The Purpose For Baptism In The Holy Spirit

What is the purpose of the baptism in the Holy Spirit?

1. Some say it is a spiritual sanctification that empowers us to live holy.

2. Some say it is a reception of spiritual power--especially for witnessing.

3. Some say it is a reception of spiritual gifts.

4. Some say it is an infilling that allows a greater expression of the fruits of the Spirit. Gal 5:22-23

Perhaps you've heard other answers. Perhaps you would answer "all of the above." However, what is your understanding of the primary purpose of baptism in the Holy Spirit?

I would agree with all of the above. The only one I'd add, which may be the greatest purpose of all, is the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost. It is one thing to have occasional manifestations of the Holy Ghost to teach us truth. It is much more to have the constant companionship, which allows us to have the Holy Ghost present with us at all times, so long as we are worthy. This companionship can only come to those who have been baptized by immersion by the proper authority, and who continue to be worthy of it.

A couple of interesting observations. Communion is your main focus. I like that. Interesting that water baptism and proper authority also get mentioned here. You probably know that Pentecostals look more to the evidence of Spirit-baptism (tongues), while Charismatics would probably look for the inward testimony (sense). Baptists, ironically, would say that Spirit-baptism is concurrent with conversion, and is likely prior to water baptism.

BTW, as a side question--would an LDS baptism ever take place by means other than immersion (for example, if someone was dying, and could not physically be immersed?)

I would actually say He is the prayer in your heart or to pray constantly - for us using the Holy Ghost or having him use you is different to the Gift of the Holy Ghost. He is almost my favourite of most familiar member of the Godhead as he is my connection with God.

We have an old lady in our branch who is terrified of baptism and really too old and ill to go through it she lives the gospel as best she can and has made plans for one of the young sisters to do her baptism vicariously.

-Charley

It's ironic that the uniquely LDS sacrament of baptism for the dead allows you to be thoroughly Baptist in your baptisms for the living. :-)

I was curious because, while my church also normally requires baptism by immersion, I have used pouring on dying believers--most recently my aunt.

Whatever man, we LDS will lower someone into the water strapped to a board if we have to!

It should be noted that LDS acknowledge that a person can be 'born of the Spirit' BEFORE baptism. This would mean that the person receives a manifestation from the Holy Ghost wherein they are first converted or won over to Christ. This is no small thing or a sidenote in a book. This is the very first thing the missionaries teach and it is exactly what they are looking for. Our declaration to the world is that the Restored Gospel message is from God and He WILL let any man who asks know of its truthfulness by the Holy Spirit.

Now, after one is Baptized, they receive the laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost. If they are worthy and seek this gift, it is bestowed by the Holy Ghost himself. This gift is the constant companionship of the Holy Spirit. The main purpose of this gift is revelation. This person is now able to feel the Holy Ghost at all times and in all places so long as they hearken to His counsel.

Now, the purpose of the Holy Spirit is first to convert, then to edify, to cleanse, and to remind, He also bestows the spiritual gifts such as tongues. All of this empowers.

-a-train

Whatever man, we LDS will lower someone into the water strapped to a board if we have to!

Sorry...I shouldn't have used the B (aptist) -word. :lol:

Now, the purpose of the Holy Spirit is first to convert, then to edify, to cleanse, and to remind, He also bestows the spiritual gifts such as tongues. All of this empowers.

-a-train

I remember coming back from summer Bible camp, excitedly telling my Sunday School teacher that I had received the baptism in the Holy Spirit, and had spoken in tongues. She responded, "Oh? So, are you finding it easier to live out the fruits of the Spirit?" Yeah...there is THAT. :sparklygrin:

• 3 weeks later...