BYU vs. Gonzaga and missionary uniforms

MrShorty

This came across my computer today.

https://utahvalley360.com/2018/01/31/byu-basketball-responds-gonzaga-administrators-discouraging-students-dressing-lds-missionaries/

https://www.gonzagabulletin.com/sports/article_def92928-05eb-11e8-aa50-3b73aab673dc.html

I am not quite sure what to make of it myself. Part of me applauds GU's administration for being sensitive to the possibility of religious persecution (even if the BYU basketball team does not find this that offensive).

“Thinking about religion persecution and allowing people to celebrate their faith in a honorable way is critical,” Vandenboom said. “As Catholics, and we're not all Catholic, but how do we persecute or make fun of another religion when we are sitting here at our university because of that. It just is not right.”

I am reminded of a BYU - Utah football game I attended at Rice-Eccles where a BYU fan shouted something about "taking down the Native Americans" that felt like it crossed a line. (I recognize that this anecdote introduces a racial element that can be especially sensitive in modern culture). Dressing up like LDS missionaries is not racial, but does it cross a line between " trying to create an awesome environment where there is a sense for our student athletes and hostility towards the opponents so they are uncomfortable in their environment. " -- (Gonzaga Bulletin) and real religious persecution?

My impression is that the GU administration is taking this more seriously than we as LDS are. Anybody have thoughts?

Guest MormonGator

College sports are always a little quirky. BYU kids could dress as friars or Catholic priests to even the score a little bit. It's mostly just college kids having fun. It's hardly offensive or crossing the line. 

Some of things we did in college hockey games would probably make people cry today. 

Edited by MormonGator

Reading the discussions about this elsewhere, I realized this reminds me a bit of a time when there was a bit of an uproar about baptisms for the dead and somebody made a site where you could submit Mormons' names to be turned gay. In both cases, what is actually being done isn't much and doesn't have a significant emotional impact on me, but the reasons could be a little troubling. In this case, probably most of the kids dressing up don't have real malintent. But as at least one commenter elsewhere pointed out, if it were my people doing such things - like dressing as friars or priests - I would be disappointed in them because from here, that looks and feels disrespectful. And just because it's normal for college kids to be thoughtless doesn't mean it's right.

Guest MormonGator

I guess my biggest concern is how thin skinned we  (Americans, not LDS) are becoming. Playful teasing-which this is- shouldn't be looked at as an excuse to break out the snowflake "I'm offended see I'm a victim too" card. Sometimes the best way to counteract fraternity boy razzing isn't to whine, it's to come up with something more clever. 

Edited by MormonGator

I agree that we need to be thick skinned about these kinds of things. It does no one any good to be so thin skinned that they cannot tolerate some good natured ribbing. At the same time, I wonder if the administration is seeing a slippery slope that potentially leads towards blaspheming something that another church/religion believes is sacred. Where does dressing up as another church's "minister" cross the line? Someone dressing up as BY with several women dressed up his "harem"? Both Catholics and Mormons have certain "ceremonial clothing" associated with ordinances that would definitely cross lines.

I kind of like the "light handed" way they are handling this. They aren't outright banning the practice -- just asking the students and community to think about their motivations and their attitudes towards what is going on. Evaluate their own level of animosity and what message they are trying to project and see if it really lines up with their values. I wonder if the real value here is to recognize the slippery slope so that we and they can think about the difference between good natured ribbing, competition, and "trash talk"; and real hate and persecution so that we don't go that far down the slippery slope.

You know when a society starts to die... is when humor - especially caustic sarcasm - has no place in it anymore.

In general, women - when faced with extreme hardships and emotional trauma, cry.  Men laugh.  It's a way for making life more bearable.  Taking this away from college campuses is one way to train men to be weak.  Roasting (and I don't mean food) is a Catholic tradition.  Mormons can learn from the masters.  ;)

Guest MormonGator
11 hours ago, MrShorty said:

I wonder if the real value here is to recognize the slippery slope so that we and they can think about the difference between good natured ribbing, competition, and "trash talk"; and real hate and persecution so that we don't go that far down the slippery slope.

Amen bud. A good way to tell if you are being persecuted or not: If your biggest problem is what college kids wear to a basketball game, than you are not being persecuted in any way, shape, or form.