Church calls on leaders to create policy for Dreamers

pam

SALT LAKE CITY — The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints called on national leaders Friday to create policies that provide hope and opportunities for "Dreamers."

"Dreamers" are illegal immigrants who entered the U.S. as minors. The DREAM Act was a legislative proposal introduced in 2001, in part by Utah Sen. Orrin Hatch, to grant those immigrants a path to citizenship.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46246534&nid=148&title=lds-church-calls-on-national-leaders-to-create-policy-aiding-dreamers

3 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think KSL did a good job of summarizing and explaining what the church's statement actually says.

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/daca-statement-january-2018

I don't know.  I see KSL saying pretty much the same thing and using the same quotes.  Just in different order.

Guest LiterateParakeet
32 minutes ago, pam said:

I don't know.  I see KSL saying pretty much the same thing and using the same quotes.  Just in different order.

I'm with you, Pam, and I LOVE this.  Let's keep families together.  

4 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think KSL did a good job of summarizing and explaining what the church's statement actually says.

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/daca-statement-january-2018

I thought it was a fairly accurate summary. The Church even took the extraordinary step of naming the so-called "Dreamers" when they wrote:

Specifically, we call upon our national leaders to create policies that provide hope and opportunities for those, sometimes referred to as “Dreamers,” who grew up here from a young age and for whom this country is their home.

I'm always a little bit uncomfortable when I find myself on the same side as the US political left. In my experience, that means there's a good chance I'm an idiot. But in this case, as in a select few others, I think the knee-jerk "conservatives" on the right are missing the boat. (No pun intended.) The fact that the Church appears to agree with me solidifies my confidence in this particular position, even if media types and other leftists agree with me.

On 1/26/2018 at 4:26 PM, Vort said:

I'm always a little bit uncomfortable when I find myself on the same side as the US political left.

I just felt the need to drink expensive coffee at a hole-in-the-wall cafe and protest outside the nearest government building... hopefully this topic fades and I can scoot back to the right where I can go back to shooting shotguns and blaming illigals immigrants for all my problems.

we call upon our national leaders to create policies that provide hope and opportunities for those...

I have no problem with providing them with "Permanent Resident" status under some specific set of circumstances.  But full citizenship is a bit much.

Edited by Guest

14 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

Nobody saw the clause in POTUS' plan--one Norwegian gets US citizenship for every dreamer . . .  :D

I thought it was 1/4 mile of wall with the full surveillance implement complete with tunnel sensors... :)

Edited by anatess2

On 1/26/2018 at 6:08 PM, LiterateParakeet said:

I'm with you, Pam, and I LOVE this.  Let's keep families together.  

On 1/26/2018 at 6:47 PM, LiterateParakeet said:

Welcome to the left @Vort, even if its just temporary, LOL.

Let's keep families together doesn't necessarily mean they are together IN THE USA.  They could be together in Mexico, Guatemala, Philippines, etc. instead.  So, keeping families together is not exclusive to the "leftist" position.

Edited by anatess2

This dreamer thing is a bunch of b.s.. the. Majority contribute nothing to society, are members of gangs or are flat out just common criminals. The balance, well they are fine, but need to get in line. I got a dreamer attempt to murder me a decade ago. He got away but I openly hope he died a miserable death somewhere at the hands of his fellow drug dealing dreamers. Documented gang member,married, had little kids and all...Just living the dream.

I grew up in a heavy illegal alien populated area. On occasion some go forth and do good. Most just export their money to Mexico and just exist here. Our local Spanish branches are full of illegals, but most are probably good people, but here illegally nonetheless. I just do nt know why we provide cover for them.