dwell upon all the earth.  And in that day the enmity of man, and the enmity of beasts, yea, the enmity of all flesh, shall cease from before my face.

For not many days hence and the earth shall tremble and reel to and fro as a drunken man; and the sun shall hide his face, and shall refuse to give light; and the moon shall be bathed in blood; and the stars shall become exceedingly angry, and shall cast themselves down as a fig that falleth from off a fig tree. And after your testimony cometh wrath and indignation upon the people. For after your testimony cometh the testimony of earthquakes, that shall cause groanings in the midst of her, and men shall fall upon the ground and shall not be able to stand. And also cometh the testimony of the voice of thunderings, and the voice of lightnings, and the voice of tempests, and the voice of the waves of the sea heaving themselves beyond their bounds. And all things shall be in commotion; and surely, men’s hearts shall fail them; for fear shall come upon all people.

For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall. And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do this, saith the Lord of hosts.

So the long answer, is when He returns, it'll be with a sword, and He will rain down death and destruction of all wicked.  I suppose we can speculate if He, while taking up the throne and becoming the government of the earth, will use earthly militaries to carry out this mass destruction, or if He'll use a far greater heavenly force for all the killing.  Reading about it in scripture, we're not exactly sure how literally to take it, but it sounds a heck of a lot more deadly and effective than any earthly military action.  When He's done, every knee shall bow and every tongue confess He is the Christ, because anyone who refused to, will be dead.

Edited by NeuroTypical

5 hours ago, Jimmy Tucker said:

What verse of Psalms is that? ?  I respect your loyalty and passion and service I truly mean that. 

Well thank you. The most heavily-armed unit I ever belonged to was a Boy Scout troop. But I'll send your respect on to others that I know.

In seriousness though, a distinction between Mormon beliefs and some that you've espoused here is that there is a sort of tangibility to the Mormon interpretation of scripture.

The scriptures prophesy of the gathering of Israel. Joseph Smith looks around and finds some in the ancient Americas and some right here in modern America.

The scriptures speak of a temple getting built in the last days. Joseph begins to learn how a post-Mosaic temple functions.

The scriptures speak of the city Zion being established. Joseph Smith starts looking into city building, governments, and earthly laws.

While God could simply transform stones into the seed of Israel, construct a temple, and build and run His own government (either single-handedly or staffed by angels) we find more often that God partners with His people on earth to accomplish His ends. And He even does this while His people are surrounded by worldliness.

In the case of the military, there is not a systematic approach towards that, although @NeuroTypical will tell you there's room in the Book of Mormon for covenant objectors to live alongside soldiers. In this world, the Church recognizes that we live in a world where nations seek to protect their interests (and sometimes that includes just and holy principles and sometimes it doesn't) but so long as we are in such a world of thorns we'll cultivate and tend our garden as best we can. For Mormons in the military (regardless of country) the Church has printed some materials to remind these saint-soldiers to keep their covenants.