Couples meet on mission?

Juloe

I knew a guy who did in my last ward!  He taught a woman in Argentina, and after the mission he went back to Argentina and they wound up getting married.  It worked out well for them!

I also knew a sister missionary who taught a French guy but he didn't get baptized.  They kept writing after she returned home, and then she flew to France several years later and married him, THEN he finally joined the Church.  They have been happily married for something like fifteen years now!

That said, any such relationships should only take place AFTER the mission is over (of course), and some caution should be exercised - dating someone you taught carries its own unique problems, especially if the relationship doesn't work out.  

9 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

I knew a guy who did in my last ward!  He taught a woman in Argentina, and after the mission he went back to Argentina and they wound up getting married.  It worked out well for them!

I also knew a sister missionary who taught a French guy but he didn't get baptized.  They kept writing after she returned home, and then she flew to France several years later and married him, THEN he finally joined the Church.  They have been happily married for something like fifteen years now!

That said, any such relationships should only take place AFTER the mission is over (of course), and some caution should be exercised - dating someone you taught carries its own unique problems, especially if the relationship doesn't work out.  

What problems could their be?

1 minute ago, Juloe said:

Well, let's say you are a missionary, and you baptize someone.  You then finish your mission, and fly back and date them, and it goes horribly and you break up.  Perhaps such a breakup could shake their young testimony in some cases?  Perhaps it would shake the young testimonies of their close family members?

I am not saying it is a bad idea, but just something to keep in mind if you do date someone you taught.  Something to perhaps pray about at the outset.

Just now, Juloe said:

In general: When you know someone on their mission you know a very specific side of them.  After the mission you got to learn how they juggle a day job, other hobbies, etc.

If things go badly: one of the reasons missionaries are expressly forbidden to date is because a person should by converted to the Gospel and NOT the missionary.  You should have a testimony in CHRIST.   So no dating.  If post-mission crush ends in break up, the convert could be really hurt and have it hurt their relationship with the Gospel. 

There was someone on here who had been attracted to a missionary involved in her conversion.  After his mission he came back, took advantage of her, and immediately left her as someone not good enough to marry.  In other words - any problem that can happen between men and women could happen, and the trust established during the teaching-learning-conversion process can be terribly abused.

45 minutes ago, zil said:

There was someone on here who had been attracted to a missionary involved in her conversion.  After his mission he came back, took advantage of her, and immediately left her as someone not good enough to marry.  In other words - any problem that can happen between men and women could happen, and the trust established during the teaching-learning-conversion process can be terribly abused.

A very tragic story, but true.

I know someone whose son served in Australia (Mandarin speaking I think) and he met his future wife 8 months before he went home. She was an Investigator and did get baptized but I don't know if he was the one who baptized her. She was going to school in Australia. Four months after he got home he contacted her and asked her to visit him in Canada. She came for a few months, they both went to China to visit her family, got engaged there and married in Canada a few months later. They are expecting their 3rd child.

M.

There was a Philippino member of my ward who met a sister on his mission and after the mission married her. They are less active now. The brother declared that he could never live up to her image of him which was formed while he was a missionary, after his mission he felt that he needed to put earning a living first and he was not the devout person that she thought he was.

A friend of mine, her son did. I was surprised because I have no idea where they found the time to get to know each other. ?. But all seems well. 

Still, “Missionary time is not the time for love, Dr. Jones!”  :)

Edited by warnerfranklin
Grammar