All the Single Ladies

seashmore

(Forgive the earworm.)

Since the calling of the new First Presidency, I've done some thinking about these men and who I know them to be. I've also thought about their families, specifically their wives, and it occurred to me that both Pres. Nelson and Pres. Oaks are widowers who have remarried. Not only that, but both of their wives navigated the LDS world as adult singles prior to their marriage. (Sister Oaks literally wrote a book on it. I haven't read it, and therefore cannot personally recommend it, but she wrote it nonetheless.)

So when these two men speak to or about LDS single sisters, they're living with someone who knows. They have become one with one who understands what it's like to sit in lessons that probably don't directly apply to your current life's circumstances. They share their most intimate moments with someone who has spent years of their life without a hand to hold at night.

Even though these men may differ in their demeanor, their methods, and their style in delivering their messages, I believe them each fully capable of understanding his wife's circumstances prior to their marriage. I know for certain how grateful Pres. Nelson is for Wendy, and how much he respects and reveres her thoughts and opinions. When they visited my area this summer, he called her next to him at the pulpit during his final words and delivered his apostolic blessing with his arm around her. 

Edited by seashmore
typos

2 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

How, pray tell, am I supposed to respect a website where the name of the person they're quoting is spelled wrong in the title but right in the article.  Seriously, it's not that hard to make them match.  :rolleyes:

Jerkily yours,

The-Person-Who-Gets-Compared-to-Genocidal-Germans-for-Upholding-Literacy-as-a-Virtue

2 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

Meanwhile, it would be more interesting to know the number older than 29.  It's a completely different thing to be single in the church at 18 or 24 than at 30+.

1 hour ago, zil said:

Meanwhile, it would be more interesting to know the number older than 29.  It's a completely different thing to be single in the church at 18 or 24 than at 30+.

There are varying degrees of singleness, to be sure. Single-never married, single due to divorce, single due to death. And let's not forget single with children, in all of the above flavors.

2 hours ago, zil said:

How, pray tell, am I supposed to respect a website where the name of the person they're quoting is spelled wrong in the title but right in the article.  Seriously, it's not that hard to make them match.  :rolleyes:

Jerkily yours,

The-Person-Who-Gets-Compared-to-Genocidal-Germans-for-Upholding-Literacy-as-a-Virtue

Like most websites, LDS Living could use a good editor.

I read this right after I read the first post President Nelson's wrote on Facebook as President , I found it interesting that he specifically addresses the women of the church 

"My dear friends, we are thankful for the prayers that have been offered for us. As I said yesterday, I declare my devotion to God our Eternal Father and to His Son, Jesus Christ. I know Them, love Them, and pledge to serve Them—and you—with every remaining breath of my life.

Now, whatever your concerns, whatever your challenges, I wish to assure you that there is a place for you in this, the Lord’s Church. Our Father in Heaven cherishes His children and wants each of us to return home to Him.

To women, I say: whatever your calling, whatever your circumstances, we need your impressions, your insights, and your inspiration. We need your strength!

To you who are young, please know that you were born for this time. You are a chosen generation, fore-determined by God to do a remarkable work—to help prepare the people of this world for the Second Coming of the Lord. We need your strength and faith.

To anyone who finds themselves in unideal circumstances, to anyone who is struggling with doubts or fears, to anyone who has stepped off the path, I invite you, with all the hope in my heart, to stay on the path. Together, we can walk the covenant path. We must look forward to the future with complete faith in our Lord Jesus Christ, whose Church this is"