USA Guaranteed income?

Sunday21

Just now, Sunday21 said:

I have a winter coat that has hood which is like a tunnel. And ten several layers of polypropylene! But all that stuff is expensive! 

Try a dead rabbit: 273x342_Rabbit_Full_Fur_Russian_Ushanka_

Or a dead fox: img07082737.jpg?fitin=330:330

Of course, the rabbit has ear and neck flaps, so that might be more versatile.  I'm telling you, those things will keep you surprisingly warm - don't even bother if it's above freezing - you'll sweat to death.

29 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

The idea is that you can now take a badly paying job eg internship and work you way up. Previously you might have been afraid to take a job in case you lost benefits

So the idea is not to provide a living wage, but to supplement minimum wage jobs so they become living wage jobs? I hadn't heard that angle before.

2 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

So the idea is not to provide a living wage, but to supplement minimum wage jobs so they become living wage jobs? I hadn't heard that angle before.

I think the idea is that GI helps you to get off welfare or off the streets or to upgrade your skills or pay for antidepressants so that you can get a higher salary and pay taxes. But the US program may have some other objectives that I don’t know about. 

7 minutes ago, BeNotDeceived said:

I like free food! :P

Kinda like WIC for everyone, but only the best food, where best means healthy. If you want to eat crap, then do it on your own dime. A daily calorie limit is one idea, but some fats are good so Dr. Gundry with assist from Drs Mercola and Lustig would form the First Presidency of Food. :D

Hi BeNOT! Good to have u here!

Guest MormonGator
53 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

I already give a guy $70 monthly. He's supposed to give you the $50 and make sure you don't use it to buy weed and beer (let's face it, he doesn't do a good job). I'd rather cut out the middleman and give you $50 directly (it's cheaper for me, better for you), but right now I'm legally required to give it to this other guy. I hear a rumor that the $50 plan is getting some traction to replace the $70 plan.

My favorite part about this is that people like me getting the 50$ don't even have to thank you for it. After all, we're entitled to it simply because we exist. 

35 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

Hi BeNOT! Good to have u here!

Hey Su2!, thanks for the warm welcome; it's Great to see you too.

Besides the First Presidency of Free Food, perhaps there is the Quorum of Twelve Twiddlers. Jamie Oliver may be the senior Apostle of Appetite, who is charged to lead the Twelve Twiddlers, to find a way to pay for the FREE FOOD FOR EVERYONE.

Who else would make a great twiddler of the thumbs and supreme taste tester of gourmet grub, that is actually fit for human consumption?

28 minutes ago, zil said:

If you two were charitable, you'd give me $100.

You get $50. If you want more, you'll have to get a job. But since you know you'll get that $50 regardless, you can be choosier about which job you get. You can get minimum wage to give you just a little more, or you can get an internship (paid or unpaid) to move you to a more lucrative career. Or you can even decide that it's not about the money and volunteer at a local non-profit.

1 minute ago, mordorbund said:

You get $50. If you want more, you'll have to get a job. But since you know you'll get that $50 regardless, you can be choosier about which job you get. You can get minimum wage to give you just a little more, or you can get an internship (paid or unpaid) to move you to a more lucrative career. Or you can even decide that it's not about the money and volunteer at a local non-profit.

That doesn't sound like you being charitable. ;)

2 minutes ago, zil said:

That doesn't sound like you being charitable. ;)

Very well, as productivity goes up and the economy improves you can have more.

* Actually, this raises a good point. For the UBI advocates on this thread, is it tied to inflation? How do you ensure that UBI doesn't have the same problem as minimum wage - having to go through a legislative process every decade to reopen the debate when the amount is again insufficient? And how do you ensure there's still a pool to draw from when the economy has a downturn and taxes are at a low?

6 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

* Actually, this raises a good point. For the UBI advocates on this thread, is it tied to inflation? How do you ensure that UBI doesn't have the same problem as minimum wage - having to go through a legislative process every decade to reopen the debate when the amount is again insufficient? 

I'm not a UBI advocate but I can answer this for you because it's a similar thing with The Fair Tax (calculating the amount of income that is tax-free).  There is a Poverty Level Index released by the Feds every year.  This index tells that $X gross income is the poverty threshold.  That is, anybody reporting a gross income less than $X is considered as living in poverty.  The UBI can be tied to the poverty index so no further Congressional vote needs to be done to change the UBI to keep up with inflation or cost of living, etc.

6 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

And how do you ensure there's still a pool to draw from when the economy has a downturn and taxes are at a low?

And that's the problem with getting a government to handle money.  The government's answer is, of course, to increase the debt ceiling (I AM STILL FUMING AT THIS WITH THE BUDGET TRUMP SIGNED YESTERDAY).  My answer is - never ever give the government the task of re-distributing money.

12 hours ago, anatess2 said:

I'm not a UBI advocate but I can answer this for you because it's a similar thing with The Fair Tax (calculating the amount of income that is tax-free).  There is a Poverty Level Index released by the Feds every year.  This index tells that $X gross income is the poverty threshold.  That is, anybody reporting a gross income less than $X is considered as living in poverty.  The UBI can be tied to the poverty index so no further Congressional vote needs to be done to change the UBI to keep up with inflation or cost of living, etc.

And that's the problem with getting a government to handle money.  The government's answer is, of course, to increase the debt ceiling (I AM STILL FUMING AT THIS WITH THE BUDGET TRUMP SIGNED YESTERDAY).  My answer is - never ever give the government the task of re-distributing money.

And yet you were good with the tax changes that increased the deficit by default for at least the next five years before it starts to change to the better (if one believes Republicans) or even MORE long term (if you believe the Democrats)?

Just accept that the Republicans now are no longer acting as the Republicans did 7 years ago...or even 4 years ago...or even 3 years ago.  Now that they are in power they are acting like the Democrats did with the budget...but in some ways even worse...no concern at all for it...really...

Which calls into question, what exactly DID they stand for back then.  Were they actually being honest, or just said all that stuff because they didn't think that it would ever pass, and it's now that they actually show their true colors?

Edited by JohnsonJones

1 hour ago, Sunday21 said:

I am not claiming to be an advocate for UBI. I am interested in the pilots in the various countries. 

Thankfully, my Christmas Wish will come true on the Real Christmas. :)

Jamie Oliver was instrumental in making it happen, and is a great ambassador of appeasing the appetite in a healthy sort of way.

Heylo is coming too, which sounds to good to be true, but prolly will just be another amazing innovation, towards FREE FOOD FOR EVERYONE. :wub: