1 Nephi, Chapter 9

serapha

A question concerning the book of mormon....

Brant Gardner writes...

"In the original version of the text, which separated chapters but not verses, this information is tacked on to the end of the Lehi vision, and the Nephi vision begins the next chapter. The placement of the verses there confirms that these serve as some soft of transition, but what kind?"

My question is this...

What was the structure of the original bom? Was it only chapters with the colophons? Who decided to divide up the chapters and make verses, or as this text cites... who changed the chapters?

Is there an article somewhere that gives the early history and the changes, and why the changes were felt to be necessary.

The bom, being written in something described as "reformed Egyptian" obviously differs from the Hebrew and early which contained no punctuation. All of the chapters breaks and verse identities were added later to the Bible, sometimes changing the intent of the text by breaking the flow of the text into chapters (Matthew 23 flowing into Chapter 24, for instance).

2 And now, as I have spoken concerning these plates, behold they are not the plates upon which I make a full account of the history of my people; for the plates upon which I make a full account of my people I have given the name of Nephi; wherefore, they are called the plates of Nephi, after mine own name; and these plates also are called the plates of Nephi.

These are the brass plates, both large and small... so what is on the gold plates?

2 And now, as I have spoken concerning these plates, behold they are not the plates upon which I make a full account of the history of my people; for the plates upon which I make a full account of my people I have given the name of Nephi; wherefore, they are called the plates of Nephi, after mine own name; and these plates also are called the plates of Nephi.

The timeframe at the bottom of the page is 600-592 BC, and I read somewhere that Nephi wrote this book about 30 years later, while in mesomerica... Are all the wars identified in this passage "done" within that 30-year time span?

~serapha~