Partner Brings Kids Visiting Teaching: Seeking Advice

AJ77

**update. I ended up emailing my relief society president. Our presidency has been asking us to let them know if we are having challenges with visiting teaching, so I took her up on it. I let her know what was happening. She ended up giving me a new partner who needs to go in the evenings. She said she'd reassign my partner a partner that can go during the day and will be sure to give her sisters that have small kids. So far it's been great. My new partner seems like she's on the same page with things as me. Who knows if my old partner will take her kids still, but at least it's no longer my problem. Thanks for all the ideas. It was helpful.

4 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

**update. I ended up emailing my relief society president. Our presidency has been asking us to let them know if we are having challenges with visiting teaching, so I took her up on it. I let her know what was happening. She ended up giving me a new partner who needs to go in the evenings. She said she'd reassign my partner a partner that can go during the day and will be sure to give her sisters that have small kids. So far it's been great. My new partner seems like she's on the same page with things as me. Who knows if my old partner will take her kids still, but at least it's no longer my problem. Thanks for all the ideas. It was helpful.

Aren't they doing away with visiting teaching as we know it?

@pam: As far as I know, they aren't doing away with it, but they are reforming it. What I know is they aren't emphasizing the need to sit down in someone's living room with them while you read a message from the ensign anymore. You are just supposed to befriend your assigned ladies and be helpful to them and minister to them and their unique needs. The way I interpret it is, you're supposed to make contact with them at least once a month in some way and foster a relationship with them. With my situation, I kept making suggestions with my partner to visit our sisters in ways that didn't require us to go to their house, but she didn't feel like we were doing our job if we didn't. I think the new changes take time to take effect.