Like Gold

Jimmy Tucker

1 minute ago, Jimmy Tucker said:

If we're gonna join military groups or become politicians then let's just ram our heads against a wall.. Same result. 

I'm sensing some sarcasm.. I'm just trying to understand certain belief didn't want it to reach or become an argument or sarcastic remarks back and forth so I'm sorry if anyone has taken my comments the wrong way. 

54 minutes ago, Jimmy Tucker said:

Well I don't know them personally and I'm in no position to judge..

"My line if logic is that I think any Christian should be a conscientious objective that's all."

So, are you backing off of this judgment then?  Are you admitting to the possibility that my attack chopper ward member, who has rained down death and destruction on the enemy, could very well be a good disciple and a fine example of a Christian?

The good thing about this life (the good/bad) is that it is a mere speck of sand in the vast expanse of eternity.  Viewing what happens on earth and who does what to whom can be difficult and blurry, but those views really can come into focus with an eternal perspective.  

1 hour ago, Jimmy Tucker said:

I should have said Christian sorry 

How many of them are Christian?  I don't know either.  I would presume there are Muslims in there too, especially if they're from the South.  The President (head of Armed Forces) is a non-practicing Catholic descended from Muslim ancestry with some of his children Muslim and some Catholic.  Anyway, we don't give religious litmus test on the military application.

On 1/27/2018 at 4:39 AM, Jimmy Tucker said:

I wan't to haha that but again this forum is so confusing.. Where is the haha face? 

You'll find a thumbs-up button on the lower-right hand of the post.  You can click on this thumbs-up button to "Like" the post or you can hover your mouse over it and it will show you other options - one of which is the "Haha" which is the second button from the left next to the "Thank" button (which looks like a trophy).

I went and "haha" your post so you can see what the haha button looks like (it should show at least 1 haha).

On 1/27/2018 at 4:47 AM, Jimmy Tucker said:

So why do we spend all this time praying.. Asking God to protect us etc.. Going to church.. If our fate is that were going to be attacked and shot by some enemy? We should all just stop the worship and join the armed forces and train so as to defend ourselves to save our own lives.  sounds like you have no faith at all. 

The gospel is not about letting the world live its own journey while we seclude ourselves from it.  Rather, the gospel is about principles to govern how we live in this world.  We ask God to protect us but not by having Him do all the work.  Rather, we learn his principles and protect ourselves. 

It's like that story about the guy who got shipwrecked in an uninhabited island.  He prayed earnestly that God would save him.  A rowboat came by and the rower asked him to get in his boat and the guy did not do so because he says God will save him.  Then a sailboat came by and the sailor asked him to get in his boat and the guy did not do so because he says God will save him.  A motorboat came by and the pilot asked him to get in the boat and the guy did not do so because he says God will save him.  The guy was on his deathbed dying of hunger when he wailed at God for not saving him.  God then told him - he sent a rowboat, a sailboat, and even a motorboat!

The story is important not just to show that God helps us through other people.  It is also very important to show that we are instruments of God and we need to be ready to serve when He inspires us.

Now, I understand if you believe that the Government or Military Institutions cannot possibly be instruments of God.  After all, world history has shown us how the Monarchies of the ages have wielded corrupted power making their armies instruments of evil.  But, I don't hold this position looking at the US and Philippines today.  I believe that there are good and bad people in positions of power but I do not believe that the United States Government and the United States Military as a whole are bad institutions that can't possibly be instruments of God.  Philippine history has proven otherwise.

There's this movie called Hacksaw Ridge where a Seventh Day Adventist - who refused to carry a gun - still found it his Christian duty to serve in the military.  He joined as a medic and ended up saving over 70 lives during the battle at Hacksaw Ridge.

Edited by anatess2

2 hours ago, Jimmy Tucker said:

I'm sensing some sarcasm.. I'm just trying to understand certain belief didn't want it to reach or become an argument or sarcastic remarks back and forth so I'm sorry if anyone has taken my comments the wrong way. 

It can be hard to be Christian and a combat soldier.  I support those who are in our Military, but I also understand why there are many who would choose not to be or even to be conscientious objectors. 

Something that I think many in our nation do not understand these days is that when our soldiers and marines fight for our freedoms, it is not just for those like me or those who are in the military, but for ALL people in our nation and all our beliefs.  As such, I am okay with someone being a conscientious objector, or even more so, not wishing to do such things.

In the Old Testament, it tells us that we should not kill.  Some have interpreted that as murder, but there are those that take it as written in the KJV...that they should not kill.  If one is courageous enough to stand up for their beliefs in the face of peer pressure and other degrees, I think that opinion probably deserves respect.

As I and others have said, the LDS church does not dictate to us what we should think or believe in this manner, but it is up to each of us.  The Book of Mormon also shows various individuals with different ideas and thoughts on these matters.  Captain Moroni and Gideon surely seem like they were professional soldiers in their time.  They were seen as stalwarts in the Gospel.  The Nephites, in general, as of themselves, however, it seems normally mustered up to fight only when in the defense of their lands, their liberty, and their families. 

However, one of the most respected people in the Book of Mormon are the People of Ammon who buried their weapons of war and vowed never to fight again.  When their enemies came upon them, they prayed instead of fighting and would rather be slain than defend themselves.  It obviously took great courage to do so.  We see them as a great people and a great example.

I think there is a basis in the Scriptures for those who choose to be a conscientious objector or hold it as their highest ideal.

However, I do not think that the church condemns any of those who are like me or my children that support or see the military as an option or a choice in our life.

Edited by JohnsonJones

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic
On 1/29/2018 at 11:05 AM, NeuroTypical said:

"My line if logic is that I think any Christian should be a conscientious objective that's all."

So, are you backing off of this judgment then?  Are you admitting to the possibility that my attack chopper ward member, who has rained down death and destruction on the enemy, could very well be a good disciple and a fine example of a Christian?

Do you mean he could be a good disciple now after the war or while the war was going on? 

On 1/29/2018 at 11:52 AM, anatess2 said:

How many of them are Christian?  I don't know either.  I would presume there are Muslims in there too, especially if they're from the South.  The President (head of Armed Forces) is a non-practicing Catholic descended from Muslim ancestry with some of his children Muslim and some Catholic.  Anyway, we don't give religious litmus test on the military application.

Actually they do ask your religion when joining they put it on your dog tags 

49 minutes ago, Jimmy Tucker said:

Do you mean he could be a good disciple now after the war or while the war was going on? 

I'm asking you if YOU think it's possible to be a good disciple and be this guy.  Either now, or while he was engaged in the action of pressing buttons that resulted in the deaths of his fellow humans. 

If you think it's possible, you're declining to pass judgment. 
If you don't think it's possible, you're passing judgment.  

Because again, your first statement was "My line if logic is that I think any Christian should be a conscientious objective that's all.".   And your second statement was "Well I don't know them personally and I'm in no position to judge.." 

And I'm confused about what you are actually saying.  

Edited by NeuroTypical

On 1/29/2018 at 9:31 AM, Jimmy Tucker said:

I have respect for anybody who would join the military and put their life on the line.. And yes it provide good direction and gives people skills.. 

My line if logic is that I think any Christian should be a conscientious objective that's all.  and that wall has many names that died in vain also and you know it.  the majority of the wars weren't justified. I mean we get one life so I'm not risking it for some politicians. 

And are you implying if a person is against war or a conscientious objector they can't be patriotic? 

4 hours ago, Jimmy Tucker said:

I figured that right after a pressed submit... So there's only 1 religion in the Philippines? 

Mostly Catholic, a few Muslims, Protestants, and others.  We even have a home-grown Christian religion.  But the military and even the police don't have things like Prison Chaplains or other religion-based services.  If you die, you get sent back to your family who will take care of the burial and all religious ceremonies and the like.  The military doesn't do a "military burial" ceremony like they do in the US. 

1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

Mostly Catholic, a few Muslims, Protestants, and others.  We even have a home-grown Christian religion.  But the military and even the police don't have things like Prison Chaplains or other religion-based services.  If you die, you get sent back to your family who will take care of the burial and all religious ceremonies and the like.  The military doesn't do a "military burial" ceremony like they do in the US. 

Just now, Jimmy Tucker said:

Understood thanks 

6 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

I'm asking you if YOU think it's possible to be a good disciple and be this guy.  Either now, or while he was engaged in the action of pressing buttons that resulted in the deaths of his fellow humans. 

If you think it's possible, you're declining to pass judgment. 
If you don't think it's possible, you're passing judgment.  

Because again, your first statement was "My line if logic is that I think any Christian should be a conscientious objective that's all.".   And your second statement was "Well I don't know them personally and I'm in no position to judge.." 

And I'm confused about what you are actually saying.  

I'm not passing any judgement on staing my opinion e

Understood thanks 

Understood thanks 

I'm stating my opinion which may or may not be fact.. To answer your question no I don't think someone can be a good disciple  or follower of Christ and be in today's military my opinion is that's hypocritical. 

"no I don't think someone can be a good disciple  or follower of Christ and be in today's military "

"I'm not passing any judgement on staing my opinion"

So, how do I put this lightly.  Hey Jimmy - when you state that opinion, you are passing judgment.  That's what passing judgment looks like.   On top of that, your judgment is unrighteous because you're opining about the worthiness of your fellow man, their standing as disciple, their acceptability as a Christian.  That is judgment reserved for the Lord, and we sin when we take it on ourselves to do so.   I would like to suggest that you read this.  It might help.  

“Judge Not” and Judging By Elder Dallin H. Oaks Of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles

Edited by NeuroTypical